Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

F-100 Super Sabre - A Pilots Perspective

f-100d_63304.jpg

Former fighter pilot Scotty Wilson gives you the low-down on flying the magnificent ‘Hun’.

1. What were you were first impressions of the F-100?

I transitioned to the Hun right out of UPT after flying the T-38. The T-38 was small, sleek, white and sexy. The Hun was, by comparison, huge, camouflaged, grimy and a workhorse. Best of all -it only had one engine and one seat. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen!

2.  When did you fly it? With which units?

I flew the Hun (C/D/F) from 1973 to 1979 for about 1500 hours, mostly with the 178 TFG (Ohio) and 131 TFW (Missouri) Air Guard units.

3. What was the best thing about it?

It was an “honest” airplane with excellent control harmony and good visibility. It was simple and reliable.

4. What was the worst thing about flying it?

Pilots like to say the Hun invented adverse yaw, and one did have to be careful with lateral stick input at high AOA. Final approach speeds were relatively high (166 KIAS + fuel in the D; higher in the C). It was underpowered – like a lot of the early Century-Series airplanes – and we had two power settings: “not enough” (military power); and “just okay” (afterburner). It was hard to fly really well.

5. Was it an effective weapon system?

I never flew the Hun in combat, so I’m not the best one to ask. I have several friends who flew as “Misty FACs” (Forward Air Controller, a very dangerous mission) in South East Asia; I never heard them say a bad thing about the plane. In training missions, it was a stable bomb and gun platform.

6. Did you ever fly mock dogfights against any other types, what was this like and which types were the most challenging?

We were commonly called-upon to do duty as MiG-15/17/19 simulators and as training partners in DACT with more advanced fighters such as the F-4, F-14 and F-15. We often flew “canned” scenarios or profiles specific to another unit’s training requirements.

“Huge, camouflaged and grimy…the most beautiful thing I had ever seen!”

Occasionally, we’d get an opportunity to do anything we wanted. A “clean” Hun – even the heavier D model – could climb to above 45,000 and get up to Mach 1.3 in a shallow dive. No one looked for us up that high, and we could usually engage from above unseen – the first time. We could generally win a 1-vs-1 guns-only or rear-aspect missile fight against a hard-winged F-4 and break even against a slatted E, unless the Phantom pilot was very good (Ron Keys comes to mind) and didn’t fight our fight. Same with the F-14. Best tactic was to go single-circle, co-plane. We’d give up knots for angles and out-rate the other guy, who would honor your nose position and become defensive immediately. (I have 2000 hours in F-4C/D/E and know those airplanes pretty well.)

The F-15 was a superior airplane in every respect and it was rare you got the advantage on one unless the pilot was a doofus (and there were a few).

7. What three words best describe the F-100?

Honest, reliable, predictable.

8. What was your most memorable flight in a F-100?

14 hours in the cockpit / 12 hours flight time during a winter-time redeployment from Ramstein AB Germany to Richards-Gebaur AFB, Missouri. We strapped in and started-up, then shut-down and waited in the cockpit while our tankers at RAF Mildenhall fixed a problem. After we got airborne and mid-way across the Atlantic both tankers lost their drogues (equipment, not pilot error). We found another tanker – this one scrambled out of Canada – using UHF-ADF and Air-to-Air TACAN while IMC in 1 NM visibility conditions. When we finally joined with two more tankers we flew…and flew…and continued flying westward because the weather at every AFB east of the Mississippi was below landing minimums. (The F-100D didn’t have ILS at the time.)

I don’t think we ever saw groundspeeds in excess of 360 knots the entire route. Only if you have worn the old-style poopy suit* can you appreciate how enjoyable the last four hours of that flight was like.

http://hushkit.wordpress.com/2013/04/17/f-100-super-sabre-a-fighter-pilots-perspective/

hun.jpg

• Like 5

Another great interview for the Century's senior just as incredible.

Great interview, great photo of the Century birds. As a fan of the F-15 in the everlasting Tomcat vs Eagle debate, I love his assessment that ranked the F-14 roughly equal to the F-4 in a dogfight, whereas the F-15 was only limited by its pilot :)

Edited by streakeagle

I love his assessment that ranked the F-14 roughly equal to the F-4 in a dogfight, whereas the F-15 was only limited by its pilot :)

I think you'll find plenty of people thinking otherwise. 

I love the F-100. Lots of limitations and "be careful"-areas that give the plane character. 

The F-100 is actually what the German Luftwaffe wanted when it was planned to be rebuilt in 1954. However the US declined the export of the F-100 as it was considered too modern, so the Luftwaffe had to do with F-86 and F-84. But only a year later, just after the Luftwaffe was officially reborn in 1955, the US offered to export the F-100 because it was getting old. Ironically that was exactly the reason why the Luftwaffe had no interest in it anymore.

The F-100 literally went from the hottest plane on earth to junk within less than two years, illustrating how quickly aircraft could age in this time.

A great "Man & Machine" article.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Spinners

View File [Fictional] F-100D 'Shavit' (Comet) for SF2
      North American F-100D 'Shavit' for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2
      This is a simple mod of the stock Third Wire F-100D to give a fictional F-100D 'Shavit' (Comet) of the Israeli Air Force with markings for;
      117 squadron - 'The First Jet Squadron' in a natural metal scheme.
      253 squadron - 'The Negev Squadron' in a USAF SEA scheme (as transferred from USAF stocks in October 1973).
      This should work in any SF2 game featuring the stock Third Wire F-100D but has only been tested in a merged install of SF2/SF2V/SF2E/SF2I.

