Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Concorde's Final Day - A Great Video

• Like 5

Amazing aircraft. Saw one once back when I was a kid.

I come to cry watching this video. This magnificient white bird... I remember passing my younger summers in Brittany and many days at Ushant and nearly each times CDG-JFK Concorde past mach 1 over us, shaking the windows, imprinting us her power, her beauty. On July 14 2000, we go to Brest field, where doomed F-BTSC cames for the National Day, waiting hours at the end of RWY 25L to see her taking-off. I will never forgot these sight and sound while the Swan steady up her nose with yellow smokes trails left behind, and these Olympus setting on all the nearest cars alarms.  Eleven days later she disappeared...

How do they have sacrificed this example of cooperation between our nations, she symbolized more than the supersonic transport, she was our agreement, she was the proof that we could go together. It is as if her fall announced our ensuing...

I saw one once at JFK airport in 1983. What I would of given to fly on it just one time. 

I grew up under the west flight path of Heathrow, you could set your watch by Concorde screaming overhead every evening, bang on time at 7pm. I remember its final day too, watching the three aircraft land one after the other, Heathrow was packed to the rafters, hordes of people cramming into every square inch on the multi-story car parks catching a glimpse of them touching down. Glorious stuff.