Sign in to follow this  
Stephen1918

Lebed XII

The Lebed XII was a Russian, 2 seat recon plane. It was introduced in 1916; it served until the end of the war and into the Russian civil wars. It was probably the most highly produced Russian design of World War I. It had one machine gun and could carry a small bomb load. The model is complete. I'm still working on the skins and cockpit.

post-67404-0-24149900-1418487066.jpg

post-67404-0-96974900-1418487075.jpg

post-67404-0-33623300-1418487085.jpg

post-67404-0-83575600-1418487095.jpg

Edited by Stephen1918
  • Like 5

Nice job!  I wondered what you had been up to lately.

Thanks guys. I also have a new, more accurate version of Galicia started. I'm placing rivers and roads at the moment and it's going pretty slowly. The whole map shifted to the northeast to bring the 1916/1917 battle fields more into the center of the map.

• Like 1

I uploaded the Lebed 12 today. It has two skins - a green-grey paint and a wood & linenskin. The Lebed factory used a slightly different version of the Russian roundel insignia, I have included decals for that. I have also included Peter01's data for the Colt-Browning machine gun. Installation instructions and my skinning templates are included with the download.

My thanks to Ojcar for making the FM, and to Peter01 for the gun data.

post-67404-0-38728400-1420493938.jpg

post-67404-0-27966300-1420493975.jpg

post-67404-0-53196100-1420493993.jpg

post-67404-0-03504600-1420494009.jpg

post-67404-0-38728400-1420493938.jpg

post-67404-0-27966300-1420493975.jpg

post-67404-0-53196100-1420493993.jpg

post-67404-0-03504600-1420494009.jpg

Sincerely I thank the founder of so remarkable model of this disgusting plane!

I among many people, which in delight from your works!

As is known, in Russia in the winter the planes were put on a wooden ski. Whether there was at you an idea to create updating your remarkable planes for East front in ski variant? It would be healthy, as it seems!

Edited by Crowford

Yes, skis were used for mud as well as snow. In northern Russia, most of rivers run from south to north; in the spring, the snow starts melting upstream while the river mouth is still frozen, so the water backs up and the fields turn to mud for a month or so.

I have thought about putting skis on some of my planes. I don't know how that would affect the FM for the landing, and I can't  figure out how to make the skis stay parallel to the ground. I never made seasonal terrain tiles for the Galicia terrain anyway.

Edited by Stephen1918

I have seasonal tiles set up for Galicia. Don't remember who made them but I added some detail and more snow about 2 years ago. Since your float planes work on land there is no reason that skis wouldn't work either. Maybe keep the skis parallel with the aircrafts wings. If they stick up at the tips I think that would be ok. But they would be straight for landing.

You can make the skis sink down a little like you did on the float planes. They would look as if they are really in the snow. The back end of them anyway.

Edited by quack74

These seasonal tiles could be very useful if "someone" are making some campaigns......

Stephen1918, thank for the answer/ Yes, if it is good to think, you are completely right. To attach a ski to the aeroplans it is really possible. You have some models of sea planes on floats, and it almost same)) But then the changes in landscapes for snow winter will be necessary and for certain changes in FM of model are required. You make the remarkable aeroplans, for what all fans FE, not only I are grateful to you. There are many models of planes, which were applied on East front (as against Anasal and Моska MB) and were not realized in First Eagles. For example, Аnade, Farsal, Rоland D.II... And ski... the idea interesting, but also without them is possible to do without.

quack74, there is a set of a photo and drawings of various planes of Russian Imperial Airservice, and also period of Civil war, which are established on a ski. And seasonal tiles, certainly, is healthy. But if the given changes are connected to such complexities, let it will be better more than models of different planes, than it is less, but on the ski chassis.

I am working (slowly) on a new version of Galicia, it will have some custom tiles, so someone may need to make seasonal versions of those. I haven't checked, but I think original Galicia terrain will work with the stock seasonal tiles, or with Jan Tuma's seasonal tiles. I modified a few tiles, but it won't look bad to put the originals back in.

If "someone" is working on new campaigns for Galicia, that would be wonderful. PM me if you want maps of the new terrain.

I will make a ski version of one of my Russian planes and upload it so you can see how you like it.

I played with the skis all afternoon and I figured out how to use the shock animation to make the skis rotate while on the ground. It's not perfect, the skis dive underground while landing, but it looks pretty good on take off. I need to experiment more with the data parameters and the 3DS animation - I think this is going to work.

post-67404-0-56277200-1421537821.jpg

post-67404-0-11121300-1421537829.jpg

Stephen1918, IMHO, if not to pay of attention to a green grass ;) - very realistic updating of the plane with R-BVZ-type skis! The skis in flight and on ground should look so, as far as it is possible to judge on old photos. After the decision of problems with animation will be really cool. :good:

I played with the skis all afternoon and I figured out how to use the shock animation to make the skis rotate while on the ground. It's not perfect, the skis dive underground while landing, but it looks pretty good on take off. I need to experiment more with the data parameters and the 3DS animation - I think this is going to work.

Well done! 

That is great. You could modify a few of your Eastern Front models the same way. Would be very cool for winter flying and fighting.

Yes, but now we need the snow....

I'll start making some ski versions of the Russian planes. The Sikorsky will take a few days because I still have to unwrap the parts and make new skins, make the new LODs, and check the FM. I have other planes and projects in progress, so I will spread the ski plane revisions over time.

So, as Ojcar says, we're going to need snow...

Edited by Stephen1918

If someone could convert the rain (inclement weather option) into a falling snow... it should be great.

A little bit we shall distract from skis. Only small specification concerning roundel insignia.
More historical is wood and linenskin the version of colouring. Stephen1918 writes:
Lebed factory used a slightly different version of the Russian roundel insignia
Yes it so, but... Actually dark blue point at the centre of a circle is a firm badge of a Lebedev factory. On a badge was represented floating white swan and appropriate russian inscription. Such emblems were placed at the centre of tail national emblems, and also on fuselage (not always). On wings there were usual marks.
It not the claim to quality of model! And the specification to decals is simple which everyone can bring independently, at desire in.

• Like 1