Gepard

First Eagles WW2

I had always the feeling, that prop planes are not really good placed in WoX or SF2 world. This sims are more focused on jet fight. For prop planes, i think First Eagles is the better choice. The WW2 planes lods and skins were not the problems. There are a lot, which are looking very good, but with the FM it was different. Since we have "official" released FM of the P-51D, the Spifire and the S-99 in WoI Op Kadesh and SF2 world, it was possible to make more realistic FM for other fighters. I used the S-99 FM as basic for the Me-109E. The S-99 is a czech made Me-109G, so that only minor changes were neccessary. The similar way was to use TK's Spitfire 9 FM to model the Spitfire IA or IIA FM.

The planes are full operational in First Eagles. The only trick was to copy the controls settings of WoE to FE. So the gears can be moved in and out, the flaps can be set and so on. Then only some changes in the speech system, messagesystem etc and FE has the communication comfort of WoE.

Here some screenshots.

post-3395-0-98140000-1419366777_thumb.jpg

post-3395-0-81707100-1419366796_thumb.jpg

post-3395-0-15103300-1419366806_thumb.jpg

post-3395-0-25428500-1419366817_thumb.jpg

post-3395-0-43152400-1419367854_thumb.jpg

This is all on TKs stock Verdun terrain.

I dont know, wheter such mods are also possible with FE2, but with FE there are no problems.

post-3395-0-98140000-1419366777_thumb.jpg

post-3395-0-81707100-1419366796_thumb.jpg

post-3395-0-15103300-1419366806_thumb.jpg

post-3395-0-25428500-1419366817_thumb.jpg

post-3395-0-43152400-1419367854_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 1

This is very simllar to what Geezer has been working on, too.

There should be no (major) differences from FE to FE2, with respect to inis and such (unless there's an ANSI vs Unicode thing -- but that's easly fixed with a "save as...").

We know SF/Wo* terrains work (for instance, my conversion of your old Isreal terrain to ww2 Palestine, to (iirc) Quack's conversion of it to ww1 Palestine. The 08 desert terrain works just fine, as that's was needed for the FE conversion as the reference terrain cat.

I know the FE2 terrains use the same shader effects as SF2.

I do suspect certain thing will be lost. My primary question would be, are late-model (max 2009 and above) Unicode lods able to be read by by FE2?? If not, THAT is a major issue.

As to the Spit FMs, where do you think I got them for the TMF Spit 1 and Cocas' Spit Vs???!! :biggrin:

Nice to see Russ' Emil in FE!! Considering how old the model, it still looks good!!

EDIT:

just check the FE2 lods, and yes, they are in Unicode. So, "late production" add on lods should be ok

Very interesting.  I've been drifting towards WW2 because of my interest in the last generation of biplanes, used in the conflicts of 1938-1940.  Because they shared the skies with monoplanes, I've begun work on a few early WW2 aircraft - maybe I should think about making a few more?

• Like 1

For me is FE the better basic game for a WW2 sim, because we have a much better terrain solution from stock. A tile is 500x500 meters wide, while SF works with 2000x2000 meters. So a much more different looking world can be created.

I have seen Geezers work and i think it looks awesome. But he use the way completly in the different direction. He moves from FE to SF. For me FE is the better prop plane sim. Its only a feeling. Lets see.

For me is FE the better basic game for a WW2 sim, because we have a much better terrain solution from stock. A tile is 500x500 meters wide, while SF works with 2000x2000 meters. So a much more different looking world can be created.

I have seen Geezers work and i think it looks awesome. But he use the way completly in the different direction. He moves from FE to SF. For me FE is the better prop plane sim. Its only a feeling. Lets see.

Actually, I agree with you.  I also think FE is the better prop plane sim, for reasons you have described above. 

