Sign in to follow this  
Snailman

Blue side SAM & EW - How to?

Excuse me for the - probably - stupid question, but please help me with this issue...

I tried to use the Blue Side SAMs from the addon pack, but no matter what, the game does not deploy them...  I needed them for testing the ARM type missiles from RSSW, but there are no targets at all. I don't remember if this is a bug of some sort, or they work only on specific custom maps..  I tried some custom maps, too but no luck. Only Vulcans and gun trucks on the blue side(

thanks for your help!!

I have the same problem, but only in the IR (Iran/Iraq) terrain. I was told it was a Nations.ini issue but that did not fix the problem.

Other terrains have Blue side SAMS but in much smaller quantities than the Red side, even with Air Defense set to "HEAVY" for both sides. But at least they work in other terrains.

What terrain are you having the problem in?

Edited by warthog64

Basically all of them... Im just downloading SW USA to see if it will work. I wanted to see this map long ago, good for testing and looks awesome anyway))

Indeed a nice map - but though luck(

Edited by Snailman

Blue-side SAMs are working quite well.  I've just flown a test mission, and got myself clobbered by a German Hawk battery.

In my experience, stock terrains will only deploy short range, mobile blue side SAMS (like the crotale).  One needs a custom terrain like Wrench's Kamchatka, Rend's Germany, or Pfunk's Black Sea to see HAWKS and other long range, stationary sites.  You can always shoot your ARM missiles at blue-side ships in naval maps, too.  Thanks again for compiling the Red side air to air missile pack, it works like a charm        

In my experience, stock terrains will only deploy short range, mobile blue side SAMS (like the crotale).  One needs a custom terrain like Wrench's Kamchatka, Rend's Germany, or Pfunk's Black Sea to see HAWKS and other long range, stationary sites.  You can always shoot your ARM missiles at blue-side ships in naval maps, too.  Thanks again for compiling the Red side air to air missile pack, it works like a charm        

Well, of course you do.  Fixed SAM sites require placement of both the launchers and their related acquisition/tracking radars. Just look at a stock terrain, and you'll see that TK placed the red-side batteries in fixed locations. I have fixed SAM batteries that rotate between Hawk and Patriot launchers depending on the year, and fixed Nike batteries. 

Unfortunately, the placement method that must be used for the Nike batteries (if one is seeking historical accuracy) unveils a bug that places the Nike SAM radars in "stealth" mode.  You'll hear your wingmen call out a SAM launch, but you'll not know if it's tracking you, or one of the wingmen.

Well, of course you do.  Fixed SAM sites require placement of both the launchers and their related acquisition/tracking radars. Just look at a stock terrain, and you'll see that TK placed the red-side batteries in fixed locations. I have fixed SAM batteries that rotate between Hawk and Patriot launchers depending on the year, and fixed Nike batteries. 

OK, so if I understand right, Blue  SAM_RADAR  EW_RADAR   STATIC_SAM  types are only placed if built into the terrain ini ?? But which? They are separate target areas?

I see Mobile AAA and Static AAA are being placed.

I have just tried Rends Germany,  but apart from being a nice detailed map, I found no blue SAM class objects at all, anywhere.  Mobile_AAA classed   single Hawks were being placed, without radar and no EW at all.

Which of the terrains have such pre built sites?

Yea, I guess I have to use ships for targets...

my terrains that have blue side sam batteries:

Persian Gulf

Midwest USA

DBS (rebuild)

Iran/Iraq 2003

Eritrea

some others I'm certainly forgetting...

the unfortunate fact of the matter is, they MUST be built in to the terrains targets ini. the SF engine really doesn't recognize blue side AD units, excepting those as Static_AAA, Mobile_AAA (which includes the Chapparel units). The game was never designed for blue SAMs.

There are 2 ways to add them:

separate target areas

"built in" to other, main targets (like on the Persian Gulf terrain, for instance)

as others have discovered, and has been explained many times, even the 3W mission builder will NOT do the job even close to correctly

and like Fubar has mentioned, those units called out directly by name (ie: Firecan or Square Pair) will go invisible to the RWR. If left as a 'generic' name (SAM_Radar, EWR) in the targets ini, the game will generate batteries, but with whatever is available for the years flown. And sometimes they even have the correct SAM Launcher and/or radar.

This can be a major problem, when a known type is used at a certain location (like the SA-5 battery near Bandar Abbas -- I have a 'map' of ALL sam locations for the entire world. Well, ok, it's a kmz).

But we try to work within the limitations of the engine