Sign in to follow this  
dubyas1989ef

WOE crashing when exiting campaign missions on win 8.1

Hey I hope this is the right place for this but I recently got back into woe and installed it on my 8.1 laptop and everywhere I could find said I would be good after installing the 10/08 patch and that fixed the problem for single missions unless I'm kia which usually causes a crash but any time I finish a campaign mission the game crashes and exits to desktop,also when it crashes I have to change the compatibility settings allover again like it lost the settings, can anyone help? Also I have NATO fighters 1-4 installed which did not affect the problem at all it did the same thing before I installed nf.

The first generation SFP1, WoE, WoV, WoI are written for Windows XP. For more modern systems you should better use SF2 series.

I am having the same issues. I am sure there is a fix for it, i just have not found it yet.

First off, Make sure you have a clean install and patch up to 08 level AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A VERSION OF DIRECTX 9 installed on you system, win8.1 does not include it and some versions won't install, I believe the version i used was directx_Jun2010_redist.exe but if you google it you will find it and it will install without issue.

Then open your FLIGHTENGINE.INI (You may need to extract it) and edit the following sections...

[GraphicsSettings]
ZBufferDepth=24
MaxVertexCount=32768
MaxIndexCount=65536
MaxTextureCount=32768
MaxModelType=4096
MaxMeshPerScene=4096
MaxModelPerScene=8192
MaxLightPerScene=2048
AspectRatio=1.333333 <---- This number may be different depending if you have a widescreen monitor or not. Keep the value you currently have.
MinPixelSize=1.0

And i believe this is the section causing the problem...

[WorldSettings]
SectorWidth=20
SectorHeight=20
SectorMaxObject=4096
Border=80000.0
MinHeight=2.0
MaxHeight=35000.0

Also, I'm not sure if this helps but i am running as administrator and set for Windows XP service pack 3 compatibilty mode.

This should allow you to finish some campaign missions. Where i think the issue is, is when too many objects appear and overload the game. I have been playing around with the "SectorMaxObject=" section and i have gone from never being able to complete a campaign mission to only running into issues when there are alot of objects in the mission. I'm pretty sure when we figure out these settings we will have the game working again in windows 8.1. Alot of people will tell you to upgrade to the new version, but it has minor changes and as a bonus you get to pay for aircraft that were included in previous versions for free. This is just my opinion, but version 2 could have been handled as a patch but instead they released a slightly updated version, Locked away alot of the modding features and its being used to finace a company that is now turning its back on the PC market that made it profitable for Handheld Device software. I won't reward that and i have a ton of time invested in my WOE install and i'm not starting over for no more than the minor changes that SFP2 offers. Also, just to be clear i tried SFP1NA and i really just don't think it is that much better that WOE with mods.

Few around here still mess with V1 of the game, but if you make any progress please post it and i'll do the same, best of luck!

Edited by WarlordATF

Good read. Thanks!

This may help also...

http://combatace.com/topic/69652-series-1-in-windows-7-64-bit/

I played around with the values a little today and got 3 complete custom campaign missions, but then CTD.

My install has just about all the mod planes from the late 30s to 2020 with custom campaigns i wrote for areas like Solomon Islands,Battle of Britain,Korea,Cuba,WOE Germany, Vietnam and other terrains. Its a 45 gig install because i also have different aircraft folders so i can fly single missions and control what i encounter by just re-naming the aircraft folder,you  just need to make sure the folder includes all pilot files and you can swap plane folders at will.

Some WWII birds fly better than others in 08 levels, but its a blast to fly a F4U or P-40E and shoot down zeros! I play around with the flight models, but i can't say i have fixed all the WWII birds, spits still pitch up,A5Ms tumble out of the sky and i'm still not happy with the P-51.

Hopefully we can get WOE working better in Win8.1, i'm getting tired of FS9 and Cliffs of Dover, i want my sim back!

Todays test settings were...

[GraphicsSettings]
ZBufferDepth=24
MaxVertexCount=32768
MaxIndexCount=65536
MaxTextureCount=32768
MaxModelType=8192
MaxMeshPerScene=8192
MaxModelPerScene=8192
MaxLightPerScene=4096
AspectRatio=1.333333 <---- This number may be different depending if you have a widescreen monitor or not. Keep the value you currently have.
MinPixelSize=1.0

[WorldSettings]
SectorWidth=20
SectorHeight=20
SectorMaxObject=8192
Border=80000.0
MinHeight=2.0
MaxHeight=35000.0

Hope it will help.

Thanks for the replies everyone I've been visiting fa ily and they live where there is no cell phone or broadband service it felt like the dark ages, but that's why I couldn't reply sooner. I installed the game with nf1-4 on my Asus t100 before the trip and for the most part it worked great(which is awesome since I travel for work a lot and now I can fly in the passenger seat while my buddy drives) which is weird since it also has win 8.1 but I'll try what warlord and wrench posted and see if I can get it to stop misbehaving for good, every now and then it will still CTD. Thanks for the help!

forgot to mention, did you (re) install DX9??

Sometimes, for 7 and 8, you need to do so. May or may not help, but ??who knows??

my bad, yes i have dx11 installed, and im running as admin xp service pack 3 compatibility.  i have not had a problem tonight i reinstalled on my toshiba and it works there now it even keeps its compatibility settings now which it didnt do before, but im playing low intensity missions with fewer hostiles ill ramp it up and see how it works i havnt messed with any files yet but will try some of the above when it quits working.

This was an issue that was  first known back when Vista replaced XP.  If I remember correctly...  with Vista the fix was to run the install out of a user folder rather than a proper program files folder install. I did that for a while before i upgraded to SF2.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\apphelp.dll

Thıs ıs the module that induces the crash

Hey all, I got a new laptop and windows 10 installed and it is crashing. Can anyone help. Screen goes black after a mission on campaign but I can still hear music but screen is just black. Any help?