Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

Look! I'm a console player now!

not mad. my dream is to get a 90+ inch screen to use as my monitor......

Ok scratch previous. Saw pic last night on tablet, couldn't see what was in your hands.

Edited by daddyairplanes

I have a PS4 and love it.

Traitor ... na just kiddin'

I'm not going to lie though console games have are getting to be like PC games (graphics wise) you don't have to worry about constantly updating software, hardware, etc. Downside is though you can't mod them. Which is why I like PC.

I remember a time when there was  a huge gap between a console game and a PC game (graphics wise, performance wise too)

In the end that looks like a fun game you're playing there sir.

Oh yeah I forgot they had that. It's their attempt to make more money or so I've been told by TW.

(facepalm)

You guys are killing me here....

Does anyone notice what the controller I'm using is?

FC

Daddyairplanes...no worries. I was using this example to show a particular advancement in technology.

FC

(facepalm)

You guys are killing me here....

Does anyone notice what the controller I'm using is?

FC

Looks like a smartphone or mini tablet - you streaming it wireless (airplay/chromecast) or using wires (HDMI / VGA)?

Migbuster, you got it my friend. It's a Nexus 5 phone streaming to a Chromecast. Google just rolled out a public beta of the Chromecast app that 'casts whatever is on the screen of your phone directly to the TV...you no longer need an app that has Chromecast support built in.

So of course I had to see how well it works with a 3D app. The answer...pretty darn good. You can see in the photo that there is a very slight bit of lag (note the position of the radar sweep on the screen vs on the phone) but it was undetectable in real world play.

This got me thinking of just how powerful our phones are getting. Think about it...the phone was producing 1080p 3d imaging at least at 24 fps, and dumping all that through the WiFi at the same time. The TV screen was almost at the same res (not sure why there was cutoff...my downstairs TV showed the full image at 1080p) plus all the sound. All this on hardware not dedicated to gaming.

Certain consoles are able to do something similar...the Wii U with its controller and the PS4 with the PS Vita. Even Steam now has that functionality...you can play on a low end computer games it couldn't normally play because the actual heavy lifting is being done by your gaming strength computer that is streaming to the low end computer.

It makes me wonder if the future of console gaming will have 'controllers' that are actually the entire console. That they will stream to a simple, small device that plugs into a port on your TV. Or simply stream to any device that it would support through various protocols. Basically, the Ouya concept, except as a controller with more power. Or a PS Vita type device that can stream to anything...no PSx needed because it would BE the PSx.

FC

• Like 1

Yeah I have been using airplay and adapters for sometime for some time to send desktop and video to large displays - and have been waiting for a universal standard built into every device - something like miracast - http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034563.htm

Smart phones are just mini PCs really - so their performance should increment every year, but they are very low in terms of computing power because everything needs to be optimized for power saving due to the pathetic battery life and no space for cooling - hence the use of ARM CPUs for example.

The Samsung Galaxy S5 is I guess high end - that has a 2.5Ghz quad core CPU with 2GB RAM with 1080p native display. With Solid State memory its more than fast enough to run web based stuff like You tube videos and basic low resource games - which is all it needs to do.   

It will be interesting to see how far they can push the performance without increasing cooling & power over time.

I've not yet run into a thing my S5 couldn't do. Granted I've not yet tried to do anything like that.

Considering this post was done in 2014, the S7 Edge that was released last year had an octa core processor (2.3 quad for heavy lifting + 1.6 Quad for light use) and a 4GB ram. that's more numbers than the first laptop i had. Not to mention that this phone doubles as a camera, an mp3 player, an alarm clock, a personnal assistance,a Playstation or a gameboy, a navigation device  and can survive a sudden typhoon and getting drunk at a pool party. 

Can it make a phone call without dropping it?

• Like 1

Can it make a phone call without dropping it?

:haha: