Sign in to follow this  
hrc

WW2 fighters turn rate

What was the optimum air speed or engine power for a WW2 fighter to make the tightest horizontal turn? I know it's not the most precise question due to many WW2 fighters, but I quess there was a general air speed and power setting to make best turns...

Edited by hrc

Which fighter? And, the tightest turn is almost always at a speed well-below what we consider optimal corner-speed.

Which fighter?

P-39 Airacobra

Assuming a clean configuration with half-fuel, below 10,000 feet (3048 meters), it would most likely range from a high at 250-280mph/400-450 kph at about 4.5-5.5 Gs, down to a low of about half that speed (approximately 140-150 mph/225-241 kph at 2.5-3 Gs). This is, of course, assuming one wishes to fly in a sustained 360-degree turn. The radius of the turn would range from just under 600 feet/200 meters at low speed, to almost 1100 feet/335 meters at high speed

Thanks for your quick answers, I assume the turn is made with extend flaps?

I would think clean. the performance curves I've seen mention nothing about flaps, excepting in landing and take off specs.

don't know how relevant this may be, but THIS site, has some fantastic data

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/

Thanks for your quick answers, I assume the turn is made with extend flaps?

Most assumptions are clean unless the aircraft has flaps/slats for the specific purpose of maneuvering (most modern fighters).  The reason was given in the link provided by manukar...but basically, flaps provide extra lift but at the expense of a lot of increased drag.  It may work for a emergency 'snap' maneuver, but you will kill a lot of energy doing it.  It is not something you would plan a sustained turn on, again, unless the flaps/slats were designed to be used in this way.

FC

Thanks for your answers and links. Some interesting reading and technical data...