Sign in to follow this  
dsawan

80's flashback TV signoffs

The F-16 sign-off from '86. used to stay up that late when i was a kid and this would end it 

• Like 3

the one I remember, from the 60s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGj6deaINxM

It was shown on major networks in the 60s, and into the 1970s, on independent stations, as well.  By 1971-72, all the major networks had gone to 24-hour programming, only the independents still signed off around 0300 or so.

Not to change the subject, but my favorite verse of the Star Spangled Banner, is the seldom heard forth one (we were required to memorize and sing all four verses in elementary school during the 1960s and early 1970s).

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation.
Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land,
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

wow. back when TV turned off. We should have that ... instead of all the bullshit shows.

(this comming from someone who is 28)

wow. back when TV turned off. We should have that ... instead of all the bullshit shows.

(this comming from someone who is 28)

With the exception of The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson on NBC, most late night programming on the big three networks (ABC, NBS, and CBS) was either repeats of syndicated TV series, or older movies. 

CBS had the Late Show, and the Late-Late Show, starting at 11:30 PM and 1:30 AM, respectively. During the mid-late 1960s, they used to show mostly science fiction movies on Friday and Saturday night shows. By the mid-1970s, the major networks started expanding their programming to include series that competed directly with The Tonight Show, as well as shows such as "In Concert" (Friday nights on ABC), "Fridays", and of course, SNL on NBC.

If my memory serves me right, CBS was the last holdout, well into the early 1980s.

The independents in the NYC-metro area were WNEW, WWOR, and WPIX.  They basically signed off between 2-3 AM every evening, and resumed broadcasting at 6 AM.  That also changed during the 1980s, when they went to a 24-hour broadcast day.