eburger68

"Operation Desert Storm" for SF2 (Redux) - Part 1 of 3

Hello, I have the package installation of the ODS, it works perfectly, sounds, flying airplanes are very real and I extend my congratulations to all those who have participated in the same.

But I have to make a criticism, the simulator as such should behave like a simulator, this means that the simulator creates a situation that can be given or not.
In this MOD the story is told on the American side, and if I fly an American aircraft won without making the greatest effort, on the contrary case if I fly an Iraqi plane, I'm torn down without any possibility of flying, which means that the MOD ODS, is modified by 1,2,3 or seteado who tells the story,

Try placing aircraft from other countries and if they are not American planes, the game removes them, so it is not real, it's not a flight simulator is simply a corral where one can not leave the margins or eliminated.

For example, Case 1, if flight a F15 and visualize through the map, I have several miles to the target, and I can bear arms, turn on the radar etc,
In case 2, if flying a plane Soviet or Chinese, for example, that do not participate in the war, and visualize the same plane from the map, I do not have time to see where my squadron and where are the bandits (USA) in this special case, the plane is shot down.

Since the era of technology and the Internet everyone has access to information,

When this package is distributed should be clear that in this case tells part of the story, but in reality no longer a simulator

I have to admit, that I didn't understand everything you wrote.

Modding SF2, creating new stuff, campaigns and everything else you will find here is simply a hobby for most people, that like to spent their free time being creative and have fun. So if that campaign is not as well balanced as you would like it to be, you can always start modding it to your needs. See the current one as a story someone tells you in his own words. If you ask another person, maybe he tells you more on one thing, but less on another thing.

To make it short, feel free to mod everything to your needs...add planes and whatever. But be warned, not everything will work the way you would like, simply because several things are hardcoded and cannot be modded/changed.

Edited by Nyghtfall
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

And don't expect a Desert Storm mod to be balanced. The real war wasn't. You have to be quite an ace to survive a few day as a Iraqi.

• Like 1

And don't expect a Desert Storm mod to be balanced. The real war wasn't. You have to be quite an ace to survive a few day as a Iraqi.

And that's the fun of it

• Like 1

Excellent mod, but I'm having trouble with using any laser guided weapons in this mod. Once I use a laser guided weapon, I can't get back to normal radar, I've tried switching weapons, turning the radar on and off, switching to air to air weapons, no dice. Can't get ground radar or air radar to come back, stays on the laser screen. Am I missing something simple here? It only occurs in the ODS mod. Thanks for your help.

So, when I try start campaign, its crashes instead of showing the campaign screen.

Very grateful this project got done!  Clearly set the standard for all SF2 campaigns to follow!

Hello,

I saw something that looks like being an omission of a file in the ODS mod, having the effect that pilot ranks for French fliers aren't displayed, the debrief and roster screens only either show a three-digit-number (102 IIRC) or display "<unknown>" (without quotation marks).

The "NATIONS.INI" contains this in the part that I think is relevant:

[Nation009]
Name=France
DisplayName=French Armée de l'Air
Alignment=FRIENDLY
PilotNameList=NamesFrench.lst
RankList=RANKS_FR_AdA.LST
CallsignList=CallsignsUS.lst

This RANKS_FR_AdA.LST file is nowhere to be found in the ODS folder. An other "modern times" mod, where I can and did fly for the frenchies, "Operation Darius", simply refers to US ranks for them. Is there somewhere such a already compiled list for French ranks available for download?

(Mod used with a fully merged install including SF2NA, patch Jul. 2013)

Regards, Uhu

Edited by Uhu
Addendum
  • Like 1

@Uhu I have made a nations expansion for SF2. It fixes those issues, adds more medals to many services and fixes even stock SF2 bugs. Here's the link: https://combatace.com/files/file/16986-nations-medals-expansion/

However, be aware that this expansion is meant for generic mod folders. It does not contain specific ODS medals, so you will not be able to obtain those by using this mod. But you gain a lot more in other fixes and additions, so to speak. I suggest that you make a backup of the relevant folders and/or files. The fact that you use the latest SF2 patch is perfect, as my mod is built upon the latest nations.ini of SF2.

Edited by Menrva
  • Thanks 1

I followed all the instructions to install the mod to the letter, but whenever I try to run an Instant Action mission or campaign, the game loads to about 60%, then crashes. Any idea why this might be? All my other modded installs and stock stuff works perfectly fine, but all the ODS content just crashes.