Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

The Scorpion at Farnborough

textron_Sorp.jpg

Whit Peters, part of the company behind the Scorpion, was involved in the F-35 when he was Secretary of the US Air Force in the 1990s.

A few years ago, he and some colleagues had an idea for a new, light tactical fighter for general security and reconnaissance, positioned between existing cheaper, but ageing aircraft, and full-on strike fighters.

"We were pretty sure that there was a gap in the market," Mr Peters says. "It was about building something with enough tactical capacity to satisfy customers, but that also had low running costs. We are in an era when defence departments are facing budget cuts."

No customers

His company, AirLand, pitched the concept to manufacturers, but it was Textron, the US giant behind Cessna corporate jets and Bell Helicopters, that grabbed the opportunity.

In 2012, Textron AirLand Enterprises was born. "It started with a team of about 10, a whiteboard and a clean sheet," Mr Peters says.

What makes the aircraft so ambitious is that it was conceived and built without a launch customer. Indeed, there is still no customer, which is why the Farnborough debut in front of military delegations from all over the world is so important.

Normally, projects on this scale would secure government money and a design deal at an early stage. Not this one.

Bill Anderson, Textron AirLand's president, will not reveal how much the company has invested. But analysts estimate the cost would be at least $100m to get just one show-plane ready.

"Was it very risky? Yes. Was it a smart risk? Yes," says Mr Anderson. "But the marketplace is very interested. We produce commercial products all the time. That was the approach here."

A lot of the technology inside the Scorpion comes from Textron's top-of-the-range Cessna Citation corporate jet. Some companies approached to get involved jumped at the chance. Others shied away.

'Some got it, some didn't'

"When you take on a new challenge there are always sceptics," says Mr Anderson. "Some of the companies that turned us down did so because [the Scorpion] was not in their comfort zone.

The Textron pitch to sub-contractors was to view the aircraft as a commercial project with military potential. "Some got it, some didn't. Those that didn't are starting to show interest now," he says.

The use of off-the-shelf components keeps the cost down, but does that mean the aircraft is low-tech?

"I would not use the phrase low-tech," Mr Anderson says. "I prefer to call it mature technology. There's nothing low-tech about a Martin Baker ejection seat or a weapons system."

The two-seat, twin-engine Scorpion, made of advanced composites used in civil aircraft, will carry infrared air-to-air missiles and wing-mounted gun pods.

Border control, reconnaissance, maintaining no-fly zones: these are the main functions. Indeed, that is the role of most fighter aircraft missions these days.

Mr Anderson says the Scorpion's big selling point is its low operating costs - $3,000 an hour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28260781

Edited by MigBuster

I've seen this fly during my visits to Wichita. Nice little jet. And I do believe it has a place on today's battlefields.

Here comes the buts.

How long until they can prove the jets capabilities and weapons delivery? Its only been flying for a few months.

Will someone buy them?

With Textron owning both Cessna AND Beechcraft now, who is going to get the backing? BTW, two of the AT-6s are in attendance at Farnborough also.

Reminds me of the idea behind the NA.73 ,witch went on to be the P-51 Mustang . It got some respect I think ))). It's time goverments bought planes that worked on delivery insted of after years of cost over runs and up grades just to get on the bus going to the tarmac !!  Just a thought !

I think the real problem is this plane was needed 10 years ago. I think it showed up too late. Maybe in another few years the environment will be right for it to thrive, but not right now.

That's a funny way to remake the A-37.