My forte is models and textures, but I still have much to learn about FE/SF files.  I assumed that modeling early WW2 aircraft meant working in SF but your shots above show that is not necessary.  You have shown I can continue working in FE2 - thanks!

index.php?app=gallery&module=images&sect

• Like 1

Thought I would share some of my experiments with realistic camo with you guys.  Italian WW2 aircraft camo is an extremely complex subject, because each Italian paint manufacturer had their own idea of what "sand yellow", "camo green", etc should look like.  Generally, each Italian aircraft manufacturer used paint from a specific contractor, so the colors applied to FIATs varied from the colors applied to Savoia Marchettis, etc.  The matter was further complicated by units repainting aircraft in the field to better match local conditions - Italian aircraft in Russia used more green colors than aircraft operating in Africa, which used more brown colors.

Shot below shows an attempt to create a realistic appearance for the CR42.  Most FIAT aircraft had low contrast colors in B & W photos, when compared to B & W photos of aircraft from other manufacturers.  Color shot of CR42 below looks like dark maroon and light green were substituted for the "normal" camo brown and camo green applied at the factory.  If you look at the area around the pilot's headrest, you can see what looks like oxidized light green spots, and the brown is much darker than the colors usually seen on Regia Aeronautica aircraft.  Also note the base color of sand yellow applied to FIAT aircraft was generally darker than the same color applied by other manufacturers - references frequently describe FIAT sand yellow as a "dark brass" color. 

I plan on making two different sets of artwork for the CR42.  One set will have the blurred, fuzzy look shown in most photos and the other set will have a crisp, better defined look seen in other photos.  I'm working on the crisp-looking artwork now.

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 2

Shot below shows the rough start for the "standard" factory camo - different brown and green colors applied as fuzzy blobs.

• Like 3

Style points!!!  The field car is an Alfa Romeo Coloniale.  Version on left is for Storm Over The Sahara.  Other version is high-poly, made for grins and giggles.  :biggrin:

• Like 2

"The planes are full operational in First Eagles. The only trick was to copy the controls settings of WoE to FE. So the gears can be moved in and out, the flaps can be set and so on. Then only some changes in the speech system, message system etc and FE has the communication comfort of WoE."

From Gepard in another thread:

