Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Who reads Japanese?

and would be willing to do a little translating for me??

I've got a period aviator's map, that I'm (sorta) using on a current terrain project, but it's all in Japanese. I can make educated guesses at some locations, but need more real detail

Of particular interest to me, are airfield and city locaitons

anyone that can, please PM me.

thanks in advance!!

Ok, I'll play your silly game but I would guess people who live in this country....

• Like 2

you could read the japanese.  just not well enough to know what your reading.

besides, years of Godzilla movies and Hasegawa or Fujimi models have taught you nothing?

besides, years of Godzilla movies and Hasegawa or Fujimi models have taught you nothing?

I was thinking the same thing my friend. My image of Wrench is forever shattered. 

never did too many Hasagawa, although I did do quite a few the Tamiya armor series (1/35)

so, according to Dave's map, Okinawa is in a boxed section of the ocean, where North Korea used to be?

but THIS is what I'm talking about, goofballs!!

this is just a small piece of the map. and, yes, obviously compass heading and distance arrows are readily figured out (after all, they're in anglic script).  The map is from 1943

last unhelpful post for the night.  not sure but it might say this in japanese

or why not get a current one of similar scale and match up? (lame attempt at usefulness)

• Like 1

lmaosmiley.gif.pagespeed.ce.SujmTMoybq.g

unit the "cylinder" started singing about maps, I thought it might be Happy Harry Hardon!!!

Good suggestion DA, but I've done that. Not all the Japanese airfields were reused by the ROCAF. Most are underneath the modern cities now.

And this would also give me the proper Japanese names, not in Chinese.

and this is just for the airfields. There were between 50-65 dromes of varying utility on the island.  I ain't even started locating all the cities for the alchohol & butanol plants!! (nearly 100)

Edited by Wrench

You might see if WhiteBoySamurai can give it a look see I think he lives in Japan..

Nagoya, iirc (as "WBS Shipyards" was added to the WW2 Okinawa map there as a tribute)

I'm hoping he sees this. Of course, I could just PM him...

I can read it. Sort of.

Aside from the parts that I just can't make out because the letters are overlapping (great job, 1940's mapmaker guy!), the inherent problem is that the Japanese used their own arbitrary pronunciations for Chinese characters. It's kind of like how Americans pronounce "lieutenant" as it actually looks, and Brits say "LEFTenant," but far, far worse. And since I'm not an expert on that time period (nor on Taiwan specifically), I can only make wild educated guesses as to what the Imperial Japanese actually called those locations.

Example 1: The big city in the upper left corner is Kaohsiung (高雄). The same characters in Japanese would be read "Takao." (Exact same name as the Takao class heavy cruiser.)

Example 2: Directly right of center on the east coast is a small town called Dawu (大武). The Japanese pronunciation would be "Daibu."

Example 3: The very southern-most part of the island is Kenting (墾丁), currently a national park. Japanese pronunciation would be "Kontei."

Note that on this map, the characters are read from right to left. On modern maps they'd be left to right. 

The modern day area this map is depicting is right here:

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/@22.3250843,120.7711441,10z

Hopefully you can match things up from that.

and would be willing to do a little translating for me??

I've got a period aviator's map, that I'm (sorta) using on a current terrain project, but it's all in Japanese. I can make educated guesses at some locations, but need more real detail

Of particular interest to me, are airfield and city locaitons

anyone that can, please PM me.

thanks in advance!!

そして私のために少しの翻訳を行うことをいとわない?

私は私はあること(みかん)現在の地形のプロジェクトで使用して、期間飛行士のマップを持っているが、それは日本語ですべてです。私はいくつかの場所で教育を受けた推測をするが、より多くの本当の詳細を必要とすることができます

私にとって特に興味深いのは、飛行場、市​​locaitonsです

、午後に私を喜ばせることができます誰でも。

事前のおかげで!

Soshite watashi no tame ni sukoshi no hon'yaku o okonau koto o itowanai? Watashi wa watashi wa aru koto (mikan) genzai no chikei no purojekuto de shiyō shite, kikan hikō-shi no mappu o motte iruga, soreha nihongode subetedesu. Watashi wa ikutsu ka no basho de kyōiku o uketa suisoku o suruga, yori ōku no hontō no shōsai o hitsuyō to suru koto ga dekimasu watashi ni totte tokuni kyōmibukai no wa, hikōjō, ichi ​​ locaitonsdesu   , gogo ni watashi o yorokoba seru koto ga dekimasu daredemo.   Jizen no okage de!

:assassin:

http://24timezones.com/onlinemap/japan_okinawa.php

post-1981-0-00504900-1410099886_thumb.jpg

Edited by russouk2004

sorry I didn't respond sooner; having more issues (STILL!!!) with my eye, even after a 2nd PKT procedure.

I use GE a lot, plus a LARGE collection of period maps (of the cities themselves) and 2 different sets of US Govt charts (usually they date from 1950 and later)

WBS, I'd be very happy to send you the map, even it you can't translate all of it. Mostly interested in what some of the airfield symbology (map markings) are, and the names of the fields and associated cities. Any and all assistance is deeply appreciated! :)

From there, I can figure out the modern (if still used) equlivants. As the map is WW2... the modern stuff just helps me place them.

and yes, the cruiser class was named for that city.

Edited by Wrench

Go ahead and send me the map, Wrench. I don't know much about the map symbology of that era, but if I can't figure it out, I can at least pass it along to someone who might know more. 

many thanks, brother!!

PM Inbound!!