Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

Iranian F-4s in Syria?

Iran's F-4 Phantoms have soldiered on through a decades-long embargo on spares and support equipment, with the jets being maintained by the Iranian industry and parts supplied through the black market. It's thought that just a few dozen Iranian F-4D/Es are actually flyable at any given time.

If these reports of Iranian F-4s supporting Iraqi forces are true, it would be an incredibly reckless move by the Iranians as the Obama Administration has stated time and time again that there is no formal military cooperation among the two usual foes when it comes to defeating ISIS in Iraq. But that's assuming we can take the Obama Administration's statements at face value. There have been rumblings that back-channel conversations about the ISIS issue have occurred during the recent Iranian nuclear negotiations.

With the US and its coalition partners dominating the airspace over Iraq, Iran's precious F-4s would be at risk of being shot down if they even inadvertently approached a US or coalition aircraft. Alternatively, if the these jets are operating freely over Iraq, and not just racing across the border unannounced and back, it would mean that some sort of agreement has been struck between the US.

Such an agreement would be unprecedented and would be inherently risky, as Iranian fighters using non-precision bombing methods and their own rules of engagement could result in massive collateral damage. Seeing as Iran is a Shiite-led country, large casualties among Iraq's Sunni population at the hands of Iranian pilots could deepen the ethnic divides that already plague Iraq and greatly complicate an already intricate situation.

EXPAND

I would bet that the truth lies somewhere in between full-on cooperation and flat-out no cooperation or formal communication, with basic deconfliction of coalition and Iranian air traffic through assigned airspace occurring at the very least. These reports also emerge as other accounts have stated that Iranian commandos are assisting the fledgling Iraqi Army and Shiite militias on the ground and that Iranian aircraft are indeed operating out of Iraqi airfields. So far there has been no substantiation to these claims, with today's image being the first from a decent source that shows direct Iranian involvement in the conflict.

This just reminds us that the old adage "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" is really the only guiding light in that troubled region. Still, common ground against even the bitterest of foes should not be wasted, and hopefully, if our militaries are corresponding and working together on some level, that mutual understanding could blossom into a much less volatile relationship down the road.

Regardless of the possibility of easing of tensions through military cooperation, if Iran is now truly in the anti-ISIS fighting mix with its air power, things just got a lot more complicated in the skies over Arabian Peninsula.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/breaking-iranian-f-4-phantoms-wade-into-the-anti-isis-1665411308

Good to see them in action against ISIS. It is known that Iranians themselves are producing spare parts for their planes and chopers of US origin, at least mechanical and simpler electronical spare  parts. Also, Iranians are flying Su-25s against ISIS from Iraq's airfields since late summer...

More posted

Al Jazeera footage aired a few days ago exposed an IRIAF F-4 Phantom performing an air strike on ISIS positions in Iraq.

The news of a cooperation between Washington and Tehran, later confirmed by the Pentagon, quickly spread across the world and images of the Iranian Phantoms in the colors of the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force have appeared on worldwide media outlets. But the Iranian contribution to the air war on ISIS includes other assets.

An insight into the IRIAF missions in Iraq was provided by Iranian defense expert Babak Taghvaee, a very well known author of several publications about the Iranian air forces and a regular contributor to some of the most read aviation magazines.

Taghvaee summed up the key features about the Iranian air raids in an email to The Aviationist.

– 18th to 20th November, several interdiction sorties were performed by the 2nd and 4th TFB’s F-5s in the Diyala province.

– Between Nov. 20t and Nov. 23 November, the RF-4Es of IRIAF and UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) of the IRGC-ASF (Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corp Aerospace Force) performed recce sorties over Jalula and Saadia.

– Between Nov. 23 and Nov. 30, the F-4Es of the 3rd TFB and 9th TFB performed CAS (Close Air Support) sorties for the Kurdish Peshmerga, Badr militia and Iraqi SpecOps.

– On Dec. 1 and 2, four Su-24MKs performed several combat air patrols and on-call CAS sorties deep inside Iraqi borders.

– On 29th and 30th November, the indigenous Sattar 4 LGBs and GBU-78/A Ghased TV guided bombs were used against the Daesh’s strongholds and heavy trucks successfully for first time in battle zone.

In conclusion, the Kurds and Iraqis retrieved the cities of Jalula and Saadia under fire support of IRIAF.

