Centurion-1

[W I P] Angola Terrain for the South African border war

Hello guys,

as you might have seen, Stratos, Coupi and me are working on a new Angolan terrain that depicts most of Angola and a good portion of then South-West Africa now Namibia too. The reason for this is that a good terrain for flying the SAAF birds has been long overdue. The terrain is 1000km x 1000km. Coupi had started an even larger terrain that depicted most of SW Africa but in order to try to keep this managable we decided to go a little bit smaller and use a default TW terrain size.

Angola_v1_ref.jpg

This terrain is being created from scratch and we hope to have a reasonably good representation of the area when we are done. Ofcourse, the area is extremely diverse when it comes to natural features, but we will do our best with what we got. A special thanks goes to Gerwins new TFD tool that has enabled rapid and accurate targetization of the terrain. Stratos has added over 200 cities, airfields and target areas already. 

Angola_v1_PlanningMap2_000.jpg

In the mean time I have been busy trying to recreate the diverse nature in the tileset, it's early days still but things are looking if not perfect then at least satisfactory! The tiles are all built from satmaps from this actual area. There will probably be closer to or over 10 different terrain types when we are done.

img00227.JPG

Marshy wetlands found in particular in NE Namibia. The tiles are build using satelite images from this area.

img00228.JPG

Savannah with some african trees visible. Will be even more diverse when done.

img00238.JPG

Semi-arid bushterrain (sans bushes) and rocky cliffs.

But we need your help guys, we are too small a team to make everything needed. Stratos did a good review of what we got for a bush war campaign and what we still are lack :

About what we're missing, better start in what we have, I can only found the Ratel, is for SF1 and it needs a new skin for sure, but at least is a start I think:

http://combatace.com/files/file/13836-ratel-armoured-carrier/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratel_IFV

ratel20231xm_zpsb49743ba.jpg

We're missing for SADF the following:

Buffel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffel

Buffelpersoneeldraer_zps68c57e3a.jpg

Casspir:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casspir

74d265c4804f27a744ebb78eee351cbc_zps928d

And of course the troops for the SADF, and the Angolans. We will need both white skinned and black skinned troops for SADF and Blacks for the Angolans and Cubans.

The Alouette III will need a new skin, but at least we have the 3d model:

AlouetteIII_zpsaa9f32b7.jpg

But we need a full new 3d model for the Puma, as it was very important for SAAF during the war.

puma_127_gvs1_zps51a438da.jpg

The C-47 and the Hercules also saw heavy duty deploying paratroopers and moving things around:

4aae52aab740a_large_zps412e0ee3.jpg

61_1_zps0e27edea.jpg

And of course, single and twin seater Impalas:

M827_zpsd21d58e5.jpg

77680_zpsb7089a7c.jpg

BTW, the single seater used AS.11 missiles, and the Mirage F.1 used the AS.30. More fun to deploy over Africa.

Especially the ground units and Impala Mk1 / 2 would be quite high priority if you ask me.

In addition to this, we of course need good Angolan skins for the red birds they flew. The MiG-17 and 21 in particular, while the new MiG-23 is being worked on.

So that is what's cooking, so to speak. We are very eager to finish this, but there is a lot to do so any help would be welcome, whether research, ground units or objects, tileset help or whatever else you can do.

• Like 10

Hoooly Cow... )))) This is definitely something!!!!!   And a good playground for the Cuban Floggers))) 

Nice, does anyone know Marcfighters? Martin? Knowing his models those look ready to go with minimal rework. BTW Carlo you wouldn't feel like doing some Angolan MiG-21 skins? You did such a nice job on the Iraqi ones :)

Yeah Snailman this is maybe THE arena for the MiG-23!

Floggers.... i think we need to work harder on them Mats and Martin, Zoltan has already good missiles to use :D

BTW Carlo you wouldn't feel like doing some Angolan MiG-21 skins? You did such a nice job on the Iraqi ones :)

No. Got no time Mats. Sorry

Great

Tell me if I can help with my very limited capacities, for instance by "populating" targets

Edited by jeanba

Jeanba much appreciated, once Stratos has gotten the targeting down I am sure he will appreciate help with that.

Carlo: Ok no problems, can I use the templates you sent me to create some FAPA-DAA MiG-21 skins?

In other news the work continues, I made a buttload of transition textures and we are continuing to diversify the terrain.

img00245.JPG

img00248.JPG

img00262.JPG

• Like 5

Mats, in due time, i can ask you to speed up the MiG-23ML's to make the skins, and i had a semi started template for the MiG-21MF, with some time and patience i can make that skin to relieve weight and you can concentrate on other tasks :D just thinking out loud... 

Mats, in due time, i can ask you to speed up the MiG-23ML's to make the skins, and i had a semi started template for the MiG-21MF, with some time and patience i can make that skin to relieve weight and you can concentrate on other tasks :D just thinking out loud... 

The MiG-23 remap and landing gears is right next on my list after I can the SAAF Mirages checked off my list.

