MigBuster

F-117 Mysterious Flights

F-117 Mysterious Flights. Is the Riddle Solved? Maybe or maybe not.

Last month we published some photographs, shot around Tonopah Test Range, that proved that one or more F-117 Nighthawk stealth jets are still flying 6 years after being officially retired by the U.S. Air Force.

The story created a lot of hype and many speculations regarding the reason behind the mysterious activity.

We mentioned several different explainations behind the flights (in plain daylight), ranging from tests of new radar systems, which would be capable of detecting stealthy aircraft, to modified UCAV versions, through tests of new weapons, up to a brave hypothesis of getting the Nighthawks modernized and operational again.

Apparently, the reason seems to be not so exciting. Defense News’s Aaron Mehta has obtained an official explanation from the U.S. Air Force.

According to the USAF, the jet is kept in a “Type 1000” storage, which means that the type is to be maintained until called into active service.

The aircraft are re-preserved in 4 year periods and due to the type of storage, they are to be capable of being brought back into operation within the period of 30-120 days.

This version of the story is confirmed by Dziennik Zbrojny, one of the leading Polish defense outlets which quotes a USAF spokesperson as well.

What is the reason for the flights then? Well, flights are a form of a routine check, which ensures that the F-117 is still airworthy.

The Nighthawk fleet has been retired back in 2008 and maintained inside the Tonopah Test Range Hangars.

Desert conditions of Nevada are beneficial for maintaining the stealth jets in pristine conditions (due to the low level of humidity and hence, lower probability of corrosion). Since, according to the source quoted by Defense News, maintaining the jets at AMARC, at Davis-Monthan AFB, would be less cost-effective (means of secure storage would have to be implemented), the Tonopah infrastructure has been used instead.

Reasonable.

However we can’t but notice that it is at least weird that a somehow obsolete fleet (the F-117 was the first stealth jet designed back in the 1970s and inducted into active service in 1983) is kept in operational status by flying a handful of planes every now and then. The Air Force is struggling to retire some active, possibly hard-to-replace aircraft (as the A-10 Thunderbolt) because they are not suitable to modern scenarios and to save money: why would they spend money to keep the aircrews proficient and the fascinating but old aircraft in flyable conditions? How would a few Black Jets be employed in a modern scenario considering their rather archaic weapons control system?

We don’t want to fuel conspiracy theories but, as suggested by our friends at lazygranch.com, after the retirement, the F-117 were sometimes spotted over the TTR during test flights which involved the MIT Gulfstream N105TB: if confirmed this joint activity might point towards something different than a routine airworthiness check sortie.

Ok, as said, the story of the storage 1000 is reasonable, but a few questions are yet to be answered.

http://theaviationist.com/2014/11/11/reason-behind-f-117-flights/

Captured aliens are being trained to fly them in times of need..

serious note....if you have a vintage car...it seizes up if you dont use it now and again...maybe thats what they are doing...keeping them 100% ready if needed.

Several possibilities come to mind

• Like 1

The gray skin would be awesome in SF2!!!

Maybe there is an other reason, which has to do with pilots. Perhaps the Pentagon wants to have a fistfull pilots which have enough flight hours to be allowed to fly this plane. It would be bad if you still have flightworthy planes, but no pilot who could operate them.

An other reason could be similar with the operation of MiG-23 in the soviet forces in Germany in the late 80th and early 90th. A lot of high ranking staff officers were pilots of the MiG-23. There was the rule, that a pilot must have some flight hours per year to keep his pilotwings. To give them the chance to fly without retraining them to a modern fighter type the soviets operated some MiG-23s, so that the staff officers could keep their pilotwings. Perhaps a similar thing is happen now in the USA.

I know T-38s are often used for this purpose, and in the case of the 117 specifically (there are shots of the all-black 38s around), to keep the pilots proficient without wearing out the birds themselves.

I'm sure it's a case of cycling them through to keep them airworthy until such time as the cost to do so outstrips its "insurance policy" value. As for flying with other planes, that also makes a lot of sense. If you have to fly this thing anyway to keep it working, and someone else needs to fly a mission with a plane for whatever reason, why not combine the two? Why does the airworthiness check ride have to be a boring circuit of the range? Instead of detailing a second plane like an F-16 or something, let the black jet do it. If it's a test involving RCS, it's 100x more logical than using a B-2 or F-22 or F-35.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Spinners

View File [Fictional] Lockheed Nighthawk GR.1
      Lockheed Nighthawk GR.1 for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2 
      This is a simple mod of the amazing F-117A by Dels to create a fictional Nighthawk GR.1 in service with the Royal Air Force in the 1989-2010 timeline. I made this for myself but I'm releasing it 'as is' following a request.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the NighthawkGR1 folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the NighthawkGR1 folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      As always, thanks to Third Wire for a great little game/sim.
      Big thanks to Dels for bringing us the F-117A and for generously uploading the templates.
      And, finally, thanks to everyone in the wider Third Wire community.
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 1 - March 8th, 2023

Submitter Spinners Submitted 03/08/2023 Category What If Hangar  
    • By Spinners
      Lockheed Nighthawk GR.1 for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2 
      This is a simple mod of the amazing F-117A by Dels to create a fictional Nighthawk GR.1 in service with the Royal Air Force in the 1989-2010 timeline. I made this for myself but I'm releasing it 'as is' following a request.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the NighthawkGR1 folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the NighthawkGR1 folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      As always, thanks to Third Wire for a great little game/sim.
      Big thanks to Dels for bringing us the F-117A and for generously uploading the templates.
      And, finally, thanks to everyone in the wider Third Wire community.
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 1 - March 8th, 2023

• By Dels

View File F-117A Photoshop templates
      These are the Photoshop templates for my F-117A.

