Sign in to follow this  
streakeagle

First confirmed F-4E kill with the DCS MiG-21bis

I spent some time getting my stick and throttle mapped.

I tried a takeoff and a little flying...

Then I jumped into the instant action Dogfight: guns only vs an F-4E Phantom.

It only took a few flights to figure out how to get my nose around on the F-4 in a way that set up a classic 6 o'clock gunshot.

Took a few more flights to get a feel for the lead angle I would need as the gyro sight isn't as useful as US gunsights on the P-51D and F-86F.

Squared up and fired two small bursts.

F-4 went down in flames.

So far, the MiG-21bis is everything I hoped it would be.

It is going to take awhile to get all the clickable switch locations and/or key mappings down.

My F-4 B-8 grip is perfect for modeling the MiG-21 stick... just missing the wheel brakes paddle (using the left throttle stick on the Warthog Throttle).

The Target software allows a decent way to model the landing gear lever and lock operation as well as the 3-position flaps.

Clearly, with so many toggle switches, it would be better if I built my own MiG-21 control panels!

• Like 1

That's cool, may be you should have recorded the dogfight with Fraps and upload it on Youtube, I do enjoy watching videos of others along with playing the game myself.  :biggrin:

• Like 2

Ahh, how I envy you...  :beee:  Well congrats on your flight!! :biggrin:

Can you tell me about the effectiveness and usage of the AAMs on the Mig-21? Especially the R-3S (Atoll A) and the RS2-US (Alkali B) what interests me...

And yes, at least some scrshots please! ))

Edited by Snailman

I have the track file, which I could record and upload. It was too late to even post a screenshot last night. Paid for lack of sleep at work, but well worth it! Been waiting for this addon for quite a long time. 

Ahh!!! Just you wait... When DCS releases an F-4E, F-14 or an F-16 Module....I'll do the same thing with the MiG-21 as my victim.... But then again; I'm not sure when this is going to happen though....Apparently no new 4th, 4.5th and 5th gen modules seem anywhere near release except for maybe Belsimtek's F-15C Advanced flight model which was recently out.... 

P.S.: This was only meant to be taken on a lighter note.... No offence meant to anyone...

Cheers!

Edited by SkyStrike

Of course I would love to have the F-4E, but the MiG-21bis is an adequate substitute.

Here is a video of another kill I made last night:

• Like 2

Ahh!!! Just you wait... When DCS releases an F-4E, F-14 or an F-16 Module....I'll do the same thing with the MiG-21 as my victim.... But then again; I'm not sure when this is going to happen though....Apparently no new 4th, 4.5th and 5th gen modules seem anywhere near release except for maybe Belsimtek's F-15C Advanced flight model which was recently out.... 

P.S.: This was only meant to be taken on a lighter note.... No offence meant to anyone...

Cheers!

Myself i lost all hopes of seeing a F-14 on DCS, it's a 2 seater so i guess that makes things a little more complicated. So if at least a F-4 or even a F-8 Crusader are released, i'll probably be jumping in.

Myself i lost all hopes of seeing a F-14 on DCS, it's a 2 seater so i guess that makes things a little more complicated. So if at least a F-4 or even a F-8 Crusader are released, i'll probably be jumping in.

Yeah... but ,The F-4 Phantom is very much a two seater.... All production variants / active combat service variants of the F-4 Phantom II were 2-seaters.... 

F-14 replaced the USN's F-4s in fleet defense after all. :wink:

Yeah... but ,The F-4 Phantom is very much a two seater.... All production variants / active combat service variants of the F-4 Phantom II were 2-seaters.... 

Yes you are correct. Sincerely, i'd rather have a F-14 made by ED themselves instead of IRIS which seems to be vaporware. They announced 3 projects like 3 years ago and none is out. Don't really care about them anymore. What makes me lose hope is that other serious developers might not consider the Tomcat because supposedly IRIS is making one.

At least partial good news is that because they're making F-18C, they have to improve the Nimitz and carrier ops, so that might open a better window for the F-14 too. The F-18C is in the timeframe of the F-14B so maybe.

I just wish they wouldn't lose so much time on helicopters and at least focus on a specific timeframe instead of being all over the place. I'll crack myself up if they announce a Sopwith Camel...

While I really want a Vietnam era F-4 or even an F-8 or F-105, they have no contemporaries to fight. The MiG-21bis is the wrong aircraft for a Vietnam era fight. The slatted F-4E is the perfect contemporary for the MiG-21bis, but given the complexity of its radar and two seats, a Mirage III/Kfir or F-5E are much more practical. If any aircraft fought MiG-21s as much a F-4s and F-15s, it was the Mirage III's flying for Israel.

• Like 1

That was so beautiful!!!!!!

Edited by mauroleite
  • Like 1