Foxbat1966

Sea Harrier FRS twin AIM-9 mounts ?

I was diging around in some old books and found a referance to the FRS mk 1 in 1978 having a twin missile adaptor allowing for the carrie of 4 total sidewinders. Two on each outbord pylon. Anyone know if this was used in the Falklands and if so how ( or what to use ) to make it available in the SF2 Falklands campain ?   THANKS for the info and any suggestions  !

Aso dose anyone know it this is an avallable skin ?

post-64960-0-58411000-1405984053_thumb.jpg

I think you will find that in nearly every photo of a Sea Harrier during the Falklands, the loadout is two AIM-9s on outboard pylons and two fuel tanks on inboard pylons. Fleet air defense is best performed by an aircraft with a high endurance, which the Harrier is just the opposite, so firepower is sacrificed for more fuel, less drag, and lower weight.

Really want a pre war skin for the FRS.1 myself, Russo has/had something he was working on but as far as I'm aware it hasn't been released. As for twin rails I'm pretty sure they were developed in response to the Falklands experience rather than as an original capability:

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/aircraft/types/british-aerospace-sea-harrier.htm

Craig

Myself and ChrisBV were working on some new Sea Harrier bits but the nose of the model needed a lot of work and the model needed some smoothing and SF1 issues sorting which Russo started to look at for us but his work load was pretty high at the time so it was never finished and I didn't think it was good enough in it's current state to be released (originally a SF1 model so lots of issues with animations, decal bleeds, rough straight lines instead of curves etc).

The Pic above has the right wording for the colours but the colours themselves are wrong, i.e it correct says Extra Dark Sea Grey (which is grey) but shows blue etc. Here's what the correct colours looked like -

sh95.jpg

sh65.jpg

sh92.jpg

sh113.jpg

There was also two Twin AIM-9 rails built into the model for the '83+ model of the Sea Harrier but I don't have any pics of that right now.

***EDIT*** - Found a old menu screen with the twin rails -

sh107.jpg

Edited by ianh755
  • Like 4

Myself and ChrisBV were working on some new Sea Harrier bits but the nose of the model needed a lot of work and the model needed some smoothing and SF1 issues sorting which Russo started to look at for us but his work load was pretty high at the time so it was never finished and I didn't think it was good enough in it's current state to be released (originally a SF1 model so lots of issues with animations, decal bleeds, rough straight lines instead of curves etc).

The Pic above has the right wording for the colours but the colours themselves are wrong, i.e it correct says Extra Dark Sea Grey (which is grey) but shows blue etc. Here's what the correct colours looked like -

sh95.jpg

sh65.jpg

sh92.jpg

sh113.jpg

There was also two Twin AIM-9 rails built into the model for the '83+ model of the Sea Harrier but I don't have any pics of that right now.

***EDIT*** - Found a old menu screen with the twin rails -

sh107.jpg

Release date  :biggrin:  15 days?  :biggrin:

The last time I touched these was Dec '12 according to the JPG dates and I don't know whether Russo even has the models any more so I'd definitely say "2 weeks" grandpa.gif.pagespeed.ce.X5HWgPfEaQ.gif:biggrin:

Looks good enough for me
Just after flying the existing FRS.1 for about an hour or so until the game crashed on my way back to the ship  :angry: 
The model above may have issues as you say but its still lokos a not so insignifficant improvement over what is currently available... I say release it if it still exists... please...  :not_i:

Craig

Looks good enough for me

Just after flying the existing FRS.1 for about an hour or so until the game crashed on my way back to the ship  :angry: 

The model above may have issues as you say but its still lokos a not so insignifficant improvement over what is currently available... I say release it if it still exists... please...  :not_i:

Craig

I agree with my British friend 

I did have the model,and have copies,will look to see if it was the model after I lost that hd...which I have forgotten about,due to a lot of expenses lately I haven had the files retrieved yet,Next month I ll give them the go ahead...meantime I ll look at what state model I do in fact have.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info, I look forward to the new skins/plane. The Falklands War occered at a impreshinable time in my life and made the Harrier one of my FAVERITE aircraft ! The sim/mod made me realize even more what a feet both sides had to deal with . A BIG THANK YOU !!!  gose out to all involved in both the first (SF1 mod) and the (SF2) redux !!! It took me back to an earlyer time and place in life that I needed to retouch !! He who sayes GAMES are a wast of time has wasted some of there life.

