Sign in to follow this  
bigstone

YAP Rising Sun mod to work in SF2?

Hi everyone,

Did anyone of you manage to get Yankee Air Pirates "Rising Sun" WW2 mod to work in SF2?  If so how did you get it work work?  Thanks

You would need to create the same mod folder structure and move the files over.

Because that is WOV 2008?? - you would have to account for the many changes in SF2 - so if you wanted it to work properly in SF2 you might have to replace a lot of the old ini files and add missing statements.

I think one reason they had to stay with 2008 was because of the things removed in SF2 that some missions depend on - so you might have to alter missions to account for this.

If you know how to do the editing, you can use the Rising Sun ships in SF2. A lot of folks to include myself do.

I could be completely wrong, but I think the short answer is, you can't.

It's designed for SF.

If it could be done, someone would have.  :biggrin:

It's doable, but it takes some time.

Folks, the YAP´s Rising Sun is fantastic FOR SFP1... For SFP2 a lot of editing needs to make the terrains to work well - but is possible. As for the ships, I don´t know how to do. The planes are simply fantastic (the P-38s are better than IL-2´s ones). The RS are mainly based on pre-made single missions, wich is useless due SFP2 structure. I just recieved a message from YAP about the pending  RS-phase 4. Read it:

"Rising Sun cost a fortune and did not make it back. We are committed to finish it because we are dumb and determined. So if we make enough money on our next venture, we will complete it. Our terrain man just reappeared and that was an impediment. As far as airplanes, it is very model heavy. LOTS of aircraft. We have almost all the ships now. But LOTS of airplanes. If you think a Ventura is cool, we might throw one in. I cannot tell yo which ones because I cannot find the list but LOTS.
Thanks for being ONE of the few who recognized that IL-2, with a better game engine and great skills and a big budget, still cannot tell the story of the war in the Pacific like I cannot tell about Stalingrad.
Terrains I can tell you off the top of my head:
China
Japan
Philippines
Iwo Jima
Okinawa
We have versions but they do not reflect the actual character of the foliage or ground color."

I know about some issues between some members of this Community and John Shelton, it´s not my business. If put this aside, it´s highly recomended. Cheers!

Thanks for the replies guys.  Yeah I did the mod folder structure.  The planes, carriers, and terrains load just fine.  Now the effects on the other hand do not work....  No tracers, gun smoke, and explosion effects at all??  Thus the reason why the mod was made for WOV patched 2008.  Oh well it was worth the try:)

a simple text edit to add the SF2 FX shader statements.

don't remember them off the top of my head, but extract any of the SF2 effects inis, and you'll see them.

--------

edit:

these 2 for certain:

EffectShaderName=effectLightLevel.fx

EffectShaderName=effectFire.fx

--------

converting the ships is also easy. You need the ***_col.lod (created by making a copy of the ships main lod, and renaming), and adding the SF2NA statements to the data ini.

Again, any of the SF2 WW2 ships can be used as a guide