Sign in to follow this  
KJakker

Fall of the Berlin Wall - 25th Anniversary.

It is the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. I did not see a topic on this so I thought I would start one.

It is amazing to think that it has been 25 years since this happen. I was 7 years old at the time so I did not really understand the full impact of what it meant when to new was announced. However I do remember my grandfather, who fought as a US Army infantryman in France, Luxenberg, Belgium, Germany, and Austria during WWII, had privately worried that his children or grandchildren would to fight a World War 3 against the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact nations. When the Berlin Wall came down he was so relieved that he had lived long enough to see the end of the Cold War and his grand children would not have to fight in the kind of war that he had.  

Berlin Wall Anniversary - NBC

Berlin Wall: Thousands of balloons released to mark fall - BBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK1MwhEDjHg&list=UUNlZdfLyReLJnV_uvshA1SQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-9_uQx6IsQ&list=UUNlZdfLyReLJnV_uvshA1SQ

• Like 1

I was a junior in high school when it came down. I remember it well. I had only been dating Sheila a few months.

The news swept up the corridors the 10 at morning when I was in German class at high school. Excellent topic to start a conversation in German.

We were celebrating my 5th birthday, with one day in advance.
I remember very well having had a playset with toy cars, it was great. And suddenly, the grown ups were all watching T.V. and so on. So I watched, not really understanding, but knowing it was something big. 

Yup, I was in high school as well. My first thought was what Pink Floyd was going to do, then I remembered Waters had quit. :biggrin:

I was afloat aboard USS Belknap, 6th Fleet Flagship, a component of US Naval Forces Europe, a component of US European Command. 

Very, very happy to see that wall come down!!

I came home with a piece of the Berlin Wall that I was going to make into a suitable plaque.  when cleaning my desk one day, Janice saw this old rock sitting there and threw it out........!!!!   :cry:

• Like 1

The Janis Rock of ancient mythology. Just made that up, but it sounds right. Typh, you didn't show her the rock and tell her about it? Well at least it wasn't an Apollo moon rock. I bet that happened to somebody somewhere....got un-mooned.

Yea. Her father worked for NASA and made a similar claim about her mother.......