Sign in to follow this  
Bladerunner

Pacific Fighters US aircraft performance.

I installed PF stand alone a couple weeks ago and have been learning the game in Quick Mission Builder. I have a couple questions. My favorite aircraft is the F4U Corsair (all versions). I don't understand why its performance, specifically airspeed is so bloody slow. Flat out in level flight, I rarely reach 300 kts. The only time I get that baby hauling the mail is in a near straight down dive. I know the actual aircraft was capable of over 400 kts. In addition, once I reach altitudes above 6 or 7 thousand feet, it climbs like an anvil. Interesting that the AI corsairs outfly me in every situation, except maybe during landing. I haven't gotten into the Realistic settings yet, so maybe the performance with some of those features will improve.

In any case, is there anything I can do to improve this fighter's performance while playing in QMB? BTW, the same lack of performance is true for the P-51. I imagine that is so for others also.

Appreciate any suggestions.

It has been a long time since I played IL2/Pacific Fighters but as I recall the AI has perfect trim settings at all times, hence the difference in performance between player and AI controlled aircraft. However you will have to talk to someone more experienced with IL2 than me to find out how to fix it.

AI planes of your type shouldn't be faster than you. Note that the speed that is shown in your cockpit or screen is IAS (indicated air speed) as opposed to true air speed. IAS is alway lower than TUA, the higher you fly the greater the inaccuracy. I'm always flying with realistic settings on, and when propeler pitch, fuel mixture, and supercharger position are set accordingy I get speeds that are true to what performance data on paper says. I've never flown without Realistic settings on in IL-2, so I guess that could be your problem, but I'm not quite sure. Anyway, the depth of aerodynamic presentation, detailed flight characteristics are truly amazing in IL-2, and I am sure that no other sim has such a detailed and accurate flying, and I tried most of them. IL-2 doesn't cease to amaze me in that regard to this day, and am playing it since 2003.

In a certain version of IL-2,  4.09 or 4.10? It was a version of IL-2 after it's development has been passed to Daedalus.  Maybe more aircraft was affected, I don't know. I can't remember there has been issue with at least one plane, the Hellcat (both variants). Once I talked with people on sas1946 site about this - to be honest years ago and I did not play the game much since.

I did notice that - particularly - the Hellcat performs extremely badly, low on power and stalls very much.  I played japanese planes 99% of the time, so it wouldn't hurt me if it were a little problem... But They were like sitting ducks, with no challenge. I could literally fly circles around a F-3 Hellcat with a A6M2 and in an M5 it was just turkey shoot.

The other plane of such was the FW-190, which was not flyable for me. And the Mustang. No matter how I pulled the stick with these planes, I just could not turn without stalling. Basically uncontrollable. Messers, Japanese, all soviet planes were fine. I suppose it was a controls issue, but since the AI has similar issues with the Hellcat, I think these problems have something in common.

I don't know it this was corrected since, now patch 4.13 is under work, and current is 4.12.2...

The only F-4 Corsair that was capable close to 400kts but not over 400kts was the U-4 that saw little if at all service in the ww2. Earlier variants were in the 320-350kts range, however that was only at specific altitude...should be over 20000ft  when 2nd supercharger gear kicks in.

Also note those speeds are at specific conditions, radiator fully retracted, no external load AND, trim the plane because planes in il2 have to be in fully coordinated flight for full performance, no side-slip.

As for the FW190 and Mustang and P-47 and the Tempest, they were absolutely deadly in il2 but require certain tactics, no tail chasing in circles, no stall fighting, speed and altitude, situational awareness and exfil plans...absolutely deadly...in PTO in late war scenarios it was no contest online, Blue side(IJA/IJN) had no chance whatsoever to win the map...a bloody massacre lol

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot, in earlier versions of the game, before daedalos team versions, AI cheated by never overheating...

Edited by Brain32