“The Americans had full coordination with Iranians during the combat sorties of IRIAF,” Taghvee highlighted.

Indeed, although it was theoretically possible for Iranian planes to fly inside Iraq without any coordination with other air forces operating in the same airspace, it would have been suicidal. For proper deconfliction of tactical assets, prior coordination and air space management and control are required.

There are several aircraft performing Airspace Control, Airborne Early Warning over Syria and Iraq: no plane could fly undetected in the area.

Anyway, we can’t but notice that, when called into action, the Iranian air force can conduct real combat missions in a low lethality scenario with a variety of (ageing) tactical planes and UAVs: facts that could fuel a much more credible propaganda than that made of some weird or totally fake claims we have commented in the past.

Image credit: Shahram Sharifi/Wiki

Sukhoi_Su-24MK_of_IRIAF_flighting_over_Shiraz.jpg

http://theaviationist.com/2014/12/04/iriaf-strikes-isis-in-iraq/

• Like 1

I saw a statement from the administration that we are conducting "uncoordinated deconfliction" with the Syrian AF, apparently with the Iranian AF as well.

(shakes head in utter disbelief)

I got this from Pat Lang's place, 3 December...

e'>Ashton Carter - Martin Dempsey and the WH crowd

:

:

- Kirby, the DoD press person, says that there is no "coordination" with Iranian forces in Iraq.  When pressed by Blitzer he says that the Iraqi government is "deconflicting"  air operations in their air space.  That is a form of "coordination." ....

:

:

Nice camos that brown-sand looks great on a Fencer, and I'm glad we can now finally differentiate the good guys from the bad guys in that area of the world.

My understanding is "coordination" would be "We're going to attack target A and time B, what time are you attacking target C at?"

Deconfliction is more "I see Iranian jets over target A, let's go to our secondary target B instead so we're not too close."

In other words, we're staying out of each other's way because the enemy of my enemy doesn't have to be my friend if I don't want it to be...and neither side wants to be.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Spinners

View File [Fictional] McDonnell Douglas F-4M USAFE
      McDonnell Douglas F-4M (USAF) Phantom for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2:Europe
      This is a simple mod of the stock F-4M_75 to give a fictional USAFE Phantom F-4M with markings for all three squadrons of the 48th Tactical Fighter Wing based at RAF Lakenheath during the mid 1970's.

BACKSTORY
      During late 1966 with the USA getting more and more embroiled in the Vietnam war it was decided to re-equip several USAFE units with the British licence-built F-4M so as to release older tactical aircraft such as the F-100D and F-105D for Vietnam where attrition was now a very serious issue. 
      McDonnell Douglas had already brought together a UK sub-contracting team consisting of BAC, Hawker Siddeley, Rolls-Royce (for the Spey turbofan engines) and Shorts with final assembly and flight testing being carried out at St. Louis but, with one eye on the European market, McDonnell Douglas moved final assembly to Brough (North Humberside) with flight testing at Holme on Spalding Moor. This decision came a bit late for the Royal Navy whose F-4K aircraft continued to be assembled and flight tested in the USA but all F-4M's were produced in the UK with all odd production numbers being allocated to the RAF and all even numbers to the USAFE with Lakenheath and Bitburg becoming the first USAFE wings to re-equip with the type.
      Entering service with the 48th Tactical Fighter Wing based at RAF Lakenheath in England in 1970 the F-4M's received a modest upgrade during 1973-1974 to emerge with the Marconi ARI18228 RWR mounted on the fintip and also gained 'slimer' formation-keeping strip lights. The USAF F-4M's had a relatively long career with USAFE and were eventually replaced by F-15E's during 1990 and just missed out on participation in Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-4M_74 folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-4M_74 folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      As always, thanks to Third Wire for a great little game/sim.
      And, finally, thanks to everyone in the wider Third Wire community.
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 2 - February 16th, 2024.
      Submitter Spinners Submitted 01/23/2010 Category What If Hangar  
    • By Spinners
      McDonnell Douglas F-4M (USAF) Phantom for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2:Europe
      This is a simple mod of the stock F-4M_75 to give a fictional USAFE Phantom F-4M with markings for all three squadrons of the 48th Tactical Fighter Wing based at RAF Lakenheath during the mid 1970's.