Dels
      Submitter Dels Submitted 01/31/2023 Category Skin Templates  
    • By Dels
      These are the Photoshop templates for my F-117A.

Dels
    • By Viper63a

View File ODS Warbirds: F-117A NightHawk ODS30 Squadrons
      SF2 F-117A NightHawk ODS30 Squadrons
      -------------------------------------------------------------
      This pack contains the stand-alone version of the F-117A NightHawk aircrafts from "Operation Desert Storm: 30th Anniversary". This mod contains accurate ODS livery, nose art and serial numbers from ODS. This is just a sample of what you will find in the expansive "Operation Desert Storm: 30th Anniversary" pack. If you like what you see and want (much much) more! You can download "Operation Desert Storm: 30th Anniversary" here...
      https://combatace.com/files/file/17521-operation-desert-storm-30th-anniversary-edition/
      !! DO NOT INSTALL THIS MOD into the "Operation Desert Storm: 30th Anniversary" pack. That pack already has these aircrafts, customized for the ODS30 theater!
      * Sources:
      http://www.f-117a.com/DS.html
      https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/f-117.html
      * Included Jet: 
      F-117A NightHawk
      ---------------------
      Installation...
      ---------------------
      1) Copy the contents of the "To_Mod_Folder" folder into your mod folder and over-write if required.
      2) Update your "...\Flight\SOUNDLIST.INI" with the contents of the "Add F117 SoundList.txt". Please don't forget to maintain the number sequence in the sound list.
      3) Check, ensure (or update) all the squadrons in this pack is in your "SQUADRONLIST.INI" file. Once you look at that file, you will know what to do. 
      * Tweaked and Tested by the ODS30 team!
      * Mod Direction and Optimization - Menrva
      * Additional Data and Weapons improvements - Yakarov79.
      * Additional Sound tweaks and updates - Guuruu.
      * Accurate Skins and Decals - Viper63a
      Thanks and Enjoy!
      =Viper63a=
      ---------------------
      * Please see the "~Original Readme" folder for original credits and previous contributors. All credit goes to those who came before me. Without them, this pack would not be possible. 
      Credits: 
                    LOCKHEED F-117A NIGHTHAWK Ver 1.1
      http://combatace.com/files/file/14233-lockheed-f-117a-nighthawk-for-sf2/
                        By Dels
                        Dated 3rd September 2013
        MAY BE USED IAW COMBATACE FREEWARE LICENSING POLICY
        http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=26131
      DISCLAIMER
      ----------
      This is a third party add on of the F-117A using a model
      and cockpit created by me.
      The original flight model was made by Fubar512 but modified
      by me.
      It is designed for and works in the SF2 series of games.
      VERSION NOTES
      -------------
      This package is as close as I could get to representing the
      F-117A in service with the USAF at the time of Operation
      Desert Storm.
      There are some parts which I have compromised the detail
      on or removed all together in order to achieve an acceptable
      level of detail without reducing game performance or increasing
      development time.
      An example of this is the arrestor hook. The real F-117A has a door
      that jettisons when the hook is deployed. I have modelled the
      door to open and close so consequently, the hook is retractable.
      Animation Key #1 to open/close the refuel door.
      Animation Key #2 to extend/retract the COMM and NAV antennas.
      Animation Key #10 to open/close the canopy.
      Weapon bay doors are automatic on weapon release.
      Brake chute will only deploy while on the ground, below 100kts and
      with the airbrake extended.
      The ejection seat included in this package comes from ravenclaw's
      ACES II Ejection Seat for A-10 vers. 1.0 so all the credit goes
      to him.
      The original package is available for download from:
      http://combatace.com/files/file/12472-aces-ii-ejection-seat-for-a-10/
      INSTALLATION
      ------------
      Very simple, extract the files from the archive to your
      C:\Users\*NAME*\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 folder.
      Next,
      You will need to add the following to your Squadronlist.ini
      file which should be in your Flight AND Pilot Data folders.
      This is so the Unit Names show up. (*NOTE* This is not
      essential). Make sure the XXX is replaced with the next
      number in sequence in your file:
      [SquadronXXX]
      Name=415TFS
      DisplayName=415th TFS Nightstalkers
      Nation=USAF
      The 416th TFS should already be in your Squadronlist.ini, but
      if not, add the following:
      [SquadronXXX]
      Name=416TFS
      DisplayName=416th TFS Silver Knights
      Nation=USAF
      *NOTE* If you do not have a Squadronlist.ini file in your Flight 
      folder you will need to extract it from the MissionData001.CAT
      file in your Flight folder using the CatPack utility.
      That's it.
      You will need Diego's MODUSAF pilot skin for the pilot,
      or you can use whatever skin you like by editing the
      F-117A_Data.ini file.
      REMOVAL
      -------
      Reverse the above steps.
      CREDITS
      -------
      Aircraft, Cockpit, Skins, Decals and .ini work - Me
      FM - Fubar512 (with some modifications by me)
      ACESII Ejection seat - ravenclaw
      Pilot skin - Old Diego
      Testing - The ODS team
      THANKS
      ------
      A MASSIVE thanks to Crusader for all his very useful
      reference material and support without which this package
      could not exist!
      Thanks to all on the forum for their continuing and always
      useful support.
      Hope you enjoy it as much as I have had making it.
      Dels
      Submitter Viper63a Submitted 06/28/2021 Category Other  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..