Sign in to follow this  
Menrva

Templates for Veltro's YF-12A

It seems there are no available templates for this fast bird. Wrench once released a SF2 updated version, but it contained a white (and I guess fictional) texture.

I think it would be great to have a black texture like its recon counterpart, the SR-71. It surely would be an alternative to those who don't have access to A-Team stuff.

I'd really like to try paint the plane and update it a bit (wrong camera views allow to see the 'interior' of the fuselage), but I need templates, if anyone is willing to create them (I'm not good with that kind of stuff).

as far as the model is concerned its gone..for painting try this, its an old one and still in BMP format

YF-12.rar

Edited by Veltro2k

just remembered something....I passed this model to someone to do a brake chute for it...cant remember who, so there might be a max file out there someplace

Veltro, we do appreciate the help you offer with the tiles you give. however, in templates most i think are looking for one finished skin, with at least one additional layer featuring the panel lines and nonchanging parts such as engines and tires. that makes it easier to take a blankish skin and change it up (such as what i'm trying to do with the Starlifters and Galaxys). not saying this doesn't help anyone, just that i dont think its what most of the lesser skilled skinners look for.

I was thinking of doing the same thing with the YF-12A Blaze95 is considering.

Thought I'd have to redraw the lines and rivets, etc. and make a template.

I will make it if necessary, but not right now.  Have other irons in the fire.

sorry guys that's all I have

Thanks for the replies, guys! Don't worry Veltro, thanks to you we still have some of the most exotic and finest 3d models ever seen in a flight simulator.

Geary, I will wait for your template, I already imagine a what if YF-12A in SEA camo like the ones you've made for other planes.

you know the F-12 is a completely different aircraft than the SR71, right??? There's almost not comparison. While "close" in general shape, there are MAJOR differences.

btw, thanks for the lined map Ed!!

Edited by Wrench

Thanks for the replies, guys! Don't worry Veltro, thanks to you we still have some of the most exotic and finest 3d models ever seen in a flight simulator.

Geary, I will wait for your template, I already imagine a what if YF-12A in SEA camo like the ones you've made for other planes.

blaze95,

I hadn't thought about an SEA camo skin for this plane.  I had thought to match it with the SR71.  But first things first.  I'll get the template done ASAP.

Geary, sorry if I created some misunderstanding. I'd really like to see a dark skin matching the SR-71 first, but then considering that you've made various what if planes with the SEA camo, I had the idea of trying a similar thing with the YF-12A (after all it could have been deployed to Vietnam). However I'm not a 'what if' guy, so my first wish is to see the YF-12A in black colour. Thank you very much for your interest in this project.

blaze95,

I've attached a quick template for the YF-12.  It is only a .psd file. 

Nothing fancy.  Just a few redrawn line and rivets.  Unfortunately due to a glitch, the panel lines and rivets layers got merged.

The plane needs work, such at it doesn't have the sounds called for in the data.ini file; missing the F18Afterburner tga; missing the AIM-47 missile. 

This needs lots of work, but has potential.  If you find anything in the template that needs correcting, let me know or please, correct it and share.

Enjoy.

A couple of quick shots of the bird.  The black skin is a quick paint bucket splash with some inverted decals and a cloud layer.

YF-12-1.jpg

YF-12-2.jpg

sorry guys that's all I have

Is all good by me. You have the model making skills. The rest of us make em colorful. Or shiny. Or whatever they should look like. I was just tryin to tell what works best, esp for those not named Sundowner oor Centurion

As for the AIM-47, didn't the -54 derive from it?

Edited by daddyairplanes

I've attached a quick template for the YF-12.  It is only a .psd file. 

Nothing fancy.  Just a few redrawn line and rivets.  Unfortunately due to a glitch, the panel lines and rivets layers got merged.

The plane needs work, such at it doesn't have the sounds called for in the data.ini file; missing the F18Afterburner tga; missing the AIM-47 missile. 

This needs lots of work, but has potential.  If you find anything in the template that needs correcting, let me know or please, correct it and share.

Geary, thanks a lot. It is exactly what I was looking for. You should upload it so people can effectively download your work. BTW I have no problem with sounds and the missile works, while the missing afterburner makes me think it has SF2 level afterburner nodes, those that we miss in the first generation of SF.

you must not be using the SF2 remod version I uploaded. It's a complete pak with everything. AB emitters were switched to a stock 3W one

Geary, thanks a lot. It is exactly what I was looking for. You should upload it so people can effectively download your work. BTW I have no problem with sounds and the missile works, while the missing afterburner makes me think it has SF2 level afterburner nodes, those that we miss in the first generation of SF.

That template still needs work, but it'll get you started. (Think I might rework the SR-71 panel lines and rivets when I get a chance.) I'll upload some of my reworked lines and rivets when I get them cleaned up. In the meantime if

someone needs or wants one I've done and it's releasable, all they have to do is ask. Don't forget to publish some pics of your work.

you must not be using the SF2 remod version I uploaded. It's a complete pak with everything. AB emitters were switched to a stock 3W one

Found all the missing items in the your remod version Wrench. I was using the DAT version. Thanks.

Slightly improved templates.

While I was counting rivets I came up short a few, so I added some.

Also added 'grime lines.' 

Readjusted panel line and rivet opacity.

Added 'bits' to both sides of fuselage.

Small tweaks here and there.

YF-12_Templates.7z

Thanks again Geary. RL is taking most of my time though, so it will take a while before I can post a screenshot. However I already started painting the plane and I think the final result will be good. It will be probably my first upload.

Edited by blaze95

Finally I finished my school exams. Below I attached two pictures of the YF-12A skin I made thanks to Geary's template. Still I'm not happy with my work because of the horrible, low-res decals painted on the skin (I don't know how to use the decals.ini properly). Anyone feel free to post any suggestions.

Edited by blaze95
  • Like 2

Decal hunting, making, borrowing, happening-on-by-chance,  is a whole other art form.

Decal placing is a major pain in the head. 

Congrats on your school exams.

Nice paint job.

Thanks Geary. I know, decal placing is probably the most difficult task. As of now I'd like to finish a new terrain project for SF2 (it's a remake of the Iran/Iraq terrain). I'll probably add and remove some small details from the skin and release it for download if it seems reasonably good.

seriousily?? it ain't all that hard

take a known position of something on the aircraft, like a light or the pilot,  place a decal near it. move to position desired. repeat as necessary.

one MUST know how to read a data ini, of course

Edited by Wrench

Ah! I can read a data .ini all right, it's just that I don't want to waste my time trying to find the correct position for each decal.

wow.

• Like 1