Sign in to follow this  
ironroad

From the Golden Era of Naval Aviation

No MTV-type ADHD visuals or annoying and repetitive "dubstep" music here.

US NAVY and Grumman's "Sea Legs" film short.

Edited by ironroad
  • Like 3

That video can be found on a great compilation of  Grumman videos on Amazon. Look for "F-14 Tomcat And Navy Fighter Weapons School "Top Gun," at NAS Miramar" (2008)" . The AIMVAL/ACEVAL video that's included on the disc was recently used in an updated video , "Bogeys and Bandits", that we produces over a year ago at Northrop Grumman and can be found on You Tube. " No Points for Second Place" is  classic and the Miramar Air Combat Maneuvering piece alone  is worth the price.

Love this. Best part is seeing the Enterprise in a configuration similar to Vietnam CVAN-65 with the square tower with billboard radar and cone on top at 3:14.

Edited by streakeagle

is agreat sadness to me t see somany F-14 in SF2 NA and many USN aircraft carrier still miss.

I desire to see a new detailed class Forrestal , new Kitti Hawk, USS Kessedy and USS America.

And would be nice for F-4 Phantom to have USS Midway , USS Coral Sea and USS F.D. Roosevelt.

I think that in this way SF2 NA will be very completed.

And would be nice for F-4 Phantom to have USS Midway , USS Coral Sea 

YAP

YAP is not enought ...... SF2 NA have most possibilities to be improved

With a few of .ini editing you can do it

Can you explain ? what you mean ?

Changing the DATA.ini of the YAP units with the NA Standard. PauloPanz has done it for example with the enterprise

I've too the Enterprise by YAP , good carrier yes(whit paolopanz modification),  but I talk abuot class Forrestal, Ranger Independence and Saratoga.

There's nothing for these carrier units.

And noone have make the USS America and USS Kennedy.

I've too the Enterprise by YAP , good carrier yes(whit paolopanz modification),  but I talk abuot class Forrestal, Ranger Independence and Saratoga.

There's nothing for these carrier units.

And noone have make the USS America and USS Kennedy.

The America class is avaible for SF2 NA , in fact, it is one of the stock carrier type alonsgide the Nimitz class. So I don't understand your point. About the Forrestal, the A-team has a very old model representing them.  Try them.

Onestly I've class forrestal units for WoV .... but i Think strongly that for SF2 NA there's need of model most detailed .

I have many blue prints and PDF manual .

If there's some modder who can make I can help whit my material .....

Saw a glimpse of a '70's/ '80's VF-102 phantom II from the USS Independence (my old ship) in the video. Very cool stuff.

Phantom's Phorever! My dad was a saxophone player in the band on the USS America in the mid to late '60s. What a job as an enlisted? Play music and drink with the officers. He loved the RA-5 Vigilante the best. I believe he did a Med cruise and got out before the America went to Vietnam. I need to get more details from him.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By JamesWilson
      Hi everyone,
      I'm trying to recreate the 1st Gulf of Sidra Incident with my F-14A Tomcats and my Su-22M3 Fitters, doing it extremely historically accurate, paying attention to every little detail.
      So far i've done everything, and it's almost identical to the real one, but there's ONE issue i can't figure out, let me explain:
      During the morning of the 19th of August 1981 two F-14A Tomcats intercepted two Libyan Su-22M3 Fitters in the Gulf of Sidra.
      The Fitters were equipped with two AA-2 "Atoll".
      Just before the merge, while nose-to-nose, one of the two Fitters fired a missile to one of the two Tomcats, but being the missile a very old and primitive heatseeker, it started tracked and going for the Tomcat, but as soon as the F-14 made a slight break, the Atoll lost its track.
      The PROBLEM IS:
      There's no way i can make the Fitters shoot the missiles before merging, if only the AA-2, or any other equippable missile was all-aspect or radar guided just like the R-23, i think it would work.
      I tried having a head-on merge with two Mig-23 Floggers equipped with radar guided R-23s and they shot at me before merging.
      I tried all other available missiles and nothing changed, some didn't show either.
      I tried copying and pasting the Data file from the Aim-7 to the R-60 Data file, and nothing changed.
      I tried changing the loadout file to R-23, but the Fitters show up without any weapon since there's no R-23 option in loadout for Su-23M3s, so i think it's not possible to have them (and would be historically inaccurate too).
      I tried changing enemy difficulty from Normal to Hard, but nothing changes still.
      The only thing the Fitters do is shooting their guns just before the merge, but no missiles are fired when nose-to-nose.
      Is there a way to fix this? A way i can make my Fitters fire at least one of their missiles when we're nose-to-nose, just like when i got nose-to-nose against Floggers equipped with R-23s?
      Is it a problem with the enemy AI? Or with the missiles? Or maybe even with the Su-22M3 Fitter i'm using?
      Thank you very much for helping me
    • By JamesWilson
      Hi,
      after seeing the TMF F-14 has wrong and inaccurate speed and fuel indicators, i found out the default Third Wire F-14 has working and accurate ones, but i dont wanna use it cause the TMF Tomcat is better and the cockpit too more realistic too, so can you switch the speed and fuel indicators on the TMF F-14 with the default Third Wire F-14? And for fuel too? Do you need to 3D model and/or do something else other than edit some text files?
       And is it or it's not possible to do?
      Down here are 2 pictures from the correct cockpit in the default Third Wire F-14:

And 2 from the TMF F-14 (the inaccurate one):

Thanks for helping.
    • By Spinners

View File [Fictional] McDonnell Douglas F-4M USAFE
      McDonnell Douglas F-4M (USAF) Phantom for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2:Europe
      This is a simple mod of the stock F-4M_75 to give a fictional USAFE Phantom F-4M with markings for all three squadrons of the 48th Tactical Fighter Wing based at RAF Lakenheath during the mid 1970's.

