Hey all - about to upgrade from XP to win 8 - I heard that SF2 works under 8 - any special notes to get it up and running? Thanx..

um  yes most defineatly since Gen 2 series is made for Vista and above.  IMHO  get Win7 if at all possible but that is more not personally liking to deal with 8.  i know some will chime in agreeing on that and some will strongly disagree.  back to main point..... yes it will work better.

I personally downgraded from win  8  to 7....I hate 8..it may be good for  pads but not PC's

• Like 1

My new PC is natively managed with Windows 8.1.

No problem with this one and SF2 works fine.

However, I have another PC with W7/32. With this one,

SF2 works very well but it is limited by its RAM

just over detected 3.125 Go (4 Go installed).

I suppose W7/64 could be an interesting option...

Edited by Coupi

Win 7 64 on an AMD FX 8350 at 4.0 GHz with16 Mb mem. Not one problum that I did't cause ! Have a secound drive with XP 64 on same computer and it runs all my SF1 stuff almost as well !! I would not touch 8 with your hands much less mine!! GOOD LUCK with what ever you decide to use !!

I use 8.1 x64, no problems at all. No perceptible difference between using 7 and 8.

A recent assignment that I had involved upgrading workstations from Win XP & Windows 7 to Win 8.1-64.  After spending three months on the project, I can vouch for the fact that Windows 8/8.1 can be made to run every bit as smooth on a desktop or a laptop as Windows 7, and it has the advantage of a slightly faster OS loading time.

Its main disadvantage is that it does (in typical MS fashion) have some application incompatibilities that weren't present in its predecessor. Also, some devices that were supported under Windows 7 are either no longer supported at all, or not fully supported under Windows 8.   A prime example of the latter would be print drivers that suddenly lack features that had hereto been available on a Windows 7 install.

Where I am they have just rolled out Win 7 32 after about a 6 year upgrade project - the amount of corporate apps that needed reprogramming etc - big money!

I was hoping to skip 8 and go onto 9 - if its not a cloud based SAS nightmare.

8 just seems like a beta to me - Apple dont feel the need to turn OSX into a mobile OS - they realize that a desktop PC is used differently.

Win 8 just says to me that Microsoft are panicking and have had no direction - just embarrassing to watch really.

that being said I need a tablet for reading while I'm on the PC - so might end up with 8 yet.

For reading you say....... go Android and dl Kindle and a mobi and epub reader. Love my Galaxy Note even if its 2 yr old now, and still subs s for a most of the time when posting. The Snote app is great too for those of us who still like handwriting. Can lose that peice of paper easy, wont lose a couple hundred dollar electronic device (one hopes).

also Mr. Gates announced that 7 support will shortly end

also Mr. Gates announced that 7 support will shortly end

That's just the end of support for new features.

Security Patches etc will go onto at least 2020