Sign in to follow this  
Stephen1918

Caudron G.4

Whiteknight asked for the Caudron G.4 quite some time ago. I've been working on it off and on for a few months. The model is done, except for the gunner, whose legs still need some work. I made a new pilot because the stock pilot wouldn't fit into that narrow cockpit. I'm working on the skins and the cockpit model now. 

post-67404-0-20919200-1410066391.jpg

post-67404-0-84308900-1410066408.jpg

post-67404-0-03985900-1410066423.jpg

post-67404-0-43521500-1410066436.jpg

post-67404-0-87798200-1410066447.jpg

post-67404-0-04208700-1410066464.jpg

post-67404-0-52745800-1410066477.jpg

post-67404-0-20282100-1410066490.jpg

Edited by Stephen1918
  • Like 5

Wov! Whata nice surprise!

• Like 1

Lovely!  A fascinating aircraft with loads of character.  You did a nice job with the unusual shape of the airfoil.

Rene Fonck began his flying career in a G.4 and, after shooting down a German plane with the overwing Lewis gun, was transferred to fighters.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 1

OMG the G.3 and G.4 were some of my all time favorites. I had completely forgot I asked for this. This is such a great surprise to me. Thank you so much!

• Like 1

The Real World is keeping me pretty busy, so it will be 2 weeks or more before this is finished. I've been trying hard to find a balance between high level of detail and manageable file size. The twin engines and fluted wing edges really used up memory, so I've been doing a lot of tweaking.

The G.4 was used by a lot of nations, I hope to at least have decal sets for France, Belgium, Italy, and Russia. 

• Like 1

Lovely job! 1916 in FE is about to get more interesting. RNAS markings would be appropriate, too.

The cockpit is built and I'm working on the skins. Notice that there are two throttles, and fuel gauges on the engine nacelles. I still have a lot of work to do on the data file, and I need to make the LODs.

post-67404-0-87304300-1410538014.jpg

• Like 4

I uploaded the Caudron G.4 today. It includes four skins and three bomb loadouts. My thanks to Ojcar for once again making a great FM for the plane - this makes 36 planes we've made for First Eagles. My thanks also to Whiteknight and Jeanba for help with the research.

post-67404-0-10611800-1411775039.jpg

post-67404-0-17578400-1411775055.jpg

post-67404-0-81960300-1411775070.jpg

post-67404-0-89790500-1411775081.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Stephen, awesome plane, and great model.

36 planes! No kidding, you and Oscar deserve medals!

Personally of all of them, the ones I most appreciate are the early war 2-seaters - russian, austro-hungarian, british, french and german of which there must be now 12 or more. A fascinating collection for a ww1 flying enthusiast.

• Like 1

Extremeone alerted me to some minor problems with the Caudron, I have uploaded a new version with corrections. They are both very minor - 

In the ini file, I only had two LOD levels, so the plane disappears when you get about 200 meters away. All the LOD files were there, I just didn't have them in the ini file. LOD003 should be at 1000, and LOD004 should be at 7000.

In FE2, the pilot and his skin have to be put into the Objects/Pilots folder, not in the Aircraft folder as I instructed. The installation for FE1 is correct.

Version 2 fixes these problems.

Edited by Stephen1918

Great stuff....the Martinsyde AND the Caudron. Fantastic work! Thx a million!!!

img00006_zps734d1774.jpg

img00001_zps0471d3f9.jpg

img00002_zpsdf7e6ce1.jpg

img00004_zpsa15f987a.jpg

img00003_zpsc2b37405.jpg

img00005_zps1c3ee867.jpg

• Like 4

gterl - I noticed that the upper wing center section of your Martinsyde is gray.  That's one of those infuriating problems that has no obvious cause.  Stephen1918 experienced the same thing during testing, but ojcar and I did not - our Martinsydes ran OK.  The center section should be skinned like shot below.  Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

Edited by Geezer

Thanks Stephen, awesome plane, and great model.

36 planes! No kidding, you and Oscar deserve medals!

Personally of all of them, the ones I most appreciate are the early war 2-seaters - russian, austro-hungarian, british, french and german of which there must be now 12 or more. A fascinating collection for a ww1 flying enthusiast.

I'll delurk to second that, Stephen's models are great and cover a nice variety of subjects.good.gif.pagespeed.ce.PoYRIVsMjL.gif

I admit to having a partiality to the two seaters as well, in particular the German and Austrian C types. My current favourites are the Phonix and UFAG C.1's, but I also like the various Albatros machines as well.

Keep up the good work, Stephen!

Mike. :cool:

Wow lovely  Thx I've always had a soft spot for the G4

first time i've looked in here in a long time , great to see you are still active Stephen

Martinsyde upper wing center section fixed:

- Opened the LODs with HEX editor

- Changed every reference to the upper wing center section to another new bmp fantasy name

- Renamed the bmp's

- Works now

Root-Cause? I've no idea! All the initial references, file formats, etc. were correct. I've just renamed the bmp's to something else...go figure

rgds

Martinsyde upper wing center section fixed:

- Opened the LODs with HEX editor

- Changed every reference to the upper wing center section to another new bmp fantasy name

- Renamed the bmp's

- Works now

Root-Cause? I've no idea! All the initial references, file formats, etc. were correct. I've just renamed the bmp's to something else...go figure

rgds

Thanks for the info!  Stephen1918 and I have been trying to fix this problem for a week, with no success.  Question: are you running FE1 or FE2?  There may be a connection, because I cannot duplicate the malfunction (I run FE2).  However, Stephen has always experienced the problem (he runs FE1).

Edited by Geezer

Gterl - thanks again for discovering the fix for the center section problem.  I made changes, and sent the revised Martinsyde to Stephen1918 for testing in FE1.  He just notified me that it works OK, so I've uploaded a revision to the CA downloads.  There was never a problem in FE2, and now there is no problem in FE1, so FE Gold should be good too.  :biggrin:

• Like 1