These are the entries of my modern days FE controls

[ControlSet001]
EXIT_FLIGHT=ESCAPE
QUIT_GAME=ALT+Q
PAUSE_FLIGHT=ALT+P
TIME_COMPRESSION=ALT+T
NORMAL_TIME=ALT+R
CHANGE_TIME=ALT+C
SKIP_TO_NEXT=ALT+N
RADIO_COMM=TAB
CHAT_ALL=GRAVE
CHAT_ENEMY=SHIFT+GRAVE
CHAT_FRIENDLY=CTRL+GRAVE
CHAT_TARGET=ALT+GRAVE
AUTO_PILOT=A
WING_LEVELER=SHIFT+A
NEXT_WAYPOINT=W
PREV_WAYPOINT=SHIFT+W
MAP=M
SCREEN_SHOT=PRINTSCREEN
DEBUG_TOGGLE=CTRL+H
GOTO_COCKPIT_FRONT_VIEW=F1
GOTO_COCKPIT_LEFT_VIEW=F2
GOTO_COCKPIT_RIGHT_VIEW=F3
GOTO_COCKPIT_UP_VIEW=SHIFT+F1
GOTO_VIEW_PADLOCK=F4
TOGGLE_COCKPIT=NUMPADPERIOD
SNAP_VIEW_FRONT=NUMPAD8
SNAP_VIEW_FRONT_RIGHT=NUMPAD9
SNAP_VIEW_RIGHT=NUMPAD6
SNAP_VIEW_REAR_RIGHT=NUMPAD3
SNAP_VIEW_REAR_LEFT=NUMPAD1
SNAP_VIEW_LEFT=NUMPAD4
SNAP_VIEW_FRONT_LEFT=NUMPAD7
SNAP_VIEW_UP=NUMPAD5
SNAP_VIEW_DOWN=NUMPAD0
GOTO_VIEW_SHOULDER=F5
GOTO_VIEW_OBJECT_NEXT=F6
GOTO_VIEW_OBJECT_PREV=SHIFT+F6
GOTO_VIEW_GROUND_OBJECT_NEXT=F7
GOTO_VIEW_GROUND_OBJECT_PREV=SHIFT+F7
GOTO_VIEW_TARGET=F8
GOTO_VIEW_PLAYER_TO_TARGET=SHIFT+F8
GOTO_VIEW_TARGET_TO_PLAYER=CTRL+F8
GOTO_VIEW_WEAPON=F9
GOTO_VIEW_PLAYER_TO_WEAPON=SHIFT+F9
GOTO_VIEW_WEAPON_TO_PLAYER=CTRL+F9
GOTO_VIEW_FLYBY=F10
GOTO_VIEW_FLYBY_PREV=SHIFT+F10
GOTO_VIEW_TOWER=F11
GOTO_VIEW_TOWER_PREV=SHIFT+F11
GOTO_VIEW_ACTION_CAM=F12
GOTO_FREE_VIEW=CTRL+F12
CAMERA_PITCH_UP=JOYSTICK01_POV01_UP
CAMERA_PITCH_DOWN=JOYSTICK01_POV01_DOWN
CAMERA_YAW_RIGHT=JOYSTICK01_POV01_RIGHT
CAMERA_YAW_LEFT=JOYSTICK01_POV01_LEFT
CAMERA_ZOOM_IN=MOUSE_BUTTON01
CAMERA_ZOOM_OUT=MOUSE_BUTTON02
CAMERA_PITCH_AXIS=MOUSE_Y-AXIS
CAMERA_YAW_AXIS=MOUSE_X-AXIS
CAMERA_ZOOM_CONTROL=
PITCH_UP=DOWNARROW
PITCH_DOWN=UPARROW
ROLL_RIGHT=RIGHTARROW
ROLL_LEFT=LEFTARROW
YAW_RIGHT=PERIOD
YAW_LEFT=COMMA
THROTTLE_UP=EQUALS
THROTTLE_DOWN=MINUS
THRUST_VECTOR_UP=CTRL+EQUALS
THRUST_VECTOR_DOWN=CTRL+MINUS
FLAPS_DOWN=F
FLAPS_UP=V
AIRBRAKES_TOGGLE=S
WHEELBRAKES_TOGGLE=B
LANDING_GEARS_TOGGLE=G
ARRESTER_HOOK_TOGGLE=H
CYCLE_NAV_LIGHT=CTRL+L
DRAG_CHUTE=CTRL+B
EJECT=ALT+B
PITCH_CONTROL=JOYSTICK01_Y-AXIS
YAW_CONTROL=
ROLL_CONTROL=JOYSTICK01_X-AXIS
THROTTLE_CONTROL=JOYSTICK01_U-AXIS
THRUST_VECTOR_CONTROL=
NEXT_AA_WEAPONS=JOYSTICK01_BUTTON03
PREV_AA_WEAPONS=SHIFT+BACKSPACE
NEXT_AG_WEAPONS=JOYSTICK01_BUTTON04
PREV_AG_WEAPONS=SHIFT+BACKSLASH
FIRE_PRIMARY_GUN=JOYSTICK01_BUTTON01
FIRE_SECONDARY_GUN=
FIRE_WEAPON=JOYSTICK01_BUTTON02
UNJAM_GUN=SHIFT+JOYSTICK01_BUTTON03
OPEN_BOMBBAY_DOOR=CTRL+O
DROP_TANKS=CTRL+D
JETTISON_STORES=CTRL+J
NEXT_RIPPLE_QUANTITY=RBRACKET
PREV_RIPPLE_QUANTITY=SHIFT+RBRACKET
NEXT_RIPPLE_INTERVAL=LBRACKET
PREV_RIPPLE_INTERVAL=SHIFT+LBRACKET
NEXT_HUD_MODE=APOSTROPHE
PREV_HUD_MODE=SHIFT+APOSTROPHE
NEXT_GUNGROUP=SEMICOLON
PREV_GUNGROUP=SHIFT+SEMICOLON
CHAFF=C
FLARE=X
ECM_TOGGLE=Z
TOGGLE_RADAR=CTRL+PGUP
NEXT_RADAR_MODE=PGUP
PREV_RADAR_MODE=SHIFT+PGUP
NEXT_RADAR_RANGE=PGDN
PREV_RADAR_RANGE=SHIFT+PGDN
SELECT_NEXT_RADAR_TARGET=HOME
SELECT_PREV_RADAR_TARGET=SHIFT+HOME
ACQUIRE_RADAR_TARGET=INSERT
ACQUIRE_VISUAL_TARGET_ON_RADAR=SHIFT+INSERT
REJECT_RADAR_TARGET=DELETE
SELECT_CLOSEST_CENTER=NUMPADSTAR
SELECT_TARGET=T
SELECT_PREV_TARGET=SHIFT+T
SELECT_CLOSEST_TARGET=CTRL+T
SELECT_FRIENDLY=Y
SELECT_PREV_FRIENDLY=SHIFT+Y
SELECT_CLOSEST_FRIENDLY=CTRL+Y
SELECT_GROUND=E
SELECT_PREV_GROUND=SHIFT+E
SELECT_CLOSEST_GROUND=CTRL+E
SELECT_LAST_RADIO=R
SELECT_LAST_RADIO_CALLER=SHIFT+R
SELECT_RADAR_TARGET=CTRL+R
SELECT_WAYPOINT=CTRL+W
DESELECT_TARGET=
ANIMATION_1=
ANIMATION_2=
ANIMATION_3=
ANIMATION_4=
ANIMATION_5=
ANIMATION_6=
ANIMATION_7=
ANIMATION_8=
ANIMATION_9=
ANIMATION_10=

