Sign in to follow this  
MadJeff

Well, that's about it for me...

I've decided to set Strike Fighters aside for awhile. Frankly, the frustrations are outweighing the fun at this point and it's either take a step back or never touch the game again.

I've held my tongue these past few months, as well as my review that I wrote after the game initially came out. I've played with most of the beta patch builds, and while they were fun, I bought this game for the MP aspects, and right now MP is nothing but a headache.

I swore I would not whine about this, but it's either get it out of my system or take the CD outside and use it for some skeet practice. So I'm going to say this once and then let it go...

As it stands right now, this game is a major disappointment. Not because it's a horrible game, because this game has more potential than any sim I've ever played. But that's the problem, the POTENTIAL is there, yet it has so far to go just to be fun. It's a modders dream, yet it's just too frustrating to be fun. Sims are supposed to be fun! But every time I play I want to put my head through the monitor by the end of the session.

I'm not a fanboy, and I'm don't think Strategy First is the antichrist. I'm just a guy that likes to fly sims. Who's to blame? Frankly, I don't care. I have my opinions. I think this game was released by SF against TK's wishes and he's trying to make the best of a bad situation. I don't think he's any happier than we are about how things are going. I think he's bending over backwards to get things fixed. I don't even doubt that he will get the problems ironed out and this sim will shine eventually.

But will anyone care by then? Only time will tell. It's all just a reflection of the bigger problem of publishers pushing known buggy crap out the door that they know the consumer will buy regardless, they can always release a patch later. And we as consumers are no better. We moan and bitch about the state of the business, but in the end, we go back to the trough ever time, so in their eyes there is no need for them to change their SOP...

This doesn't mean I'm not going to cover Strike Fighters, so relax. 8) I'll keep on doin' what I've been doing. I'll probably even start playing again, AFTER some more issues are resolved and the MP problems/features are dealt with. And TK, if you read this, this is by no means an attack against you. Like I said, I know you are busting you butt trying to get things resolved. It's just too bad SF didn't give you six more months to really make things perfect (or as close and can be expected in this business... :) )

Damn, a bit of a rant there. It's late and I'll probably regret this in the morning, but I feel slightly better right now.

Guest Ranger332

Everyone needs to "vent" dosent mean you give it just means your "pissed""annoyed",or just plan mad.

When I lead troops in Combat there were times I felt like "what the hell"

"what good am I doing-"--just before I picked up my "kit" and marched out to inspect my men prior to a patrol so its good to "vent". Everyone "second guesses" them selfs,it the way we reevaluate our selfs. Get some "face time" take a lil R and R. and rember you deserve it.

Rember how long it took to get this far the patch fixed alot of things but we seemed to have lost MP its hard to get in ,and some keep "fallingout" of the game. This to shall pass :D

Guest Ranger332

starting to think maybe the gs and hl servers dont have the update and its a softwear prob? :?:

Kali might be an alternative soon, its being looked into remember :D

Guest Ranger332

ok--------------------Ill plead dumb what that? :?: :?:

Yeah, Kali is ok too.. I use it for Panzer Elite.

I just tried MP in HL for the first time tonight since patching and did not have a single error or CTD. Maybe it is just my luck.

Take a breather MJ... don't let it get to you. I myself am haveing a grand ol time with this sim. Maybe my expectations weren't as high as some, I dunno. The only 2 other sims I fly are IL-2 and Flanker and the occasional forray into CFS1 flying WW1 planes with my old Ritterorden squad. Each game has it's own brand of frustrations. I just don't stress about them anymore. I enjoy what I have while I can and that is the fact of it.

For this sim, strike missions and CAS are a blast for me (literally), the sounds are great.. the visuals very nice.

The community support has been outstanding overall,, and for any sim, you cannot ask much more than that. Sure there are naysayers as well as fanatics (all games have them), but I believe the overall tone has been positive.

As for development, TK has been the only developer who has ever answered a personal email from me about a game. That reflects a certain amount of pride and dedication to his work and I am impressed. He might have had a better pub than Strat First, but you deal with what you have, and he has been doing that.

Overall, I still give this game a hearty thumbs up, I enjoy it and interacting with the people involved with it.