BACKSTORY
      During late 1966 with the USA getting more and more embroiled in the Vietnam war it was decided to re-equip several USAFE units with the British licence-built F-4M so as to release older tactical aircraft such as the F-100D and F-105D for Vietnam where attrition was now a very serious issue. 
      McDonnell Douglas had already brought together a UK sub-contracting team consisting of BAC, Hawker Siddeley, Rolls-Royce (for the Spey turbofan engines) and Shorts with final assembly and flight testing being carried out at St. Louis but, with one eye on the European market, McDonnell Douglas moved final assembly to Brough (North Humberside) with flight testing at Holme on Spalding Moor. This decision came a bit late for the Royal Navy whose F-4K aircraft continued to be assembled and flight tested in the USA but all F-4M's were produced in the UK with all odd production numbers being allocated to the RAF and all even numbers to the USAFE with Lakenheath and Bitburg becoming the first USAFE wings to re-equip with the type.
      Entering service with the 48th Tactical Fighter Wing based at RAF Lakenheath in England in 1970 the F-4M's received a modest upgrade during 1973-1974 to emerge with the Marconi ARI18228 RWR mounted on the fintip and also gained 'slimer' formation-keeping strip lights. The USAF F-4M's had a relatively long career with USAFE and were eventually replaced by F-15E's during 1990 and just missed out on participation in Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm.

INSTRUCTIONS
      1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-4M_74 folder into your Aircraft folder.
      2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-4M_74 folder into your Decals folder.
      That's it!

CREDITS
      As always, thanks to Third Wire for a great little game/sim.
      And, finally, thanks to everyone in the wider Third Wire community.
      Regards 
      Spinners
      Version 2 - February 16th, 2024.
    • By kosmo92
      Hi i have little problem with my F-4 Phantom Fleet in SF2 North Atlantic. Each one  F-4 have black cockpit only with working radar , other avionics is not working . How to fix it ?

• By GKABS

View File Su-35I Flanker-E IRIAF
      Hello and thank you for downloading my work.
      https://gkabs.net
      https://gulfknights.net
      What's included:
      Su-35I Flanker-E IRIAF
      All my files should include the Strike Fighters 2 Series game file (.LOD) and the texture required. (tested and work only for SF2)
      Installation:
      Copy files to their proper folder
      //Please add to Soundlist (If you don't have the WAV sound added) under Flight directory and change the XXX with the correct number
      [SoundList]
      SoundFileXXX=GSH301
      [GSH301]
      Priority=NORMAL
      Looped=TRUE
      NumBuffers=4
      3DSound=TRUE
      DopplerEffect=FALSE
      MaxDist=1000.000000
      MinDist=50.000000
      InsideConeAngle=360
      OutsideConeAngle=360
      ConeOutsideVolume=100
      If you need any further help, please read the Knowledge Base at:

https://combatace.com/forums/forum/268-thirdwire-strike-fighters-2-series-knowledge-base/
      Fixed nose gear as it was not animated correctly and made it not swivel from its center position to +/- 45 degrees left/right and remains locked
      Fixed Right and left main gears wobbling
      Added the AKU170 attachment point for the R77 missile.
      added CanopyNodeName=Canopy to fix Canopy ejecting. and added the sound file for the 30MM GSH301 gun
      Corrected Autolanding. 
      Corrected the main left landing gear roll correctly. 
      Corrected VTOL thrust vectoring control when you press ctrl+/-
      LICENSE:
      You are allowed to use this model and everything included with it for personal non-profit use for Strike fighters 1 and 2. For use outside of this scope, you need to contact me for permission.
      gkabs@gkabs.net
      Credit goes to the following:
      Third Wire for making this outstanding game.
      Model by g00r00
      I would like to thank Coupi and Compufat for working with alongside me on this project. Work from 3d modeling, texture, data file, and testing. I enjoyed working with each of you on this together.
      YEYEYE for the Cockpit
      I would like to thank Coupi and Compufat this is group work from 3d modeling, texture, data file, and testing it's too hard to say how to get credit for but I tell you that everyone had a hand in this project and without them all you wouldn't have it.
      Finally not to forget the wonderful site of https://combatace.com and all the nice members and their dedicated support for this game.
      Software used:
      3d Max 2009
      UVLayout v2 Pro
      Substance Painter
      Adobe Photoshop
      Mixamo

If you need any assistance please contact me at 
      gkabs@gkabs.net
      gulfknights.net
      Submitter GKABS Submitted 03/11/2023 Category Su-35  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..