Sign in to follow this  
Sundowner

Quick graphics card question...

Is a Nvidia  GTX750 Ti [2048 mb] a good step up from my ATI Radeon 6950 -2048 mb] ?

My main uses gaming wise are SF2 series and FSX.

Fubar has that card - says its good for SF2 - that's unlike the other 700 series being Maxwell architecture that needs less power.

GTX750 is a good card, if you can get a 770 I highly recommend it. 

Is a Nvidia  GTX750 Ti [2048 mb] a good step up from my ATI Radeon 6950 -2048 mb] ?

My main uses gaming wise are SF2 series and FSX.

It's a great card but I seriously doubt you will profit from it since you are already coming from ATI 6950, in terms of raw performance...

It's a great card but I seriously doubt you will profit from it since you are already coming from ATI 6950, in terms of raw performance...

That's what I'm trying to find out really, I know SF2 has a vsync issue with ATI cards since the last patch & FSX is something that folk always say runs better on Nvidia based cards.....just wondering what, if any gains I'd get for the money.....budget is REALLY tight.

Well buddy the vsync issue is here on my nvidia too, if by that you mean very erratic fps jumps, in my case it constantly dances 32-60 but I have 660GTX, as for other compatibility issues I really don't know.

Nvidia 700 series is incredibly power efficient, cool and quiet but 750Ti in raw performance terms is a bit limited they are entirely different class, 6950 when it was new was top end, 750Ti barely notches over entry level, it's just that it's a lot newer than the 6950 so it can perform as good as the now 4-year old 6950.

It all comes down to what you are aiming for in total terms 750Ti is an upgrade because it's cooler, quieter does not need a lot of power etc. but you will get little to none performance improvement and in some cases you may even end up with lower performance, especially if you don't play newer games much as you will not profit from new features in the 750Ti.

If you can strech out for GTX760 that would be a budget sweet spot, or even wait a bit until vendors push out 960... 

My recommendation is that you hold out for a GTX 970.  It features a Maxwell core, so it's much more energy efficient than a '770, and has fps performance superior to that of a 780.

• Like 1

Actually Ed is right Ant....those card would be great. 

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll hold off until I have a bit more cash or prices drop....no point changing just for the sake of it.

• Like 2

A Little question about the GTX 970 video card if my PC is upgraded with a 550W power supply could it handle it  ?

As long as it's a quality one it most definitely will...

Thanks for your reply now I must grab the money to get it :biggrin:

A Little question about the GTX 970 video card if my PC is upgraded with a 550W power supply could it handle it  ?

As long as you don't have a high-end AMD CPU, or a 6-core (Extreme series) Intel CPU, as they often require more wattage than many video cards!

If the MB supports it, it can also be satisfactory to place two cards in SLI/Crossfire!
My PC now is ageing a little bit, but the twin GTX680/4GB give it a lot of oomph!
Playing with watercooling and overclocking can do some extra, too!

;)

That's nice, but keep in mind that SF2 does not support Crossfire or NVidia SLI.

I just got a GTX970 G1, really good performance out of it (replacing twin 560Ti's in SLI).  I'm running on a 750W supply, most builds I've seen utilize at least 650W.

That's nice, but keep in mind that SF2 does not support Crossfire or NVidia SLI.

I know, but....

• Like 1