James

• Like 1

I agree that it looks like a real improvement, and will be nice to have it.

Bump, before it moves to page 2 of the forum.

The twin AIM-9 installation on the outboard pylon of the SHAR FRS Mk. 1 was not standard fit before or during the Falklands campaign in 1982. It was one of a series of improvements that were accelerated during the conflict, such as the 190 Gal external fuel tanks for the inboard pylon. Quite a lot of modifications were made at short notice, including the 'Blue Eric' jammer, installed inside a gun pod, replacing one of the ADEN cannon. It used a transmitter taken from the Vulcan, and was tuned specifically to jam the Roland systems deployed at Port Stanley. Due to lack of cooling capacity, it had a maximum run time of 30 seconds before it needed to be switched off.

The initial AIM-9 fit on the Harrier GR Mk. 3 was also a rush job. Early after the conflict, two AIM-9Ls were fired by accident from a Harrier operating from a semi-prepared strip near Port Stanley, resulting in deaths on the ground. Harrier GR.3s provided air cover for a short period after hostilities, alongside a SHAR squadron on board HMS Illustrious, which made it's first commission in the South Atlantic, taking over from HMS Invincible on station. Sea Harriers of 809 NAS and Harriers of 1 Sqn, RAF went south as part of the second wave of ships, on board the Atlantic Conveyor, or, in some cases, made direct flights from Ascension island with tanker support, recovering directly onto HMS Hermes.

• Like 1

I will upload 3ds max files for what ive got to modders section in a day or two,no time myself atm

Thanks for all the work you did Russo, with the hardest parts now done the rest is mainly cosmetic now IIRC.

As it's been a few years I'll go through my old pics and try and find out what the main areas which needed tweaking were and add that info here for the next modder to have a go at.

1. The "engine skin" behind the nozzles needs adding to the models skin map (already on the skin itself) and the inside of the gun pods mapping to any black square on the skin.

2. Various Decal bleeds - I'll find out more in a bit but definitely remember 2 need doing (on the L&R intakes outer skin and the Doppler panel underneath the nose).

3. The intakes rounding off slightly and the hole in the top forward RWR filling in.

There was other "it would be nice" stuff but for a release those above were the main issues.

some pics of the area's involved -

sh118.jpg

sh120.jpg

sh117.jpg

sh119.jpg

Edited by ianh755

Im waiting for pcb board for the damaged hd,hopefully that ll fix it,as it seems its board error not drive...

I will check models here ive got now,and se if they are the last I did,I think I have the bits smoothed out(intakes etc ) on these models...will let you know when Ive taken a look...bit busy at home atm,but will squeeze in some time to check .and try and get a bit more finished.

• Like 1

Guys there will be a template for this one?? I'm not demanding it, simply asking.

Yeap, the mapping shouldn't be effected by any of the 3D work so my current template ('79 to '81, '82 Falklands, '83 to '95 and two Indian FRS.51 skins) should still be fine.

Yeap, the mapping shouldn't be effected by any of the 3D work so my current template ('79 to '81, '82 Falklands, '83 to '95 and two Indian FRS.51 skins) should still be fine.

Are you telling me that template ia available?

Yes, when the pack is released there will also be a separate photoshop template released at the same time too (as I'm now doing for all my releases).

• Like 1

2 weeks......maybe less.

post-841-0-13461300-1456134945_thumb.jpg

post-841-0-45339200-1456134966_thumb.jpg

post-841-0-17787500-1456134978_thumb.jpg

• Like 1