Sign in to follow this  
F117NightHawk

Is Strikefighters dead?

I've been out and haven't been on the site in about half a year. What is the situation with thirdwire I've heard about?

no, it's not dead.

the downloads section should prove that

OTH, new stuff from 3W, other than the occasional DLC, is a bit lacking.

Edited by Wrench

No multiplayer, but I fly about 3 times a week, download new stuff about 2 times a week, check out the new posts in  forums almost everyday. Some say it's barely breathing, but the heart of SF, the heart of SF, is still beating!

Only time will tell. In the meantime, mod like a madman!

• Like 2

It's not dead to me!

I personally prefer it over the DCS games (yes I own two versions of the DCS sims so I know how they work).

Edited by warthog64
  • Like 2

Not dead... just long in the tooth.  

It's still has one of the most active core mod communities and the quality of the mods continues to elevate literally with every release.  That said, time marches on... folks lose interest and seek new pastures to graze in...

At the end of the day that community holds itself and Strike Fighters together pretty well when you consider how many others have dissipated like a fart in the wind.  :happy:

• Like 2

Any big mods popped up? I'm still saving up the cash to get everything, so far have SF2 and SF2E. Have any must have mods for those emerged?

As long as WE are alive it will never die.

You never fly alone

• Like 1

Not dead.....just stable.wink2.gif.pagespeed.ce.DG-_ZgrqXc.gif

• Like 3

... which is a huge advantage imo. Not having to check all my mods when a new patch arrives.

Anyway, when I took a break from SF for various reasons and came back a few weeks ago, I found a still lively community, many new stuff to download, and something to do for myself. It looks pretty much alive to me. Maybe the time of glory is past now, but there is still enough to enjoy. Perhaps a moddable game does not depend as much on the developer as it does depend on the community.

• Like 1

Perhaps a moddable game does not depend as much on the developer as it does depend on the community.

Hmmm SF is indeed interesting when referencing my own experience. Falcon4.0 is very moddable. Everything, I mean everything except the code can be modded. Compared to SF, bah locked 3D models, so for example wanna mod an F-4J into an S, not so easy. But when Falcon4 dev seemingly stopped around 2009~10 its community shrank considerably. But look at SF, for the past 2 years nothing significant has emerged from TW, just some bug fixes, if one can call em that, and some basic DLCs, but the activity here remains... constant? It's not 20 new threads a day but it's always going and the download section keeps growing. It's interesting. Reminds me of eco systems, turn a rain forest into barren land and nothing will come outta it again. But burn down a prairie, the grass will just grow back.

I still believe that official code dev and even data changes are always a big factor. But I've been led to believe SF is more immune to it. I ask myself, if there's never been an SF2NA will you still be flying this, and the answer is yes. Looking down the line, it seems the gaming industry as a whole is facing a decline in quality, so probably nothing similar will even come around for quite some time.

However I'm thinking too much. Apparently what matters most in the web world is always the now and now ain't so bad, be thankful for TK for this little gem and thankful for the modders that keep working on it and enjoy the flights is all.

Edited by Do335

On the official front SF does seem very quiet but I have not given up hope quite yet. Modding is the big thing here, and quality standards are really being pushed as far as the engine allows it!

Will some other sim take over SF2 in the future... probably, but that is still a long ways off. Everybody is waiting for more DCS stuff and EDGE and whatnot but, in the mean time one can have a lot of fun in SF2  :biggrin:

No time for fun. Ive got airliners to put out and you need to get back to work on a Super Tweet :biggrin: 
Jk of course. Stupid phone would show the smiley on the post grrrrrrr

Edited by Wrench
added the smiley

Everybody is waiting for more DCS stuff and EDGE and whatnot but, in the mean time one can have a lot of fun in SF2  :biggrin:

not me :)

Recently spoke with DCS diehard fan, made me cringe. They seem to be uberfrustrated by the pacing of new modules and terrains. Edge? Pfft, the one they use since Flanker 2.5 days* works fine I'd say. They have Israel, Korea, Columbia, Nambia, Nova Ziemya and few others, what else would they want?

errr... they do not? Ops :blum:

But man THIS community of ours knows how to roll!

*I know a bit of simplification but technology-wise rather true.

I don't expect any imporvement by thirdwire, but the community keeps it alive

• Like 2

It's not dead, it's pining for the mods! SF2 prefers kipping on its back. If TK hadn't nailed the files down, SF2 would've muscled open your hard drive and VOOM!

Tk is almost gone. Not Sf-2.

This is the first time I know that a quite popular product is left and abandon from its maker ....

Many people is making tablet/pc games but not Tk. He left Pc at all. R.I.P.

So Sf-2 is ours now.

depends what we could do with all the locked files like shaders Iceland terrain inis etc (LODs aside)

Beating a dead horse - but the shame of it is that SF2 with cooperative multiplayer added could have probably rocketed SF2 to the very short list of all time best sims. Heck, it already is in many respect thanks to the modding..but cooperative multiplayer would have really made it incredibly attractive to a ton of people that just want to get in, fly, and blow stuff up. I could envision whole squadrons flying period specific aircraft and campaigns together...

<wipes tear from eye>

TK broke my heart...

BeachAV8R

Well I am new here so I guess the occasional person will still discover the sim and flys it.  For me it is getting back into an F4 but I guess its time to scratch that itch.  I am on the learning curve and I am sure that will keep me busy for some time to come.  Coming from the IL2 world I agree that co-op flying would be great as it is a totally different experience to fly that way as opposed to solo.