Sign in to follow this  
Piecemeal

Indicated Air Speed or True Air Speed?

Anybody know what unit of speed measurement is used when viewing the waypoints on the planning map?

post-29988-0-61234000-1406325604_thumb.jpg

Can't be IAS.

530KIAS at 11,400ft would translate into about 609 KTAS (@ISA), which in-turn would be Mach 0.96, which is a bit on the high-side for a Hunter in cruise.

530KTAS would equal about Mach 0.835, which is a more realistic value.

It's probably the still-air TAS (= GS), which makes more sense from a navigational standpoint.

I was thinking it might be TAS but I just wasn't sure, hence my query here. Is there an INI file I can access and edit so that the unit of speed measurement will show up next to the speed? (ie: 470 knots KTAS)

only with the HUDData.ini in debug = TRUE, but that still only gives IAS and TAS

I bought an E6-B flight computer just for this question.  Notice the "timing" that goes along with the speed?  If you figure it out for true air speed you can match those times.