Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

Gather 'Round Boys and Girls: Important Lesson Time

Gather 'round and let Viper tell you a true story.

I do my best to show respect to people. From the garbage man to janitor, from a stranger to someone I know. Most people like to take a dump on those young kids that work those minnimum wage jobs and wear those vests sporting their company's logo...or stupid hats and uniforms. I also treated those people really nice because I know what kind of crap they have to deal with.

Today I was hearing a bunch of shots getting fired. At first I wasn't sure if someone was going to war, defending their land, or what. I wasn't too sure where the shots were being fired but I knew someone was shooting at someone else or something. Called the non-emergency line to the local PD and reported that I heard seven shots I didn't know exactly where but knew it was close to my neighborhood. They sent some officers to do some poking around. Even the officers heard multiple shots being fired. Turns out there's a gun range near by and they were using some high caliber stuff that they normally didn't use which is why I could hear it.

Funny thing the officer that was telling me this looked very familiar. Turns out he used to be one those kids wearing some silly vest and working at a video store. He's now wearing a different uniform and has a nice pistol in his holster.

Moral of the story ... treat everyone nice because they could someday be the one pulling you out of a fire, or protecting your home from a burglar, or even saving your life in the ER.

• Like 7

A lesson to be learned for sure.

Never judge a book by its cover.

Edited by Muesli

"Mighty oaks from little acorns grow."   [in French slang, it takes a special flavour as gland, i.e. acorn, may stand for, say, kids wearing silly vests doing thankless jobs.]

I've been the kid in the goofy polo shirt so it goes without saying 

About 10 years ago working behind the desk in a shop with a few other guys we "were put in our place" by an obnoxious (insert expletive of your choice) - she didnt take to kindly to having it pointed out that behind the desk were two undergrad engineers, a med student and a chemist - like you say don't judge a book by its cover.

Craig

Edited by fallenphoenix1986

Or....

Only treat certain people nice if you have any inkling that they will one day get a "complex " and try to become cops or gain some other position of authority. :blink:

Cc6NTfg9YE5W.gif

Seriously though, you are correct, it is always best to treat everyone some decency or respect unless the situation deems other wise. Even if they are disrespectful, it is best to just leave it alone unless they get overtly aggressive or it s common occurrence as I believe that everyone is entitled to have a crappy day every now and then (so long as it does not pose any physical harm to anyone).

I have always told the younger crowd, those that will listen anyway, the best determination of character for a person that you are dating and/or romantically interested in is how they nice or respectful they treat people that they necessarily do not have a reason to.  If the person you are involved with is perpetually rude, dismissive, impatient, or haughty towards people like store clerks, waiters, homeless, elderly, children, etc. that is a strong indicator that you do not need to be with or near that person.

Learned this lesson that you speak of long time ago...a very good lesson to be learned. Glad you brought it up. Thanks.