RUSTYMORLEY

Top Ten FPS Games

Along with Combat Flight Simulator games I have also been playing First Person Shooter games for the PC. Over the years I have played games like Quake, Delta Force, Medal of Honour, Red Orchestra and Call of Duty. What do you consider to be the Best First Person Shooter Games for the PC. Please feel free to list your TOP TEN!!!.

Edited by RUSTYMORLEY

1. Rainbow Six Vegas (and Vegas 2)

2. Half Life 2

3. F.E.A.R.

4. Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfare

5. Doom 3

6. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

7. FEAR 2

8. Battlefield 3

9. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

10. Wolfenstein: The New Order

- Jake

(I only play single-player.)

Cool idea

1 - Metal Gear Solid (from first to third, after it's no more than "arigatou pro-anarcho-conspiracy-japansthebest" fan game made for)

2 - Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (it was my first true FPS)

3 - MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries

4 - MechWarrior 3

5 - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky

6 - Battlefield 1942 (so many funny mods)

7 - Delta Force: Black Hawk Down

8 - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (was my first HD game)

9 - TimeSplitters 2

10 - Star Wars Jedi Knight 2 (Truly...)

EDIT : You beat me by minutes Palpatine.
Edited by B52STRATO
  • Like 2

Great Stuff !!!!! - Keep em coming !!!!    I have played some of these but certainly not all, I think I will have to seriously look at some of the ones you guys have mentioned !!!  

1- Star Wars, Republic Commando

2- F.E.A.R. series

3- Wolfenstein 2009

4- Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2

5- Call of Duty from 4 above

6- Sniper Elite 2

7- Half Life 2

8- Bioshock

9- Battlefield 3

10- Star Wars Battlefield 2

Maybe not in order but those are the ones i like, one my first one will always be Republic Commando :D

1. America's Army

2. COD Black Ops

3. COD: World At War

4. COD: MW

5. BF3

6. COD: BO2

7. BF:BC2 Vietnam

8. COD: MW2

9. BF4

10. BF2

Hmm.

No One Lives Forever

No One Lives Forever 2

FEAR

Aliens vs Predator 2

HL2

Bioshock

Rainbow 6: Rogue Spear

Rainbow 6: Raven Shield

Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast\Academy (I consider them one big game)

Ghost Recon

Hidden and Dangerous 2

Far Cry

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

Crysis

Thief (current one)

Thief 2

Deus Ex

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Did I go past 10? Oh well.

Doom, Duke Nukem, Rise of the Triad, Delta Force, Counter Strike, Call Of Duty, Ghost Recon, Battlefield, Battlefront, America´s Army

Oh, and Day of Defeat. A relatively unknown multiplayer shooter wich however was thrilling and exciting. Challenging and scary as Ghost Recon, but set in WW2

I'm old so how about;

George Lucus's Outlaws

Prey

Timeshift

Redneck Rampage

Unreal

Deadmans Hand

PS. some these are avaiable ove at GOG.com

Well I made my list of games based on playing online. Offline games.

1. Crysis series

2. Skyrim (for all the mods)

3. Far Cry 1 and 3

4. Rainbow Six series

5. Oblivion (for the mods)

6. Arma Series

7. Operation Flashpoint (for all the mods)

8. Doom series

9. Wolfenstein series

10. Fallout series (for the mods)

Good lists ... I don't have. Haven't touched an FPS game since ....

oh wait I forgot about

Fallout NV (Extremely Over the top heavily modded by the way)

Fallout 3    (Heavily modded)

Battlefield Bad Company

Battlefield 2

Battlefield DC *I think that was a mod*

Battlefield 1941

Hellsgate (depends on what class you were I guess)

Yeah that's it. I mainly flight sim and play Mass Effect Series. No decent mech games (single player) for PC these days.

I only play are the STALKER trilogy and the Mass Effect trilogy from that type. Own few more but hardly played them through even once.

Okay for me on this it would be as follows though not in the following order :-

Doom The Daddy that started it all and you can now even play it on a Canon Printer http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/15/can-you-play-doom-on-a-printer-yes-you-canon/?ncid=rss_truncated

Stalker series all 3 of them awesome games and then you mod them and they become even better

Sniper Elite 2

Farcry 1 and 3

Borderlands even if it is just for the humour

Systemshock 2 played that an age or 10 ago...

Half Life 1

Bioshock

Medal of Honour

Star Wars Dark Forces

Oh hell I could be here all day so I am stopping now...

Edited by Slartibartfast

Okay for me on this it would be as follows though not in the following order :-

Doom The Daddy that started it all and you can now even play it on a Canon Printer http://www.joystiq.com/2014/09/15/can-you-play-doom-on-a-printer-yes-you-canon/?ncid=rss_truncated

Stalker series all 3 of them awesome games and then you mod them and they become even better

Sniper Elite 2

Farcry 1 and 3

Borderlands even if it is just for the humour

Systemshock 2 played that an age or 10 ago...

