Sign in to follow this  
Geezer

FE AA Objects

FE AA Objects

Steven1918 and I have put together a comprehensive collection of WW1 anti-aircraft guns. A noteworthy feature is, for the first time, a selection of medium-level 37/40mm auto cannons that bridge the gap between low-level MGs and high-level 75mm AA cannons. The Maxim 37/40mm auto cannon, dubbed the "pom-pom" by the Brits, was used in various versions by all the major powers and was still in limited service early in WW2. Pom-poms will significantly affect a gamer's experience when flying below 5,000 feet, and could motivate a gamer to replay old campaigns - especially if he used to like balloon-busting. Now that balloons can be realistically defended, he may not like balloon-busting anymore. :biggrin:

In addition to the pom-poms, there are multiple types of AA MGs. Also included are two types of optional gun pits: a C-shaped pit intended for use with AA guns, and a U-shaped pit intended for use with artillery, plus balloon winches for the major powers.

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 6

Big thanks from me too Geezer. I'm have plenty of fun adding your amazing airfield objects they really look the part.

Thanks, but Steve deserves as much credit as I do - he's the guy who figured out how to make this stuff work ingame.  We've both been busy with real world stuff but found time to squeeze this in.  I should get back to FE later this month, and will finish the Martinsyde.

You guys have done it again! This stuff is awesome. They all look incredible in game. Adds so much realism. Thanks a lot. Keep'em comin!

You guys have done it again! This stuff is awesome. They all look incredible in game. Adds so much realism. Thanks a lot. Keep'em comin!

Thanks.  Why not post some shots to motivate others to try the gun pack?

• Like 1

Thank you very much, Geezer and Steve! :bye:

Pom-poms will significantly affect a gamer's experience when flying below 5,000 feet, and could motivate a gamer to replay old campaigns - especially if he used to like balloon-busting. Now that balloons can be realistically defended, he may not like balloon-busting anymore.

So how does these AA Objects get into an campaign?

S!
vonOben

They have to be placed on the map and will appear in campaigns and single missions using the map.  Mue's Toolbox is the best way to place them IMO.  Whenever I have spare time (none of that lately) I put in some additional AA and craters.

I should clarify that if you want those specific objects to appear you have to add them to the map, but they are designated as "mobile_AAA" so they will appear in game randomly at the map locations with "mobile_AAA" objects placed just like the stock AAA objects.

doesn't FE/FE2 use more of the "Static_AAA" types entry, as opposed to "Mobile_AAA"??

as to the targets list for a terrain, any object slot listed as "AAA" in they data ini (of any type) can have any number of guns show up. They'll show up as long as their in service years and nations match the time frame and countries on any given terrain.

While FE/FE2 isn't as sophisticated in air defense units, as say SF/SF2, using the generic tag of "AAA" will give a nice totally random generation of AD units

Interesting point, Wrench.  The 3W data files for stock AAA indicate "mobile_AAA" so the Stephen1918 apparently followed that pattern when he did the ini files for Geezer's objects.  However, the stock  terrain types.ini file only includes an "AAA" type.  Although it doesn't make sense, obviously the program reads them as the same and places them.  So either way it is not essential to add the new objects to the map to see them.  However, the readme file for the added AAA objects has the user add them to the type file of the terrain, which makes it simple to put them where you want them without the randomization.

Hi guys

Thanks for the information!

So I only have to add the new TargetTypes to the [terran]_types.ini (for example Flanders_TYPES.INI) and they will show up randomly?

Is that correctly understood?

Cheers

vonOben

you can add each individual unit if you want, but if their Data ini states "AAA" of any kind, they'll still randomly generate.

the only reason you'd want to list them in the types ini, is if you want to rebuild any target areas, and have specific guns show up

Thanks Geezer, I've just D/l'd this now, as if I don't already have enough trouble surviving. Anyway, I hope it's easy to install as I only have 3 braincells.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 11:40 AM, seany65 said:

Thanks Geezer, I've just D/l'd this now, as if I don't already have enough trouble surviving. Anyway, I hope it's easy to install as I only have 3 braincells.

Historically, the Western Front was populated with thousands of AA guns.  They make life "interesting." :biggrin:

Oh, yes. I'm aware of that, Geezer.  I just hope that, IF I can manage to install them their aim ain't too good.

I get the impression from trying to install other bits and pieces, such as Armchair Aces Redux 5.1", that I'm doing something wrong as any option to choose  a faction doesn't appear and the game quites to desktop when I try launch it for a single mission. I can play the game after re-installing and not adding anything though. 

I thought that by unzipping any mod and then opening the main folder and then saving the inner folders to the main folders of the same name that contained the smaller folders, the game would be able to see them and use them as if they'd always been there, eg "Ground objects" in the mod would go in the "Ground objects" of the game installation and "Ta Daa!".

That idea seems to be wrong. Or something.

3 hours ago, seany65 said:

Oh, yes. I'm aware of that, Geezer.  I just hope that, IF I can manage to install them their aim ain't too good.

I get the impression from trying to install other bits and pieces, such as Armchair Aces Redux 5.1", that I'm doing something wrong as any option to choose  a faction doesn't appear and the game quites to desktop when I try launch it for a single mission. I can play the game after re-installing and not adding anything though. 

I thought that by unzipping any mod and then opening the main folder and then saving the inner folders to the main folders of the same name that contained the smaller folders, the game would be able to see them and use them as if they'd always been there, eg "Ground objects" in the mod would go in the "Ground objects" of the game installation and "Ta Daa!".

That idea seems to be wrong. Or something.

The general rule of thumb is to install contents from folders into other identical folders, overriding files in those folders. If a folder doesn't exist that corresponds with a folder to be installed, a similar procedure should be applied - create a folder with an identical name, and then drop the relevant files inside.

Copying over entire folders can be risky since not all folders contain all necessary files.

Another tip, if you are running different theaters in FE2 (Middle East, Eastern Front, etc.) is to make several copies of your ThirdWire folder (the one in your "games" folder in Windows, not the actual game contents folder) - and then to mod each of those theater folders....then you can simply swap in/out the theaters you want to fly by naming the folder you want to fly as "ThirdWire" (without quotation marks) and making sure that it's in your games directory of your user account in Windows.

Von S :smile:

• Like 2

Thanks foir the reply, VonS.

I was trying to do what you said, but I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks to seany for reviving this thread, as I completely missed it first time 'round. And of course thanks to Geezer and Stephen, but that has become a regular and very pleasant habit:biggrin:!

I expect this game to become even more perilous now.

• Like 2

Gentlemen, I have tried to install this mod, but I am stumped. Can anyone tell me where I might find this 'TypesIni'?

you only need to enter the objects in the _types ini, if you're hand placing them on the terrain. As long as their GrondObjectRole= is stated as "AAA" they'll automatically generate in locations defined in the _targets ini as "AAA"

• Like 2