Sign in to follow this  
bigstone

Proper Carrier Air Wing Tail Codes for SF2V Aircraft?

Hi,

The Topic Title says it all.  I was wondering if anyone has attempted to get the correct Carrier Air Wing Tail Codes for the SF2V stock aircraft?  If you did please tell me how you did it.  Thanks

Granted, I don't have SF2V yet, but I do have the old WOV, and as far as I can tell, they have them right. There are a couple, such as VF-53, with the F-8, where the marking are blank. But as a general rule, given the year/model of aircraft, deployments, etc, they have them right. And being that I am one of those weird freaks that can tell you which squadron was with which airwing on which ship for the most part, I should know :)  Out of curiosity though, what particular Air Wings, and aircraft were you interested in knowing about? 

OK some tail codes are correct and others are not.  Take a look at this website www.gonavy.jp and look at carrier airwing aircraft carrier deployments.  It shows the carriers time in vietnam and the wings tailcode....  I know its alot of work to get the correct tailcode and also the correct wingcode as well....

Bigstone:

The problem with tail codes in SF2V is that the game can assign only one tail code per squadron. Tail codes are a set of decals that are indexed against the numbered list of squadrons listed in SquadronList.INI. The primary reason you see incorrect tail codes in SF2V is that over the course of the Vietnam War carrier air wings (and their respective squadrons) hopped from one carrier to another, changing tail codes in the process. To get 100 percent accurate tail codes in SF2V you would need to:

a) Expand the SquadronList.INI to include entries for a good number of Navy squadrons that match each deployment or cruise. Some squadrons might have as many as three or four SquadronList entries, depending on the number of carriers they were aboard during the course of the war.

b) Create custom tail code decals to match the new SquadronList entries.

c) Update all the campaigns to use the squadron entries in SquadronList.ini.

Even then you'd see correct tail codes only in campaigns. Single missions would not respect the matching of tail code decals and carrier air wings at all.

I suppose if you're really into tail codes this might be an interesting project, but it would be a significant one.

Eric Howes

Way that i handled a similar issue with the F-4N encompassed several of the above techniques. I made a universal skin (bitmaps and jpegs in the main aircraft foldr rather than skin folder), then made skins for the units and years. But those folders mostly are just texture and decal ini. Also as above i have a very expanded squadronlist.ini to incorporate all units. If you have the DLC F-4N take a look at the skinset for it. Otherwise take a look at the updated Storm F-4N in the d/l section. Either will show what i'm talking about for the aircraft end. Would be awesome if you're thinking bout workin more units into game, esp the Nam era birds. My interest tends more to post Nam although the "correct for one deployment" markings bug me there too.

Eric, the multiple skin bit fixes the many entries for one unit. But there are several units missing in the stock squadronlist as well (tho not as many missing in mine)

Edited by daddyairplanes

daddyairplanes:

For the record, I've no plans to add squadron variants to the SquadronList.ini just to handle changing tail codes. Nor do I plan to add unit specific skins for Navy birds, as that would blow up the size of the Expansion Pack far beyond what it already is. The Expansion Pack is already a monster to maintain, and I just don't need the additional headache that would result.

To me it seems like a hell of a lot work just to get tail codes that most players aren't even going to notice or appreciate. Others may have a different view, understandably.

Eric Howes

I have noticed that as well you expect NL and get NK or the other way around always been fond of CAW-15 and the Coral Maru. on a side note I'd like to be able to choose what squadron are on the deck(s) besides the player squadron love to see VF-111 sharing the deck with VF-51 or VA-22 but always get some random plugin....

Edited by colmack

Thanks for the clarification eburger68.   I love challenges and I am up for it just need this part: b) Create custom tail code decals to match the new SquadronList entries. :biggrin:  Another thing is the matching of the wing code as well....

Edited by bigstone

bigstone, here is a reference that may help you with the vietnam airwings.  it has helped me match up everything for BEELINE Phantoms (N and S). but it goes for the whole fleet from the current systems intro in 1961 until around 1994.

eburger, i didn't mean any offense.  we just have a difference of opinions on how to skin that particular cat.  and while skins size is actually pretty low,  the decal folders pad the size back up quite abit. and i've seen the fun of maintaining just with my little mods, i can only imagine the fun you have with the big installs

1. Nods to eburger on explaining the deckhopping and wing hopping that gave a variety of codes. Sometimes you even had the same squadron with different codes depending on whether it was a detachment or not. VF-111 flying the Crusader was a great example of this. While on Oriskany with Air Wing 16, they wore the "AH" tail code. Air Wing 10 aboard the Intrepid was unique in that it was an all-attack Air Wing, made up of 4 or 5 squadrons of A-4's. However, a detachment from VF-111 was assigned to them (of 4 aircraft I believe) and during that time the Crusaders wore the "AK" tail code of CVW-10. It was little nuisances like that that prompted me to ask which squadrons, ships, and air wings were you interested in? Could be it has the correct tailcode for the time and place, it was just an exceptional circumstance.

daddyairplanes:

No offense taken. I  just didn't want to leave anyone with false expectations as to what might be included in future updates to the Expansion Pack.

Eric Howes

Edited by eburger68

I have noticed that as well you expect NL and get NK or the other way around always been fond of CAW-15 and the Coral Maru. on a side note I'd like to be able to choose what squadron are on the deck(s) besides the player squadron love to see VF-111 sharing the deck with VF-51 or VA-22 but always get some random plugin....

VF-51 and VF-111 weren't paired together until they transitioned to Phantoms in 1971. Previously VF-51 was with Air Wing 5 (tail code NF, VA-22 was also assigned, flying the A-4F) paired with VF-53 Iron Angels. VF-111 was assigned to Air Wing 16 (Tail code AH) and paired with VF-162 Hunters. As mentioned earlier though, they would often send detachments to the USS Intrepid which would temporarily wear AK tail codes of Intrepid.

i was just using that as an example I like that Time period when i do missions with Coral Sea but I have seen other nations birds on the deck even other nations Rodels on USN only birds that's one I don't understand :) 

malfunction of the Exported=TRUE statement and that particular aircraft's UserList.ini

happens FAR too often