Sign in to follow this  
Boresight

SF2: NA - USN Carriers with deck lights - how difficult ?

Hello again everyone,

I would really appreciate your help at this matter.

Every time I try to do a night landing with the Tomcat or any other aircraft aboard the Carrier, it's desolating.

Although I do manage to get some 80 % successful landings, and I know it's supposed to be a very hard and intimidating task at the real life, it's frustrating because one always has to:

- confirm the right trajectory on the map;

- be very precise with the flight pattern;

- read carefully the ILS needles;

- read carefully the symbols on the VDI;

- keep an eye on the flight path marker;

- always physically spot the carrier at the last seconds before touch down, (otherwise there's no instrumentation who will help you).

So, could anyone tell me, how to put just the respective deck lights along the runway on the bloody thing ?

I don't care about OLS or 'Fresnels' or whatever, just the deck lights would be an amazing help already.

(The pics below show the aircraft at less than 1 mile to the Carrier; inclement weather; somewhere at 22:40 PM.)

Thank you all !

post-80702-0-84721600-1406827321_thumb.jpg

post-80702-0-72589000-1406827332_thumb.jpg

post-80702-0-72669700-1406827344_thumb.jpg

There's a package in the SF2 downloads section that addresses this: http://combatace.com/files/file/14598-carrier-deck-illumination/

Fubar, you've done everything !

In fact, I've been searching for something like this a while back today, because I had a little recollection it existed some mod related, from many months ago.

However I didn't find anything, until you post here your Carrier Deck Illumination mod.

This is why I gladly keep my subscription plan here.

Thank you lot, will install it shortly!

Hello again Fubar,

I've tried the mod, and clearly the deck lights are there (as well as others), but is it possible to augment the light intensity with a 'cat extractor' or something ?

Thank you.

Edited by Boresight

Boresight,

My colleagues and I reviewed real life imagery from night traps, and one of the team served on a carrier. We were all quite satisfied that the level of illumination was correct. Now, this really may not mean much in the tunnel-visioned, faux dark world of a computer flight simulation (as I'm sure that our real-life aviators would agree), but watch these two videos and judge for yourself :

Due to the method with which we added the deck illumination, increasing its intensity may result in undesirable visual anomalies, and cause the deck illumination to be unnaturally bright during the day (it cannot be switched on or off). 

Edited by Fubar512
  • Like 1

Holy crapatoey!

Hello again,

Thank you Fubar, for the detailed explanations.

Yes the vídeos show that the deck lights really are of low intensity, contrary to the idea I always had.

(Thought the idea was. to be the most intense possible at night to help the pilots locating and landing, on the carrier easily.)

Well I imagine it must be something related with security procedures, don't know.

Particularly in the 1st. vídeo, even the most intense light is the one at the tower and not on the deck.

In the first vid 513 would be a KA-6....

Am I right?

I do believe that you're right.

Hello again,

Thank you Fubar, for the detailed explanations.

Yes the vídeos show that the deck lights really are of low intensity, contrary to the idea I always had.

(Thought the idea was. to be the most intense possible at night to help the pilots locating and landing, on the carrier easily.)

Well I imagine it must be something related with security procedures, don't know.

Particularly in the 1st. vídeo, even the most intense light is the one at the tower and not on the deck.

And the bright flashing green light off and above the starboard quarter of the carrier in the second video is an anti-collision light on the "angel", an MH-60 helo.