MJ,

I did a bit of testing within the 667th connecting via ip..we had absolutely no problems at all. I think the problems everyone's experiencing at this point is strictly a software issue between the lobbies and the updated game/multiplayer code. Not sure what all changes TK made here, whether he changed some ports or types of info sent, but I would hold off until Jiri and GS do their next updates. You may find it to be much better then.

DK

I disagree that it is only a lobby error. I am experiencing CTDs and more frequently total system crashes in SINGLE PLAYER and MP. (Now this is the patched version - had the same with box). I have clean installed this game 10-15 times, run registry cleaners, etc. It runs BEAUTIFULLY for 10 minutes then without any reason my monitor just sais: 'signal lost' and the system reboots. This is totally unacceptable for a retail game. I cannot give up on SF yet because it is simply too much fun. I do however ting that this game needs to be fixed properly, and fixed in teh MP area, otherwise it will be off my drive in a few weeks..

Guest Ranger332

may need to recheck your install as most are having np in single player is mp thats the prob

Ranger, have you not read my post at all? I said I have literally reinstalled more than 10 times...same problem. I have also re-downloaded the patch just to make sure that my DL was not corrupted. I have a feeling it can be driver or soundcard related but I do not ever have any of these problems with any other games.....SF is in fact the only software I have that can reboot my system so effectively.

There are always solutions to problems,if you take the time to explore all the possiblities.give it some time and let TK work his magic...EAW has great MP and I'm talking with Kali also.

I have no doubt that there will be a solution in the end. This sim is too good to let go and it would be a real shame if it was left where it is now.

Without some sort of self policeing or goverment control,this industry will never change.

If you don't buy the games,they'll just stop makin them,not improve it.

You buy a permit to utilize the content of the cd,there's the rub ,the permit works fine, everytime you use it. the content is another story.

It takes money to make money and you've got to know what you're doing to keep from looseing your arse. If you've got to envolve alot of outsiders to foot the bill,you've shot off your foot before you start.

Most jump in to make a quick buck,we as customers are not part of the plan. They expect to envest a dime to make a dollar,not envest a dollar to make a dime. That would be real nice but it's not the norm or the real world.

Just because you can change a fan belt and plugs on your car,does not make you a master mechanic. :roll:

For now we can only accept what we get or take it back. Maybe on down the road this will change, hopefully.At my age I doubt that I will see it, but life will go on.

Kali might be an alternative soon, its being looked into remember :D

Ah Kali, many fond memories. That may be worth a shot. I'll grab the latest and try it out with someone tonight...

We need to try some direct connect MP flying to see if that consistently works. If so, maybe the problem is not the game but the online software?

I for one, like Jeff, am tired of beta testing software for publishers. I don't for one second believe this is the developers fault, but it is the publishers fault. They are the ones setting the deadlines, and like my users at work, once a deadline is set it is cast in stone. Oh, yeah, I'm a software developer. Nothing ships until I am happy with it, and my users know that. But of course, I don't work for a games publisher, and boy am I happy about that. TK, if you're reading these, you have my most heart-felt sympathies.

BTW, Strategy First, if you're reading this, I won't be buying any more of your products.

Jim

Hey MJ,

Before you give it up check this out in your SF folder. NETCACHE. its a folder in the SF folder. In here you should see AIRCRAFTLIST.DAT this must be there!!! Read below

OK here's my insight on the aircraftlist.dat. This is the file that the system checks when it's looking for differences.

If you have installed this game and the list is not there, you have to reinstall again or copy the file there from someone else.

I watched Cylix try all night last night. To join, to host, to join after the game starts, and nothing but black screen. When I tell him of the needed file and send to him...BAMMO now he can play, better than ever.

It will sit in black screen looking for this file, so guess what happens if you dont have it???

BSOD...Black Screen Of Death

If anyone needs this, my email, icq, homepage, and all the other good crap are at the bottom of the page. I will be glad to help

Fast..I looked in my folder...nothing just a blank folder...went to HL hosted a game..then left as son as I got in the air..looked in the folder and there it was...everyone might need to do that..not sure if you join a game if you get file...but hosting will get you that file.

Hey MJ,

Before you give it up check this out in your SF folder. NETCACHE. its a folder in the SF folder. In here you should see AIRCRAFTLIST.DAT this must be there!!!

Yeah, it's there.

