Sign in to follow this  
hawker111

Highest Quality Cockpits for WOV and WOE

Hi,

The download section has a lot of additional aircraft to add to WOV/WOE.

In your opinion, what are the highest quality ones to download?

The cockpits that Third Wire makes are really nicely done. Are there really good third party cockpits that have been created?

Thanks,

Hawker111

I'd say Paladrian's MiG-21 series 'pits, as well as his MiG-29A pit, though the latter ships only with the Mirage Factory's MiG-29A.  There are pits for other Soviet aircraft, such as Armour Dave's Su-17, and there is an entire F-104G with 'pit from Thirdwire in our downloads section, for those who do not have SFP1. 

That last one requires a little slight-of-hand to install, as it's meant for SFG only: http://combatace.com/topic/57393-flyable-f-104s-for-sf2/   While the topic is meant for SF2, the method to extract the relevant cockpit files is the same for SF1.

There are newer pits available, but the problem there is that 99% of the modelers have moved on to the SF2 series, because of its superior avionics, graphics, etc.  Some of those pits might be compatible, but most aren't, as they use Unicode LOD files, which can only be read by either any SF2 title, or by WoI (Wings over Israel).

Edited by Fubar512

Yes and no, as they would still require .ini file editing in the avionics, textures, and possibly flight data ini files.  If you're planning on purchasing WoI, you would be wasting your money at this point, as the wise move is to go with an SF2-based title.

They run fine on XP, with the possible exception of SF2NA.  I was running SF2,2V,2E, and 2I on XP, until I switched to Windows 7 late in 2010.  What you'll lose in XP, are the DirectX 10 effects, aircraft and ground object bump & specular mapping.