[ControlSet002]
FIRE_PRIMARY_GUN=SPACE
FIRE_WEAPON=RETURN

[RangedControl001]
AxisControl=PITCH_CONTROL
MaxValue=1000.000000
MinValue=-1000.000000
DeadZone=10.000000
Saturation=100.000000
ReverseJoystick=TRUE
MouseScale=1.000000
UseMouseRate=FALSE
ReverseMouse=FALSE
LimitValue=TRUE
SelfCenterRate=2.000000
KeyControlRate=1.000000
AllowKeyControl=TRUE
IncreaseControl=PITCH_DOWN
DecreaseControl=PITCH_UP
CenterControl=

[RangedControl002]
AxisControl=YAW_CONTROL
MaxValue=1000.000000
MinValue=-1000.000000
DeadZone=10.000000
Saturation=100.000000
ReverseJoystick=FALSE
MouseScale=1.000000
UseMouseRate=FALSE
ReverseMouse=FALSE
LimitValue=TRUE
SelfCenterRate=2.000000
KeyControlRate=1.000000
AllowKeyControl=TRUE
IncreaseControl=YAW_RIGHT
DecreaseControl=YAW_LEFT
CenterControl=

[RangedControl003]
AxisControl=ROLL_CONTROL
MaxValue=1000.000000
MinValue=-1000.000000
DeadZone=10.000000
Saturation=100.000000
ReverseJoystick=FALSE
MouseScale=1.000000
UseMouseRate=FALSE
ReverseMouse=FALSE
LimitValue=TRUE
SelfCenterRate=2.000000
KeyControlRate=1.000000
AllowKeyControl=TRUE
IncreaseControl=ROLL_RIGHT
DecreaseControl=ROLL_LEFT
CenterControl=

