Sign in to follow this  
FarmBoy

Interesting and Challenging Terrain

The first flight sim I bought was A10 cuba, and even having bought just about every other flight sim that has come out over the last ten years or so, I keep going back to this.

The basic reason is that it combined a realistic flight model, with some interesting and challenging terrain to fly through. I mean the stuff like bridges, canyons, tunnels and caverns. Once I had played all the missions, it became much more interesting trying to fly through the road tunnel at maximum speed, or trying to skim throught the canyons as low as possible, it was really fun. Despite the main game being as realistic as possible, ie a sensible map of cuba with realisic combat, the developers werent afraid to just go out and have some FUN in other aspects of the game. For example the multiplayer maps included one that was covered in strange alien impossible tower structures, and one in "outer space" where you could land in floating asteroids.

"Fun" terrain, rather than eye candy is something that practically every other flight sim I can think of has done astoundingly badly.

I figure you guys are kind of limited to the Falklands terrain for the main part of the game, hey thats not a bad thing, in fact I have always been interested in seeing a Falklands based flight sim.

Can I just encourage you guys to consider doing some fun stuff in addition to the main game? Like inlcude a training map or multiplayer map covered in canyons and tunnels.

I have been longning to see a realistic harrier flight sim for so long, but it would be so much more interesting to have some crazy terrain to fly it through. In fact how about an Airwolf style 'volcano' to try and land in? Or at least a cave or two..

Just wanted to throw out some thoughts anyway, I while I appreciate hardcore flight simming I think some developers just tend to forget about the fun part at the end, perhaps this is why the flight sim market has almost ceased to exist.

Edited by FarmBoy

Just wanted to throw out some thoughts anyway, I while I appreciate hardcore flight simming I think some developers just tend to forget about the fun part at the end, perhaps this is why the flight sim market has almost ceased to exist.

I agree completely, don't worry, the islands will be only rocks, sheeps and Port Stanley, as they are really, but in Argentina itself, it's a country, there will be huge cities, harbours, railroads, railroad bridges, railroad tunnels, and everything else one could find in a normal 1980's country. I loved the idea of the Airwolf style volcano hideout :)

I'm playing with this map creation bit in JT, and as I'm seeing with the Stanley airfield layout, JT will be flexible enough for fun online maps.

Btw, I thought IL-2 have some fun things in the scenario, like the trains - I even placed in the mission editor 2 trains comming at each other so I could do the stunt of passing between the two moments before of they impact each other :) try it! I still have the trk file I think, I tried many times to get the right timing :)

Edited by Dante-JT

Sounds like you guys have got the right idea!!

if you have a graphics engine that can handle tunnels, then how about some "Descent" style caverns for a bit of multiplayer Harrier combat, how much fun would that be?

It would be hilarious to suddenly fly inside the tunnel as the Harrier and sit inside, making the enemy wonder "Where is the bugger?"