Sign in to follow this  
Menrva

Animation problem with TMF F-14

I'm not sure if this is a bug, it happens with the plane either parked at an airbase or on an aircraft carrier.

If anyone knows which parameters need to be checked in the _DATA.ini it would be much appreciated.

Well .. I think that this disposition of TF-30 AB is not a problem, so many times real Tomcat parked on flight line have this disposition.

Then you don't care.

Real problem in animation are glove-vanes , swing-wing cause is not present a swithc for manual and automatic wing position and refuel probe

because miss like also the TCS camera that is swithable indipendently by radar in ACM mode and still miss the left and right consoles on pilot cockpi cause panels are blank.

I wish  that modders can create this animation, Tomcat surely would be more than interesting .

What you think ?

Blaze,

That's not an animation problem.  Take a look at parked/shut down F-14's from the aft end - you'll see they're usually asymmetric.  Some Tomcat Tweakers talked about this:

"[For the] TF-30, Whichever engine was shut down last the nozzle would close because of electrical power dropping off disengaging the pop-open solenoid before AB fuel hydraulic pressure bleeds off.  Same would happen occasionally with normal hydraulic pressure if shutting down with the flaps down would make the aux flaps auto retract."

To get both open or both closed, the aircrew had to pull one of two circuit breakers before shutdown: pop engine start breaker, or pop Weight on Wheels circuit breaker, depending on what position you wanted.  Another Tomcat Tweaker pointed out that this was something they did a lot for airshows, so they wouldn't constantly be asked the question "why is one engine 'bigger' than the other?"

Antares,

The game doesn't support both manual and automatic deployment of wings and vanes, it's one or the other, so we have it automatic since that's how the F-14 was most commonly flown.  Similarly, the TCS cannot be slaved to the radar, nor pointed by the player.  Right now, it's just a forward looking camera because that's what the game supports.  At least it's zoomed in!

Thanks for the replies. Caesar, I have to admit I was pretty unsure about it, I mean The Mirage Factory F-14 is so perfect that I guessed it wasn't a bug, but a feature. I'm wondering if TK's F-14 has a similar thing, but I think it doesn't.

• Like 1

The glove vanes were disabled on all F-14s sometime during the 1980s, as they proved somewhat problematic from a maintenance perspective.  Also, from what I've been told by a RL Tomcat driver, the stated improvement in stability and Mach-speed G-load with the glove vanes operational really wasn't all it was cracked up to be when one was carrying a typical loadout.

Strangely enough, it depended largely on the squadron as to when the Glove Vanes were deactivated.  Some of them were active into the mid-90's and I recall at least one airframe type telling me that they would leave them active 'till they broke by that point (mid-late 1990's).  If they stopped working, they disconnected the actuators and locked 'em shut.  On the other hand, yes, some squadrons did lock them by the late 1980's, one Tomcat RIO recalling that during a late-80's cruise, he never saw them move from stowed position (I'm a little surprised they had that much freedom with it, but I've seen photos from around 1996 of several "A's" with their vanes out).  Another ("Bio" Baranek) mentioned that they had become very popular to roll out in the break during his time with VF-2 from 1987-1990.  I've also heard the same thing Fubar was told from the pilots: the glove vanes didn't do a hell of a lot for the aircraft even in the supersonic regime, and were most desirable during low-altitude, high subsonic/low supersonic flight (one F-14 driver commenting that they made for a "more steady and stable platform" at the lower altitudes, another saying that the ride wasn't as rough with them out), or to "look cool," but didn't have really impacting tactical implications.

As such, in the F-14 Super Pack, we kept the Glove Vanes active in the 74, 82, and Iranian F-14A's, and locked them in the F-14A_96 to reflect that by this point, F-14A's with working Glove Vanes were few and far between.