[RangedControl004]
AxisControl=THROTTLE_CONTROL
MaxValue=1000.000000
MinValue=0.000000
DeadZone=10.000000
Saturation=100.000000
ReverseJoystick=TRUE
MouseScale=1.000000
UseMouseRate=FALSE
ReverseMouse=FALSE
LimitValue=TRUE
SelfCenterRate=0.000000
KeyControlRate=1.000000
AllowKeyControl=TRUE
IncreaseControl=THROTTLE_UP
DecreaseControl=THROTTLE_DOWN
CenterControl=

[RangedControl005]
AxisControl=CAMERA_PITCH_AXIS
MaxValue=1000.000000
MinValue=-1000.000000
DeadZone=10.000000
Saturation=100.000000
ReverseJoystick=FALSE
MouseScale=0.200000
UseMouseRate=TRUE
ReverseMouse=FALSE
LimitValue=FALSE
SelfCenterRate=50.000000
KeyControlRate=2.000000
AllowKeyControl=TRUE
IncreaseControl=CAMERA_PITCH_DOWN
DecreaseControl=CAMERA_PITCH_UP
CenterControl=

[RangedControl006]
AxisControl=CAMERA_YAW_AXIS
MaxValue=1000.000000
MinValue=-1000.000000
DeadZone=10.000000
Saturation=100.000000
ReverseJoystick=FALSE
MouseScale=0.250000
UseMouseRate=TRUE
ReverseMouse=FALSE
LimitValue=FALSE
SelfCenterRate=50.000000
KeyControlRate=2.500000
AllowKeyControl=TRUE
IncreaseControl=CAMERA_YAW_RIGHT
DecreaseControl=CAMERA_YAW_LEFT
CenterControl=

[RangedControl007]
AxisControl=CAMERA_ZOOM_CONTROL
MaxValue=1000.000000
MinValue=-1000.000000
DeadZone=0.000000
Saturation=100.000000
ReverseJoystick=FALSE
MouseScale=1.000000
UseMouseRate=FALSE
ReverseMouse=FALSE
LimitValue=FALSE
SelfCenterRate=100.000000
KeyControlRate=5.000000
AllowKeyControl=TRUE
IncreaseControl=CAMERA_ZOOM_IN
DecreaseControl=CAMERA_ZOOM_OUT
CenterControl=

[RangedControl008]
AxisControl=THRUST_VECTOR_CONTROL
MaxValue=1000.000000
MinValue=0.000000
DeadZone=10.000000
Saturation=100.000000
ReverseJoystick=TRUE
MouseScale=1.000000
UseMouseRate=FALSE
ReverseMouse=FALSE
LimitValue=TRUE
SelfCenterRate=0.000000
KeyControlRate=1.000000
AllowKeyControl=TRUE
IncreaseControl=THRUST_VECTOR_UP
DecreaseControl=THRUST_VECTOR_DOWN
CenterControl=

Also, shot of standard factory camo as B & W photo - compare to flying shot of CR42 higher up.

• Like 1

I'd go with the high poly, higher detailed car.  The game(s) can handle it!!!

------

Gepard, why don't you put together at list of what's needed, ini wise. What changes need to be made to what.

Once that's available, I can create an ETO FE2 mods folder for testing. Be simple enough; just use everything in my WW2 ETO SF2 folder (objects/sounds/etc) and copy/paste. Like for SF2 WW2, I"d probably leave a couple of the WW1 birds in; at least one flyable (each side) and at least one AI (each side). With luck, that'll keep the aircraft from rewriting.

But what about sea-going vessels? All our WW2 terrains have a lot of shipping routes. Anti-shipping missions are VERY important for the ETO (well, everywhere else as well).

But what about sea-going vessels? All our WW2 terrains have a lot of shipping routes. Anti-shipping missions are VERY important for the ETO (well, everywhere else as well).

