If I am not mistaken only Wings over Vietnam (the time period I am interested in) supports multiplayer, is this pertinent today, does anybody still fly this sim with others online?

I know that the Strike Fighters series is not supposed to support multiplayer, yes?

The Strike Fighters 1 series (Strike Fighters/Wings Over Vietnam/Wings Over Europe/Wings Over Israel) are the programs that support multiplayer.

FC

Thanks FastCargo

Do you know if people are flying multi player any more?  I may as well pick up the newer sim if nobody is doing that these days.

If you are going to find anyone flying SFP1/WoX online at all, start with Hyperlobby, the only place to find such people. There was a very small core group that was there for years. Just a year or two ago I was trying to get back together with them. Hyperlobby is just a meeting place. They ultimately fly using Hamachi if they are still flying at all. So hang out in the Wings Over Vietnam lobby or Strike Fighters lobby during all hours, and maybe you will see someone, if you are lucky. If you never see anyone within a week, there is no one left to fly online.

Welcome to Combat Ace.... As stated by Streakeagle multi player is all but done, with your stated interest In Vietnam era aviation then for sure the best choice for you would be to get SF2 Vietnam, run it for a few weeks to get the feel for this fabulous series......then go and get the expansion pack, and watch your install blossom into a truly emersive environment that will really challenge your abilities and take the hole SF2 experience to a new level.

Cheers

Romflyer

@Romflyer

Looked at your cockpit video on YouTube, nice!

Noticed you were giving voice commands to control wingmen, is that a part of the sim or is this done with other mods/software?

The voice recognition is an external program called Shoot, the link below will get you everything required to get it up and running, including an updated exe to fix problems running it under win7 and 8

http://combatace.com/topic/82599-speech-recognition/

Nice to hear that you enjoyed the video.....I keep meaning to do another one which would show off a bit more of the functionality of my set-up....but I just never get around to it

Did you get around to making a decision about SF2v or WOV?

A little something to help you get into the possible depth and fun with this series....a few years back there was a thread called DID (dead is dead) the point was to play campaigns with a level of seriousness a few steps above the norm..... Have read through some of this thread http://combatace.com/topic/49956-the-double-ds/page-8 keep an eye out for posts by Lt. Cater he takes the depth of this game to a really neat level of seriousness ....... It's inspiring, and some fun reading..... In WOV

Hope you enjoy

Cheers

Romflyer

The Lt. has some good tips and diagrams to study.  Seems he has not been back here since 10 June 2014, hope he continues to show up here from time to time.  His last post, 4 June 2014 seems to indicate that he will be flying WOV Gold and WOE, I don’t know what the NF4 reference is about.  Reading that, either he prefers the older sim or is just more familiar with it perhaps.

As for which sim to pick up, I am leaning toward SF2v due to the fact that it seems that it is highly unlikely that I would be able to hook up with another player online.  I am from the IL2 world as of the last few years and I enjoy the co-op environment, working with another human wingman to accomplish the mission and stay alive.  Nothing like the satisfaction of working well with another person and maybe saving his butt or him yours.  My last jet sim was Fighter Anthology, that’s a few year back.  Have spent some time in DCS but only a few hours.

Might have to pick both up, LOL, just to cover the bases.  Don’t know what I think of having to learn 2 new sims but is seems like they should be similar in most ways.  Would be nice to be able to map the controls once for both sims for example. And if for example Lt. or someone else showed up and was of the mind, I could fly wing and they could show me the ropes etc.

Going to have to try that Shoot program for AI comms.

WOV and SF2v are really the same game.....the later is optimized to take advantage of newer hardware and newer operating systems (post XP) but they are the same game/sim.......SF2 looks better, runs better, and has some new features buts it's just a progression of the original series........without multiplayer

NF4 (NATO Fighters 4) is another complete re-build for WOE or NF5 for SF2 europe ......it is the same thing as what I suggested earlier for SF2v (air and ground expansion pack)......one of the great things about this sim (and this community) is that you can D/L all these rebuilds and new theatres that completely transform into new installs....Desert Storm, Korea, Falklands, Operation tainted cigar (Cuba), Scandinavian front, Formosa, etc. etc....... And many more

Did I mention anything about planes.......lots of different planes :-)

Picked up SF Vietnam, I see a learning curve coming on. Just deciding where I will assign keys to start with and remember where I put them and discover how TrackIR behaves in this sim. 

Does the Yankee Air Pirate Flight School training modules work with this sim?

No idea about YAP...I know it was for the first series but there might be support for the second series...?

As for the learning curve Streakeagle has a few offerings stickied on the TW forums http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB3w/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=9ab9744f9d544a1311325c63c20c6227 One is a keyboard layout which is very helpfull when getting started, and the other is a great tutorial on using radar in an F-4 which is a great place to start understanding how to use the weapons

Hope it helps

Cheers

Romflyer

YAP is limeted only to Gen1 sim (Wings over Vietnam).
Not for any Gen2 sim.