Geezer

New Industrial Objects

The map guys have asked for some better industrial objects - progress shots below.  I've finished the really big fabrication/assembly halls - intended for shipyards and large industrial areas such as the Ruhr.  Now, the selection of smaller factories and warehouses - shown in the foreground - is being expanded.  These are more appropriate for most locations, and the map guys say they can be placed more easily on existing maps.  There will also be a refinery and coal yard to cover WW1, WW2, and the Cold War.

The terrain tile is SF 1000m with 2048 art - the large size may now be realistic with Gerwin's addition of JPEG format to his TFD tool.  None of the industrial objects shown uses art larger than 512x512 - a few use 256x256.

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 7

Fantastic work - Looking good!

just a small correction, it was Gerwin that built the TFD tool

Thanks.  The FE map guys sorta/kinda started this effort, but then Wrench pointed out that most of the objects could also be used in WW2 and the Cold War.  The FE perspective also explains the interest in hi-res ground textures.  Current sizes are probably OK at 20,000+ feet, but biplane/early monoplane operations occurred much lower.  Many early WW2 bomb runs occurred at around 5,000 feet, to improve accuracy.  It remains to be seen if the game engine can handle hi-res ground tile art, even in JPEG format.  Maybe there is a trade-off in making slightly smaller maps to compensate for the larger ground tile art?  Dunno - we'll have to test some prototypes and find out.

just a small correction, it was Gerwin that built the TFD tool

Oops!  Thanks for that correction, and my apologies to Gerwin. :blackeye:

• Like 1

Quick and dirty concept layout shows the method to the madness.

• Like 5

Another concept layout.  I realize this may be overkill, but it does suggest what MIGHT be possible if we get lucky with JPEGs, fanatical map makers, etc.  The trucks are 1930s models, but could be WW1 or Cold War trucks.  All ground objects are 512 art or - in a few cases - 256 art.  The only large art is 1024 art applied to two FE-size 500m ground tiles.

Gentlemen, warm up your bomb sights!  Better still, drop down and strafe!  :biggrin:

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 1

Double-checked my numbers, and shot above was too optimistic.  Shots below show a 1024 JPEG applied to an FE 500m terrain tile.  Still, not too bad, and we might get lucky with JPEGs which could mean larger ground art without impacting frame rates too much.

Gotta say I really like the realistic "mature used and aged look" of these buildings and various ground objects also I find pimping out the landscape with mods like this to be a very addictive pastime.

Thanks.  The used and abused look results from the actual photographs I use to make the artwork.  Some evening, when I've had too much wine after dinner, I may have a little fun and make some more 1930s/40s airfield objects.  Its been said the Italians may have lost WW2 on the battlefield, but won on style points.  Every dashing fighter pilot wants to drive up to his aircraft in a cool sports car, so - someday - I might make a 1938 Alpha Romeo 8C-2900.

THAT is one sexy car!!!

Geezer

Now that's beautiful!!  Nice to see another lover of Alfas.

I'm afraid my taste (and bank balance) are more modest. A nice 1600 Junior Zagato will suit me fine, although my trusty 156 will do for a few years yet.

LloydNB

THAT is one sexy car!!!

Can't find drawings for the coupe, but did find some for the roadster.  Better, really - the pilot's white scarf can flutter in the wind.  :biggrin:

Geezer

Now that's beautiful!!  Nice to see another lover of Alfas.

I'm afraid my taste (and bank balance) are more modest. A nice 1600 Junior Zagato will suit me fine, although my trusty 156 will do for a few years yet.

LloydNB

Heh - I could never afford one either.  Style points!!!!

One thing about these photos.  I thought the only color used by Italian paint shops was RED!!!! :biggrin:

Edited by Geezer

You've got to have a fantasy car for when you win the lottery. There is a very nice 6C 2500 for sale with the coach work from an 8C.  I'm sure its no more than 600,000 euro.

post-2351-0-57809700-1419295333.jpg

post-2351-0-57809700-1419295333.jpg

Edited by LloydNB
  • Like 1

Civilian cars etc would be the best and go down a treat be to decorate and give the landscape a bit of life.

Civilian cars etc would be the best and go down a treat be to decorate and give the landscape a bit of life.

Not a bad idea.  Shot below shows two civilian cars and a bunch of civilian trucks - all were impressed into military service in North Africa.  Also got an unfinished Citroen TA laying around on my HD somewhere.  Could also make the car version of the FIAT Topolino pickup.

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 1

That is just the "bees Knees" Geezer and btw hope you are backing up all these amazing things also have a good one tomorrow!

Been scaling the objects up and down to get a reasonable looking fit with Google Earth shots of Monfalcone - across the bay from Trieste.  Tile size is 500m First Eagles tile. The small and medium sized structures look about right but will have to tinker with the large ones a bit more.  One reason I chose this port to experiment with is because it still has a coal yard, located at the right hand edge of shot.

Note the current Google stuff looks much cleaner than the early 1900s stuff I am making for the FE map makers.  Aluminum had just become available in industrial quantities by WW1, and was still expensive.  Consequently, most roofing was either ceramic tile or sheet iron, which rusted in climates with frequent rain.

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 3

This morning, finished the Citroen TA model and began converting trucks to their civilian equivalents.

• Like 1

Man that is so cool geezer had a mate who had a Citroen TA years ago use to handle really well for a 30's type car.I have also seen pictures of a coupe and roaster version too.

Been slowed down by a touch of the flu, but the modest selection of civilian vehicles is nearing completion.  Everything is shown actual size, but the released buildings will be scaled down to fit Third Wire's 63% game world convention.

• Like 2