Good point.  Looks like it is a matter of trade-offs?  If we want hi-res low altitude terrain and realistic prop plane handling, FE is superior.  OTOH, if we want BIG maps (for long range missions) and anti-shipping missions, then SF is superior.  If that is correct, then the choice of sim would be driven by context.  Do you want to fly long range missions, strafe/bomb ships, etc?  Or, do you want to fly short range missions over land?  Unless there is something I don't understand, we can't have both.

Speaking for myself, I don't care if we can't strafe/bomb ships - I'm strictly a land animal.  :biggrin:

Gepard, why don't you put together at list of what's needed, ini wise.

Here it comes:

First Eagles WW2.zip

I took all files i have modified in First Eagles and put in in this little package. (I hope that i have found all so far.) The only thing you must do is to extract this files in a First Eagles installation. I suggest, that you make a special install for WW2 amd call the new gamefolder "First Eagles WW2".

After unzip my files in you FE WW2 installation you must still copy the speechfiles from WoX in the speech folder of FE WW2.

The nations.ini which i use is a modified WoE file. I know, that it cause some anomalies in debriefing screen. This has still to be solved. Perhaps i must take an original FE nations ini and modify it. There is something to do.

Be aware, this mod is for First Eagles first generation. I have no FE2, thatswhy i cant tell you, wheter it will run with FE2.

First Eagles WW2.zip

I'd go with the high poly, higher detailed car.  The game(s) can handle it!!!

This brings up an interesting question about the complexity of ground objects.  Two shots below are of some hi-poly models I made when I was contemplating making a CryEngine mod. 

Visualize the amount of effort needed to make a map of ALL of North Africa and the western Mediterranean.  Total up the hours expended by the model makers, texture artists, map maker, file tweakers, etc and lets say it comes to 1,000 hours (or whatever).  Now, visualize a smaller map that covers JUST the 1940-43 campaign in Libya/Egypt - a new map only 1/4 the size of the first map.  There were only three small towns in that part of the world - Benghazi, Tobruk, and Mersa Matruh.  No cities, and only a sprinkling of small villages, where the only vegetation was located because those were the only locations with water.  Everywhere else on the map is EMPTY DESERT.  There is literally nothing there. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

Two things result from this concept.  The load on the game engine is MUCH reduced, and that 1,000 hours can be focused on maybe a dozen locations with commensurate upgrades in detail and quality.  Nearly all of the ground targets would be the ground defenses, guns, and vehicles - there is nothing else to attack!!  Would such a concept permit the use of more complex vehicles, roughly like those shown below?  Or would such complexity be wasted effort?

I took all files i have modified in First Eagles and put in in this little package. (I hope that i have found all so far.) The only thing you must do is to extract this files in a First Eagles installation. I suggest, that you make a special install for WW2 amd call the new gamefolder "First Eagles WW2".

After unzip my files in you FE WW2 installation you must still copy the speechfiles from WoX in the speech folder of FE WW2.

Got it - thanks.

Found two more trucks.  Some details - like the open tool boxes - are overkill, but most of the detail could be preserved if the vehicles were placed on an otherwise empty map?

Got it - thanks.

Does it work on your computer?

Edited by Gepard

Does it work on your computer?

Yes, it does!  Took me a while to find FE1, but once installed, your files dropped in with no problem.  Again, thanks.

Visualize the amount of effort needed to make a map of ALL of North Africa and the western Mediterranean. 

Been there, done that. Twice. 

In fact, the "Tunisia" map has been completely retiled, it just needs --yet again!!!-- the targets rebuilt. All the ports have the new "special" tiles. Started it over 2 years ago, and walked away from it.

What with most of the needed aircraft being "unavailable" at the time; a lot has been remedied, but pretty much all the Axis players either need new models (the Old Wolf Stuff), or they're still "unavailable" to most.

And the fact a competing "all inclusive" NA mod was released by the DAT ... one can get quite tired of coming in second place.

Good news, Wrench. An Africa Corps vs Desert Rats map with new models of planes, based on FE would be awesome.

