Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

MiG-29 mock dogfight footage

hey cool one. anyway to enable subtitles on this thing?

This is a relatively old video, but a great one in deed. If any one is curious about the comments of the pilot, (that's the Cyrillic text at the bottom of the screen), I could help.

The pilot with the open visor is General Rumen Radev, now Commander in Chief of the Bulgarian Air Force, aged 51, still flying MiG-29A.

On October 11, 2014 Gen. Radev starred the airshow at Sofia Airport in Bulgaria for the 102nd Anniversary of the Bulgarian Air Force (October 16, 2014).

I was lucky to watch the rehearsals and then the show itself. There are some amateur videos of the show in youtube.

The General won huge applause from the spectators doing with a MiG-29A a low altitude "Cobra" manoeuvre, followed by 2 "Kambana" manoeuvres (kambana is the Bulgarian word for bell, sorry I cannot remember the English name of the manoeuvre - the aircraft going vertical until it stalls, then sliding down on its tail until nose starts to point down again and the aircraft to accelerate).

After that he headed for a landing, but just before he would touch down, afterburners were on again and with some 20-30m altitude gained, he rolled the aircraft in half tono and flew inverted over the runway for some 5-10 sec or so, slowly gaining more altitude, before completing the tono, gear down all the time.

We also watched low altitude dogfight between 2 MiG-29As, man was it impressive, the first MiG-29 doing expert flying manoeuvres, the second one chasing close and trying to get in firing position for gunfight, burners on most of the time.

I have barely missed 1 or 2 airshows of the Bulgarian Air Force in the past 20 years, but I have never seen before Bulgarian pilots flying so low and so close in front of civilian spectators.

The show was named "This is us", i.e. Bulgarian Air Force pilots showing their capabilities to the general public. It was great.

MigBuster, sorry, that was not intended to hijack your tread, just to add some information to the great video for anyone who might be interested.

Edited by Svetlin
  • Like 1

have barely missed 1 or 2 airshows of the Bulgarian Air Force in the past 20 years, but I have never seen before Bulgarian pilots flying so low and so close in front of civilian spectators.

one of the benefits of NATO membership i guess, must have a strong air force! :bb:

one of the benefits of NATO membership i guess, must have a strong air force! :bb:

Not quite so unfortunately, we have talented pilots such as Gen. Radev, but the Air Force have been suffering for years from budget cuts, resulting in pilots doing a third or so of the annual flight time of the average NATO pilot.

The pilot with the open visor is wearing an old MiG-21 style helmet and a non soviet oxygen mask. While the pilot with the red star is wearing the original soviet MiG-29 helmet and oxygen mask.

The german MiG-29 pilots used only for a short time the soviet helmet and changed later to the NATO style helmet. Interesstingly the most pilots said, that the soviet helmet was the better one.

Edited by Gepard

The pilot with the open visor is wearing an old MiG-21 style helmet and a non soviet oxygen mask. While the pilot with the red star is wearing the original soviet MiG-29 helmet and oxygen mask.

The german MiG-29 pilots used only for a short time the soviet helmet and changed later to the NATO style helmet. Interesstingly the most pilots said, that the soviet helmet was the better one.

Believe it or not, a Bulgarian Air Force pilot says, the MiG-29 style helmets were not personally adjusted for each pilot and so in flight and with the HMTS fitted on, the helmet would not stay stable on the pilot's head, causing discomfort and even potential danger.

Since many of the elderly pilots turned to MiG-29 from MiG-21 or MiG-23, I guess some of them opted to keep their old style helmetm used on the 21 or 23, that would be more comfortable in flight.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By madvad
      Hello guys!
      Does anyone, for God's sake, have a correct loadout for the MiG-29?
      All the models I have here, and there are many, have such a confusing loadout and when you go to the weapon selection screen, it allows you to put 2 air-to-air missiles on each pylon, one overwriting the other and wrong things like that.
      Is there a definitive loadout that I can paste in the data.ini of the aircraft and solve these errors?
    • By Menrva

View File NovaLogic Skin Pack
      NovaLogic Skin Pack
      September 13th, 2022 (1st Release)
      by Menrva