BACKSTORY
      Despite a very smooth test and development phase North American Aviation's superb F-107 unexpectedly lost out to Republic Aviation's F-105 Thunderchief in the competition for a new supersonic fighter-bomber for TAC. By early 1959 the end of the F-100D production line was now in sight and with the F-108 and B-70 programmes now on the far horizon North American Aviation needed to stretch the F-100 Super Sabre programme out to plug the gap and urgently proposed a variety of F-100 variants to several friendly nations, including Israel, Japan and the United Kingdom.
      In April 1959 the Israeli government signed for 50 F-100D's and the first of these entered Heyl Ha'Avir service in February 1960 replacing the obsolete Gloster Meteors of 117 Squadron. The 'Shavit' was a popular machine in Heyl Ha'Avir service and served with distinction during the 1967 'Six-Day' war but losses were heavy during the early days of the 1973 'Yom Kippur' war and two small batches of ex-USAF F-100D's were accquired as attrition replacements allowing No.253 squadron to re-equip with the F-100D before finally retiring the type in November 1977.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-100Didf folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-100Didf folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      As always, thanks to Third Wire for a great little game/sim.
      Special thanks to guyran for suggesting the 'Shavit' name.
      And, finally, thanks to everyone in the wider Third Wire community.
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 3 - January 19th, 2024.

Submitter Spinners Submitted 10/18/2009 Category What If Hangar  
    • By Spinners
      North American F-100D 'Shavit' for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2
      This is a simple mod of the stock Third Wire F-100D to give a fictional F-100D 'Shavit' (Comet) of the Israeli Air Force with markings for;
      117 squadron - 'The First Jet Squadron' in a natural metal scheme.
      253 squadron - 'The Negev Squadron' in a USAF SEA scheme (as transferred from USAF stocks in October 1973).
      This should work in any SF2 game featuring the stock Third Wire F-100D but has only been tested in a merged install of SF2/SF2V/SF2E/SF2I.

BACKSTORY
      Despite a very smooth test and development phase North American Aviation's superb F-107 unexpectedly lost out to Republic Aviation's F-105 Thunderchief in the competition for a new supersonic fighter-bomber for TAC. By early 1959 the end of the F-100D production line was now in sight and with the F-108 and B-70 programmes now on the far horizon North American Aviation needed to stretch the F-100 Super Sabre programme out to plug the gap and urgently proposed a variety of F-100 variants to several friendly nations, including Israel, Japan and the United Kingdom.
      In April 1959 the Israeli government signed for 50 F-100D's and the first of these entered Heyl Ha'Avir service in February 1960 replacing the obsolete Gloster Meteors of 117 Squadron. The 'Shavit' was a popular machine in Heyl Ha'Avir service and served with distinction during the 1967 'Six-Day' war but losses were heavy during the early days of the 1973 'Yom Kippur' war and two small batches of ex-USAF F-100D's were accquired as attrition replacements allowing No.253 squadron to re-equip with the F-100D before finally retiring the type in November 1977.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-100Didf folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-100Didf folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      Special thanks to guyran for suggesting the 'Shavit' name.
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 3 - January 19th, 2024.

• By Spinners

View File [Fictional] North American F-100D Super Sabre
      North American F-100D Super Sabre (West Germany) for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2 
      This is a simple mod of the stock F-100D to create a fictional F-100D in service with the German Air Force in the 1958-1967 timeline with colourful 'Black Tulip' markings for JG 71.
      I'm releasing this 'as is' as a request from a couple of my friends here at Combat Ace. Only 8 aircraft numbers are supplied and the complex nose marking is the best I can do with limited time.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-100Dwg folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-100Dwg folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it! In your aircraft selection drop down menu you will find this under F-100D Super Sabre (West Germany) this is just to separate it from the standard F-100D as I've removed the refuelling probe from this version.

CREDITS
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 1 - Dec 18th, 2022

Submitter Spinners Submitted 12/18/2022 Category What If Hangar  
    • By Spinners
      North American F-100D Super Sabre (West Germany) for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2 
      This is a simple mod of the stock F-100D to create a fictional F-100D in service with the German Air Force in the 1958-1967 timeline with colourful 'Black Tulip' markings for JG 71.
      I'm releasing this 'as is' as a request from a couple of my friends here at Combat Ace. Only 8 aircraft numbers are supplied and the complex nose marking is the best I can do with limited time.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-100Dwg folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-100Dwg folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it! In your aircraft selection drop down menu you will find this under F-100D Super Sabre (West Germany) this is just to separate it from the standard F-100D as I've removed the refuelling probe from this version.

CREDITS
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 1 - Dec 18th, 2022

• By Spinners

View File [Fictional] F-100D Aeronautica Militare Italiana
      North American F-100D 'AMI' for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2
      This is a very simple mod of the stock Third Wire F-100D to place this classic cold war warrior into fictional service with the Aeronautica Militare Italiana with markings for;
      22º Gruppo, 51º Stormo in NMF. 
      154º Gruppo, 6º Stormo in NMF. 
      18º Gruppo, 3º Stormo in grey/green camo (with sharkmouth).

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-100D_AMI folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-100D_AMI folder into your main Decals folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      Thanks to Third Wire for a great little game/sim.
      Thanks to hgbn (Henrik) for uploading his superb F-100D templates to the community.
      And thanks to everyone in the wider Third Wire community.
      Regards
      Spinners
      Version 2 - 24/02/19
      Version 1 - 26/02/12  

Submitter Spinners Submitted 02/26/2012 Category What If Hangar  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..