I ask myself, wheter i should make a First Eagles version of my old BoB terrain? Could become a nice thing too.

By the way, has someone tested my files with FE2? Does it run under FE2?

Edited by Gepard

Good news, Wrench. An Africa Corps vs Desert Rats map with new models of planes, based on FE would be awesome.

I ask myself, wheter i should make a First Eagles version of my old BoB terrain? Could become a nice thing too.

By the way, has someone tested my files with FE2? Does it run under FE2?

My grand plan is to make a "phase 1" desert war mod for 1940.  Then - hopefully - make a "phase 2" mod (with 1941-42 aircraft and Afrika Korps ground objects).  We're talking a couple of years' work, but its something I have always wanted to do.  Many of the aircraft will be usable for other theaters and time periods - such as BoB, Italian East Africa, Greece, etc.

Gepard: Yes, I got your files to work in FE2, but it was late so I only tested landing gear and flaps.

Been there, done that. Twice. 

In fact, the "Tunisia" map has been completely retiled, it just needs --yet again!!!-- the targets rebuilt. All the ports have the new "special" tiles. Started it over 2 years ago, and walked away from it.

What with most of the needed aircraft being "unavailable" at the time; a lot has been remedied, but pretty much all the Axis players either need new models (the Old Wolf Stuff), or they're still "unavailable" to most.

And the fact a competing "all inclusive" NA mod was released by the DAT ... one can get quite tired of coming in second place.

It's going to be a while - probably next summer/fall - but I can help you with new ground objects and terrain tile art when you get around to making a new map.  Again, no hurry as I have LOTS of other stuff to do first.  I also have some 1943 US vehicles laying around somewhere - they were made for a Tunisian tank mod that never went anywhere.

Edited by Geezer

Shot below is of some DAK stuff for phase 2, plus a little US stuff for Tunisia.  Wrench just wrote that both SF2 and FE2 can handle higher poly ground objects, and I am experimenting with JPEG art instead of BMP art to reduce impact on frame rates.  So far, the differences in art quality are very subtle but a reduction from twelve MB (BMP) to only one MB (JPEG) is NOT subtle!

• Like 2

To expand on my earlier comments about JPEG art, shots below show development of the CR42 camo - I'm trying to capture the messy, soiled look of FIAT paint jobs.  The artwork skins, pasted to the surface of the 3D model, are JPEGs - not BMPs.  I can see subtle differences when I compare the JPEGs to the original Photoshop art, but the small differences don't amount to much.  Based on this small amount of research, I will probably start using JPEGs for all of my released artwork.  This will reduce the size of my art files by roughly 90%!!!

This means we could use SIGNIFICANTLY larger artwork for future aircraft, ground objects, and maps of North Africa, BoB, Verdun, whatever.  For twenty years, studies by business and the military have consistently shown the best way to improve immersion is to increase visual realism.  With larger artwork and better models, we could produce a new generation of SF/FE mods.

Edited by Geezer
  • Like 2

Speaking of skinning, I hope you´ll find time for paint all of your work in your lifetime. It´s a huge colection. BTW, TW should hire you to create a new SIMM. :blum:

Speaking of skinning, I hope you´ll find time for paint all of your work in your lifetime. It´s a huge colection. BTW, TW should hire you to create a new SIMM. :blum:

I'm starting to make good progress -  I've been gradually shifting my focus to the 1940 desert stuff.  Should finish a BIG collection of industrial objects pretty soon, and will then continue work on the CR42 while making more skins for desert war objects.

• Like 2

BTW, TW should hire you to create a new SIM. :blum:

Nope, schedules and budgets would spoil the fun.  Now that I'm retired, I can finally do what I want - make the digital equivalents of hand built Ferraris.  Shot below of morning's progress.  More variants of the Chevrolet WB, and a good start on the Bianchi Miles.

• Like 4

Made good progress on some Italian trucks and the CR42 Falco.

• Like 4