Half Life 1

Bioshock

Medal of Honour

Star Wars Dark Forces

Oh hell I could be here all day so I am stopping now...

Actually it was the original Wolfstein 3d that started the FPS genre. DOOM IMHO started the horror survival genre.

Falcon

• Like 1

Well, some games like Alone in the Dark started the survival horror thing. Doom was more a landmark of sort for FPS genre.

By the way, a more full list, but a very 1990's one since I hadn't played much F.P.S. since:

- Jedi Knight ( a gem)

- Jedi Knight II (a second gem)

- Skynet (I loved the easter eggs -tech noir!!!- and I am quite fond of the first two terminator movies.)

- Doom, I remember being scared as hell in some corridors...

- Played a little bit of Duke Nukem 3D and met, well, hookers.

- Goldeneye on N64 had an awesome multiplayer mode.

Ok, here's mine.

COD World at War

Battlefield 1942

Day of Defeat

Brothers in Arms Hells Highway

Dark Messiah of might and Magic

Half Life 2

FEAR

Wolfenstein new order

Sniper Elite 1,2 & 3

Call of Juarez

Okay, Thanks a lot for your input guys, I will now go off and find some Demos to play......... 

Edited by RUSTYMORLEY

Here's mine, and why:

1. Battlefield 3, before whatever the hell patch nerfed the AA gun and tank buckshot: 64 player MP, assortement of tanks, fighting vehicles, planes and heloes, well presented, good looks, good gameplay (much more important than looks!), and the AA gun could be used as a general fighting vehicle as one would expect of a small tank with a 25mm or 30mm cannon on the top.  Also, a helicopter getting hit by about 50 tungsten balls at point blank range isn't going to be flying anymore...why the hell did they change it?

2. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare: It had good balance, the perks weren't super OP'd, it wasn't just a matter of "spawn-kill-die, spawn-kill-die" like later titles, and it was still MOD-ABLE!  Played on Counterstrike maps, earlier COD maps, all sorts of maps and weapon mods could be gotten FOR FREE.  No paying Activision!

3. Insurgency: Feels like a cross between COD 4 and Rainbow Six 3 in my own opinion, but for only $15 at full price.  Has content patches, free maps, etc...basically everything that made MW good, and apart from playing well, it looks pretty damn good too, all at 1/4 the base asking price of the latest COD/BF titles WITHOUT the $15/per expansions.  Also, the damage models seem to have been highly influenced by the old-school Rainbow Six titles...when you get shot, you generally die unless you're lucky, and I like that!  Speaking of R6...

4. Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield: Bringing the R6 line up to more modern standards, RS3:RS was a lot of fun because you couldn't just run around and gun people willy-nilly.  You had to concern yourself with hostage rescue, stealth, and the fact that the enemy was armed with assault rifles, and you only had Kevlar.  As such, single hits were usually enough to drop someone.  It required thinking, and that's what I feel made it so good.

5. Battlefield 1942 with DC mod: This one came out during that span of time when a ridiculous number of WWII FPS's came out.  The game itself was great, 64 player MP that the series became known for, tanks, planes, ships, and all sorts of goodies to use in a massive battle.  But what really sold it for me was the Desert Combat mod, which added in modern equipment when modern FPS's were sorely lacking (ironic now that that's almost all we see).  M1A1's, Bradleys, T-72's, F-14's, MiG-29's...it was great.

6. Ghost Recon: The original Ghost Recon was almost like Rainbow Six, but with significantly larger maps.  The reason I like it is the same reason I liked the early (pre-Vegas) R6 installments: you actually had to think about what you were doing, scout the area, and not move recklessly before engaging the enemy.

7. Blood 2: An older game, Blood 2 was somewhat akin to Quake, but with a hilarious voice-over commentator during multi-play.  It's story was chalk full of dark comedy as well.  What else to say but it was a lot of fun.

8. Unreal Tournament: Another older game, UT had excellent modability.  I recall the ridiculousness of some of the weapons, like the Quantum Singularity Generator, Rail Gun, Redeemer...it was a blast.

9. Rainbow Six: The original R6 almost looks like you took Resident Evil 1 or 2 and put a 1st person camera into your character nowadays, but back then, it was cutting edge.  Still, like the later title R6:3, it was very strategic for a tactical shooter.  

10. Doom: How could this one not be in here?  Multiplayer capable, very linear, but with great weapons and progressively harder levels, Doom, I feel, was a great step forward from Wolf 3D, and stands to this day as one of the most fun FPSs out there.

• Like 1

Duke Nukem zero hour was the only game I played where you could actually blow a hole in someone's chest.