>For Strike Fighters 2 games
      This package includes high quality skins representing the player's aircraft from three lite flight simulators released by NovaLogic, namely F-22 Raptor in 1997, F-16 Multirole Fighter and MiG-29 Fulcrum both released in 1998. Below, a summary of the details of each skins:
      -NL_357CW, for the F-22A Raptor aircraft I released. This skin represents the fictive Raptor Squadron of the 58th TFS, 357th CW (Composite Wing), which took part in military operations in Angola, Jordan, Russia, Colombia and Iran. Serial numbers are realistic, the first being 001 as portrayed on the player's aircraft from NovaLogic's game.
      -NL_16AESOG, for the F-16C Block 42 aircraft released by The Viper Team. It depicts the fictive Viper Squadron of the 32nd TFS, 16th AESOG (Air Expeditionary Special Operations Group), which took part in military operations in Serbia, Liberia, Congo, Burma and Somalia. I made the skin for the Block 42, since it's reminescent of the one that NovaLogic modelled. Serial numbers are semi-realistic, the first being 112 as portrayed on the player's aircraft from NovaLogic's game.
      -NL_11EW, for the MiG-29S Fulcrum-C aircraft released by The Mirage Factory. It depicts the fictive 300 Squadron of the 7th Red Banner Guards Regiment, 11th Expeditionary Wing, which took part in military operations in the Kurile Islands, Uganda, Somalia, Burma and Tajikistan. Serial numbers are generic, the aircraft does not have any in NovaLogic's game.

>Credits (in no particular order):
      -The Viper Team, for its detailed F-16 3d models and relative templates.
      -The Mirage Factory, for its good old MiG-29 3d model.
      -Sundowner, for the MiG-29 templates he made available.
      -yakarov79, for his reworked F-22 3d model and relative templates.

>Disclaimer:
      This is a freeware; yet it can be redistributed ONLY in other CombatACE mods/mod packages.
      This mod may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware additions.
      Submitter Menrva Submitted 09/12/2022 Category What If Skins  
    • By Menrva
      NovaLogic Skin Pack
      September 13th, 2022 (1st Release)
      by Menrva

>For Strike Fighters 2 games
      This package includes high quality skins representing the player's aircraft from three lite flight simulators released by NovaLogic, namely F-22 Raptor in 1997, F-16 Multirole Fighter and MiG-29 Fulcrum both released in 1998. Below, a summary of the details of each skins:
      -NL_357CW, for the F-22A Raptor aircraft I released. This skin represents the fictive Raptor Squadron of the 58th TFS, 357th CW (Composite Wing), which took part in military operations in Angola, Jordan, Russia, Colombia and Iran. Serial numbers are realistic, the first being 001 as portrayed on the player's aircraft from NovaLogic's game.
      -NL_16AESOG, for the F-16C Block 42 aircraft released by The Viper Team. It depicts the fictive Viper Squadron of the 32nd TFS, 16th AESOG (Air Expeditionary Special Operations Group), which took part in military operations in Serbia, Liberia, Congo, Burma and Somalia. I made the skin for the Block 42, since it's reminescent of the one that NovaLogic modelled. Serial numbers are semi-realistic, the first being 112 as portrayed on the player's aircraft from NovaLogic's game.
      -NL_11EW, for the MiG-29S Fulcrum-C aircraft released by The Mirage Factory. It depicts the fictive 300 Squadron of the 7th Red Banner Guards Regiment, 11th Expeditionary Wing, which took part in military operations in the Kurile Islands, Uganda, Somalia, Burma and Tajikistan. Serial numbers are generic, the aircraft does not have any in NovaLogic's game.

>Credits (in no particular order):
      -The Viper Team, for its detailed F-16 3d models and relative templates.
      -The Mirage Factory, for its good old MiG-29 3d model.
      -Sundowner, for the MiG-29 templates he made available.
      -yakarov79, for his reworked F-22 3d model and relative templates.

>Disclaimer:
      This is a freeware; yet it can be redistributed ONLY in other CombatACE mods/mod packages.
      This mod may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware additions.
    • By bazillius

View File MiG-29 9-12 UKRAINIAN SKINS 1996, 2006 years
      MiG-29 9-12 UKRAINIAN SKINS 1996, 2006 years
      Submitter bazillius Submitted 10/17/2020 Category MiG-29  
    • By bazillius
      MiG-29 9-12 UKRAINIAN SKINS 1996, 2006 years

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..