BACKSTORY
      During late 1966 with the USA getting more and more embroiled in the Vietnam war it was decided to re-equip several USAFE units with the British licence-built F-4M so as to release older tactical aircraft such as the F-100D and F-105D for Vietnam where attrition was now a very serious issue. 
      McDonnell Douglas had already brought together a UK sub-contracting team consisting of BAC, Hawker Siddeley, Rolls-Royce (for the Spey turbofan engines) and Shorts with final assembly and flight testing being carried out at St. Louis but, with one eye on the European market, McDonnell Douglas moved final assembly to Brough (North Humberside) with flight testing at Holme on Spalding Moor. This decision came a bit late for the Royal Navy whose F-4K aircraft continued to be assembled and flight tested in the USA but all F-4M's were produced in the UK with all odd production numbers being allocated to the RAF and all even numbers to the USAFE with Lakenheath and Bitburg becoming the first USAFE wings to re-equip with the type.
      Entering service with the 48th Tactical Fighter Wing based at RAF Lakenheath in England in 1970 the F-4M's received a modest upgrade during 1973-1974 to emerge with the Marconi ARI18228 RWR mounted on the fintip and also gained 'slimer' formation-keeping strip lights. The USAF F-4M's had a relatively long career with USAFE and were eventually replaced by F-15E's during 1990 and just missed out on participation in Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-4M_74 folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-4M_74 folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      As always, thanks to Third Wire for a great little game/sim.
      And, finally, thanks to everyone in the wider Third Wire community.
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 2 - February 16th, 2024.
      Submitter Spinners Submitted 01/23/2010 Category What If Hangar  
    • By Spinners
      McDonnell Douglas F-4M (USAF) Phantom for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2:Europe
      This is a simple mod of the stock F-4M_75 to give a fictional USAFE Phantom F-4M with markings for all three squadrons of the 48th Tactical Fighter Wing based at RAF Lakenheath during the mid 1970's.

BACKSTORY
      During late 1966 with the USA getting more and more embroiled in the Vietnam war it was decided to re-equip several USAFE units with the British licence-built F-4M so as to release older tactical aircraft such as the F-100D and F-105D for Vietnam where attrition was now a very serious issue. 
      McDonnell Douglas had already brought together a UK sub-contracting team consisting of BAC, Hawker Siddeley, Rolls-Royce (for the Spey turbofan engines) and Shorts with final assembly and flight testing being carried out at St. Louis but, with one eye on the European market, McDonnell Douglas moved final assembly to Brough (North Humberside) with flight testing at Holme on Spalding Moor. This decision came a bit late for the Royal Navy whose F-4K aircraft continued to be assembled and flight tested in the USA but all F-4M's were produced in the UK with all odd production numbers being allocated to the RAF and all even numbers to the USAFE with Lakenheath and Bitburg becoming the first USAFE wings to re-equip with the type.
      Entering service with the 48th Tactical Fighter Wing based at RAF Lakenheath in England in 1970 the F-4M's received a modest upgrade during 1973-1974 to emerge with the Marconi ARI18228 RWR mounted on the fintip and also gained 'slimer' formation-keeping strip lights. The USAF F-4M's had a relatively long career with USAFE and were eventually replaced by F-15E's during 1990 and just missed out on participation in Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-4M_74 folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-4M_74 folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      As always, thanks to Third Wire for a great little game/sim.
      And, finally, thanks to everyone in the wider Third Wire community.
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 2 - February 16th, 2024.
    • By JamesWilson
      Hi everyone,
      I just noticed that the speed indicator in the F-14 Tomcat by TMF (TheMirageFactory) only shows up to 800 kts, and the Mach indicator does not move, not letting you know the speed of the aircraft if you have your HUD turned off.
      As you can see down here, i'm at Mach 2.23, but the indicator only shows 800 kts and doesn't go above. Obviously it adapts to my altitude, so if i'm higher, then the IAS is lower, but still should move, making it impossible flying at high speed without HUD turned on as i have it down here:

Another issue, maybe even worse than the previous one, is that the fuel indicator shows wrong numbers, or as i may think, it shows "a number less". For example: if i have 20000 pounds of fuel left, it should show 20000, but it shows 02000. This is a theory on how it works, not confirmed, and i'm gonna explain you why i think it is like that:
      I hardly think i truly have 2000 pounds of fuel left, cause i choose Fuel 100% and tried climbing and flying for a long time with full afterburner, and the numbers slowly started going down, even reached the point of burning the engine at Mach 2.30and the fuel wasn't gone yet, it showed i had like 00700 left, so i presume it's 20000 in reality, otherwise i would have been out of fuel in no time, since it's a quantity even under the bingo quantity, but i flew for minutes and minutes in full afterburner, and at 8x speed, so. Speaking of Bingo, there's no bingo indicator.
      Here's a picture of the fuel indicator:

I tried the default F-14 cockpit, and even if that one shows correctly both speed and fuel indicators and even if it's a great cockpit, i personally like more and find more realistic and immersive the TMF one.
      In the end, since these two indicators are crucial, especially for flying without HUD, and the fuel indicator especially, since there's no way to know how much fuel you have left even with HUD turned on other than the cockpit indicator.
      So, what i'm asking is:
      Is there a way to fix these? A mod that remakes the indicators? Or another cockpit that is not the default one that i can use to swap this one?
      Thanks in advance for helping me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..