Sign in to follow this  
Swordsman422

Enough dreaming. Time to fly for real...

So, gents, I've decided to stop looking longingly at the sky and start actually getting up there. A former coworker of mine from my days at the hobby shop is now an FO for Fed Ex. He and I both had a passion for aviation, and he decided a few years ago (when he was the age I am now) to get started from zero time and training and work his way up. A few weeks ago he got in touch with me and pointed me in the direction of the flight school he went to, which is an FAA part 141 FBO. I plan on following in his footsteps. Maybe if I am very lucky I can eventually work for the same airline that my father-in-law runs the sheet metal shop for.

I start on Saturday.

• Like 3

Congratulations, may I ask how old are you?

Great for you! Pursue that all the way. Dreams may not pay as much as some conservative, responsible decisions, but what do we live for, after all?

I have just turned 34 in may. The school I am going to requires that anyone passing their professional pilot program work for them as a CFI for a period of 18 months after achieving certification. The reasoning is two fold. They want to get back out of you what they put in, and they want you to be able to build your hours towards working for charter, freight, or passenger service. In exchange for this, they cost about 1/3 less than most professional programs.

It might be a bit of a struggle for a couple of years, but the end result will be a lot better than what I am doing now.

Well done - that sounds really positive and I hope it works out for you.

Good luck mate. I can't really say that I'm anything close to an aviator, but I know you won't be disappointed!

Follow your Dream!

But first a tale of sad ending and a word of advice. I went to A+P school (Got Certificated), They had a Flight Program also, I passed Privet Ground and Flew 42 hours, Entered and passed Commercial Ground School, This all took 3 years and a lot of cash. Then the bomb fell.

The Commercial Flight Physical,  The sadly told me I was Color Blind and  I could not fly at night. No more dream. No Commercial License, No CFI.

So My Advice is ! Get your eyes Checked First ! The sad part is I failed the FAA Eye Test, but I can see colors just fine.

That said, Good luck.

Man that's awesome I hope to acquire PPL but flight hours cost like freakin' golden bars here...still it's a dream I sure will run for...

First lesson went well. Except for a 360 turn for sequencing, I had the aircraft from start-up to shut down. I did have a little assistance on the landing, as it was crosswind. My instructor talked me through the flight instead of showing, which is how I learn best. He even got me to work the radio a couple of times.

I did get a little motion sick. You can feel everything in a C172, and it was a hot day so there were lots of thermals. And I may have been concentrating too hard on keeping the vertical speed indicator at zero. Any of you pilots have an idea of how long it takes to get over the movement?

But man, you can't beat the view.