swambast

World War II Combat Flight Sim Options?

Hey All,

My younger son (age 10) is starting to get really interested in some of the World War II aircraft, and no surprise his love is the P-51D Mustang.  I'd really like to get him into a good flight sim to see how he enjoys it.  Any suggestions you guys have to share on some good WWII combat flight sim options out there?  For example, what about some of the Thirdwire World War II options?  Or of course, the first thing that really jumps out to me is good 'ol IL2 - but I'm really out of the loop on all the mods/upgrade packs, etc.  Or what else might be out there for consideration?  Any and all advice/suggestions would be welcomed - thanks for your time and sharing your thoughts if you care to!

I guess it depends on you kiddy patience.

Thirdwire could be a good option, with mods. But I guess the king of WW2 sims is still IL2 1946.

Thanks Fubar, I actually remember purchasing that title during a Steam special, but never had the hard drive space to install, the thing is a whopper but it sure looks like a great option to consider.  THANK YOU for the recommendation!  :biggrin:

Heroes over Europe is something you could try too Steve

It's going to seem overdated, but why not CFS3? I was 10 years old just at its release and it was, at that moment, a real slap in the face, and I still love to replay a bit today (especially when Korea modded).

WoP has REAL rain effects!!! Water streaming across the windscreen and canopy; pretty amazing!

and Dover LOOKS like Dover ...

Thanks everyone...!

Looks like Wings of Prey is a "must".  I'm trying to get him into a cockpit so he has to work for his success...!   :biggrin: 

Kevin, what about some good ol' fashioned SF2 World War 2 action?  Any big European-theater WW2 packages "ready to go" that you might recommend?

The IL2 path is still of interest to me, but seems like a witch hunt on figuring on even where to start - so any IL2 gurus please feel free to chime in.

Man, CFS3 - that is one I had forgotten about, and I do own that title.  Any big upgrades made to that title?  I always thought it had great potential back in the day.  But the one thing that really sticks out for me is the "neverending turning" dog fights where the AI would just circle and circle and circle...although some of the ground pounding stuff was decent.

The good old European Air War with the latest community patch. Its my favorite WW2 sim. Old, but very good.