Sign in to follow this  
Javito1986

Flying for Deutschland?

Hello! I've been grounded from WOFF these past few months owing to technical issues, but I anticipate receiving some equipment this afternoon that will put an end to that and allow me to fly once more. Providing my joysticks and TrackIR still work correctly, I'd like to get back into the air this week.

Thing is, I've only EVER flown for either the British or Americans. Since I first played OFF in 2009!

This year I've been teaching myself to speak German as a third language (Native English speaker, fluent Spanish). So I'd like to fly for Olham's team for a change. Thinking about starting a career in summer 1918 flying DR VIIs. Now, I know that's going to be chaos, but I don't mind diving right into the deep end.

Anyhoo, I have a whole slew of knowledge about flying Allies. What color our flak is, how to best pop balloons, which German squadrons are easy pickings and which I need to run the hell away from, etc. But about all I know about flying for Germany is that I'll be spending 90% of my time on my side of the line, which sounds FANTASTIC to be honest because I hate offensive patrols with a passion.

So... tips and tricks I should know of from forum vets?

Javito, you'll be more than welcome on the German side - we can always use good men!

But 1918 is big chaos - that was the year when the density of aircraft (friend & foe) was highest,

and it came to collisons so often, that they gave the German pilots parachutes.

You would also fight with the now clear feeling that it is all lost.

I would suggest to start a German carreer either in September 1916, when the first Albatros arrive

(at Jasta 2); or in early 1917, when they receive the Albatros D.III.

The latter has sensitive lower wings; you would need to learn to fly them without high G, and you

shouldn't dive fast (throttle back; sideslip).

But the safety you get from flying on your own side mostly is very encouraging - when your craft is

damaged or you are wounded, you just land at the nearest field, or even a road.

Units I like a lot are Jastas 2, 5, 6, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16b, 19, 21s, 23b, 30, 32 and 37.

The reasons why these units, are either that they use the Albatros long enough, or the area where

they operate. You can chose all this, when you carefully check all units in the "Enlistment", where

you can advance time by year, month or even day, to see what the unit has when; where they fly;

which morale they have and which aces.

You do all that in the "Manual enlistment" (bottom right corner) in the "Enlist" screen.

Edited by Olham

Nothing really wrong with my girl persay, just that the 770 card was having difficulties and had to be replaced. Everything is in tip top shape at the time of this writing however!