Hauksbee

A Bleak and Lonely Post...

The paras said that jumping from the static balloon was a hundred times more scarey than jumping from an aeroplane.  

Exactly. As I said, with a moving aircraft you've got a relative wind that you can use to control yourself. With a static jump platform you would have to be more precise with your push-off and body position, otherwise you'll be flailing about trying not to end up upside down and inside out. Of course your father's students were most likely on static lines and the parachute pulled out too quickly to get too out of control, plus the line itself will provide some small mount of stability. I've jumped helicopters and their lower airspeeds (60-80 knots rather than 90-100 for fixed wing) and rotor downwash gives some people trouble, although I never had a problem with it.

Rather you than me!  I have stood at the front of an AW Argosy (the aircraft in my Avatar) and watched the RAF parachute team jumping out of the open clam doors at the back.  What a bunch of maniacs!  One walked on his hands to the door and then dropped off and many of them did somersaults on the way out.  They were all volunteers of course and from all trades. 

I was issued with a parachute once for a trip to Gibraltar in a Vickers Varsity (it took 2 days from Norfolk).  Luckily I didn't have to use it! 

My Dad's first jump was from a Balloon. He loved it