Don't get me wrong, but the point I was making was, we should NOT have to be doing this. For those of you that are not aware, I'm a Systems engineer (Lead R&D Engineer) for a major Pacific NW bank. I concentrate mostly on networking and security. I've messed with hardware and software full-time since I got my first TRS-80 in '79. I can troubleshoot anything, build mission-critical servers blindfolded, and have officially beta-tested probably 50 different software packages, not including all the sims I've bought in my lifetime. :D

The point is, I don't want to have to do the same thing when I load up a flight sim. I want to play! And if I, a pretty knowledgable (IMHO) systems geek, has to fight the software they use to relax, where does that leave the average Joe Gamer that just wants to install and go? If it's nothing but frustrating, then what's the point?? :D

Again, this is more of a rant on the state of recreational software in general then directed at Thirdwire. And I do feel better after stating what I've been thinking for months (as well as a night's sleep... :P ) I will continue to support this game, as well as play it. But I probably won't be doing much flying until a more stable, enjoyable and working game has been released.

What I find totally amazing is that some have a ton of problems and some have none. I haven't had a CTD since installing the patch. I have had no MP problems. Has the thought occured to some that your computer may have a problem?

Guest Ranger332

yes I read your posting and as stated I have np in single player at all

http://forum.biohazcentral.com/viewtopic.php?t=844

(see latest work on Mission Pak 2)

the only probs I may have are in multi play and thats 40-60 I offered that for your comparsion as you stated"I am experiencing CTDs and more frequently total system crashes in SINGLE PLAYER and MP. (Now this is the patched version - had the same with box). I have clean installed this game 10-15 times, run registry cleaners, etc. It runs BEAUTIFULLY for 10 minutes then without any reason my monitor just sais: 'signal lost' and the system reboots."

Its happening to you not all others so its a corrupted file /a program or something but not everyone is having probs in single play your among the first it seems.

After raeding your intial post MJ, I have to say I cant blame you. This game has been a frustration. Your point about us being beta testers is right on. I dont like it either. I buy games to enjoy. And while this one has so much potential, it hasnt been realized yet. So many key parts of the game are missing too like an editor, FF, and direct connect.

Yet I have looked forward to this era's coverage for a long time. TK's efforts to get this first patch out and the community efforts at improving it are encouraging. as long as I see work continuing by TK to fix this game and get it were it should be in relation to other sims, Ill continue to support it and play it. Yes despite some problems, I still get a bang out of it. If they stop efforts before I feel its done, Ill never buy another SF or TK product again, period.

I think what makes this game bearable right now is this great community. Guys like Ranger, you, Dagger, DK, etc. just to name a few, keep things interesting. Dang! Im gettin all choked up again...time for another group hug...

:cry: :roll: :D

I would suggest to all running system file checker accessed through system info. make sure you have your OS cd handy. MOst of us gamers will need it. Gaming machines are the most abused and overworked comps there are, save for the ones at graphics companies. We expect our machines to do everything..from type a document to display graphics at a good fps. This is hella hard on the the comps. I ran mine the other night at a whim...it found five different files that were corrupt. all of them dll files.

DK

There hasn't been a REAL WORKING sim since Jane's F/A-18 IMHO.

Also I have found that if I have a black screen at launch, I reboot and it works fine.. but one black screen only leads to more unless you reboot. That may just be my system though. I have had very good success with coop missions in Strike Fighters using 195th_Vangs launcher utility. With 2 people it's very stable and a lot of fun, but I cant help thinking how it would be with 8? 10? In all reality, if this sim goes anywhere, its going to be at least 6 months before anything happens. All these addons that we look forward to, take time out of people's lives to make. Unless your unemployed, that means only maybe an hour or 2 every few nights a week.

The real question is, who is willing to wait and who isn't? And where the HELL are the carriers? Anyone can land on a fixed runway.

I might have to install USNF'97 if I wanna get any carrier action with 1960's era aircraft. Sad huh?

Sith, Im gettin black screens too. Didnt get them before patch except trying to join or host multiplay. Now Ive gotten several, once during a campaign, and a couple I think launching missions. I have also gotten 3 trying to join multiplay, just like prepatch times. Like you, I found that if I reboot, it seems to work ok.

DK, thanks for the headsup with the file checker, gonna do that now.

Its discouraging to have to reinstall a game to apply a patch. Now I got to reboot to play the game. Like I said MJ, I feel your pain, I getting the same one...I know where it hurts, its somewhere around my backside...