FRPignon: Ludo already made a Mirage IIICZ mod, but it has some problems probably caused by data.ini and LOD changes by 3W so that could certainly get a bit of touching up if you want to

If I remeber well, the IIICZ is already available as DLC ?

FRPignon: Ludo already made a Mirage IIICZ mod, but it has some problems probably caused by data.ini and LOD changes by 3W so that could certainly get a bit of touching up if you want to

I've solved all the problems good.gif.pagespeed.ce.PoYRIVsMjL.gif

15857370979_fccedcf4a3_b.jpg

15857656697_945d6ee095_b.jpg

If I remeber well, the IIICZ is already available as DLC ?

Yes it is , but we don't need it at all.

• Like 4

Nice skins

They remind me the matchbox model in the middle 70's

• Like 1

By the way:

The model I've just shown you, it is the TK Mirage III you can find in SF2 Israel or Europe. And the skins are ludo's skins slightly modified by me. What I did was an important .ini tweak and revamped bump maps.

Edited by FRPignon

The MiG-23 remap and landing gears is right next on my list after I can the SAAF Mirages checked off my list.

What else needed for it? What variant? I did loadouts, weapons are all done ('least for the Flogger), I used a stock data.ini so far, I plan on using the stock FM because the one was in the addon pack is ... weird to me. Avionics and cockpit.... well. :dntknw:

I've solved all the problems good.gif.pagespeed.ce.PoYRIVsMjL.gif

15857370979_fccedcf4a3_b.jpg

Yes it is , but we don't need it at all.

Wow! That skin looks seriously good! Excellent work on the small details, very realistic final result. What about the camo skin? Ludo has pretty much nailed the SAAF camo colors in his latst F.1 skins, he can probably share the proper RBG values for the green and tan.

What else needed for it? What variant? I did loadouts, weapons are all done ('least for the Flogger), I used a stock data.ini so far, I plan on using the stock FM because the one was in the addon pack is ... weird to me. Avionics and cockpit.... well. :dntknw:

IIRC Martin has done a lot of modeling on the ML variant which will be the first to be reworked, but before we have everything sorted including cockpit, FM, avionics and template it will take a long time. Nevertheless, we have to start if we intend to finish  :biggrin: But the MiG-23 development discussion is not the one to be had here. The 3W ones will have to do in the mean time for scenarios. It's not like the MiG-17 or 21 models couldn't use a good renewal. 

If it can help, here's the RGB values :

Green : R : 48 ; G : 58 ; B :47 and Sand : R : 202 ; G : 150 ; B : 80.

If you think it can help too, I made templates for the 3W Mirage IIIC, they are available in the download section.

• Like 1

If it can help, here's the RGB values :

Green : R : 48 ; G : 58 ; B :47 and Sand : R : 202 ; G : 150 ; B : 80.

If you think it can help too, I made templates for the 3W Mirage IIIC, they are available in the download section.

Merci Ludo.

I take note about the colors. I'm using your templates. They are excellent.

By the way this is how the "camo" looks like, today:

15425768053_8ac981f2f9_b.jpg

This is Ludo's skin with a revamp and small tweaks.

16045412155_588aefd34b_b.jpg

And this is the Mirage IIIO mofied by DennisOliveira. Also revamped and with a tweaked skin mainly with new panel lines and other small details. What I'm going to do is repaint the skins with Ludo's colors and improve the avionics and the loadout.

This will give us a very good Mirage III E/CZ

• Like 3

IIRC Martin has done a lot of modeling on the ML variant which will be the first to be reworked, but before we have everything sorted including cockpit, FM, avionics and template it will take a long time. Nevertheless, we have to start if we intend to finish  :biggrin: But the MiG-23 development discussion is not the one to be had here. The 3W ones will have to do in the mean time for scenarios. It's not like the MiG-17 or 21 models couldn't use a good renewal. 

Well, In any case I can make a playable temporary solution out of the stock FM, RSSW loadout and Lindr's original models from Flogger pack. It could be an adequate substitute till the new one will be ready. Is that OK, or shall we stick to the stock Flogger objects?

In case of the MiG-17 and 21 the models Paolo were using (stock?) are quite all right. Modifications have to be done to the radars and new loadout, but the rest is OK, I can say. Not sure we have templates for those...  Enoc?

Merci Ludo.

I take note about the colors. I'm using your templates. They are excellent.

By the way this is how the "camo" looks like, today:

15425768053_8ac981f2f9_b.jpg

This is Ludo's skin with a revamp and small tweaks.

16045412155_588aefd34b_b.jpg

And this is the Mirage IIIO mofied by DennisOliveira. Also revamped and with a tweaked skin mainly with new panel lines and other small details. What I'm going to do is repaint the skins with Ludo's colors and improve the avionics and the loadout.

This will give us a very good Mirage III E/CZ

Didn´t know that SAAF ever used the IIIE version... They look very impressive!

They did, but no RPK (combined ft and rp) as far as I know, just bombs and rocket pods