KJakker

Mission Start Position option issue.

I just noticed that in the "Options->Gameplay->Mission Start Position" drop down menu only gives me the options of "In the air, near target" and "On the ground, at home base". The third option "In the air, near home base" is not displayed.

Any ideas what could cause this or how to fix it?  

disappeared with one of the early SF2 patchs, iirc.

I think it should have never been removed. Was a dumb move. (you know how long it takes for the full squadron to take off, join up and climb to cruise altitude? Many a time, depending on the map, it's me an one or 2 other dudes facing a Horde Of Bad Guys ™, while the rest of them squadron is still halfway back to home base)

I wonder if it's now hard coded in one of the dlls, or can a 1stGen ini control that?

Good question. It might be menu-related, since by modifying menu screens .ini files you can add the lens-flare option on or off, which is present in the first generation of SF.

It is governed by the Options.INI file in the main Strike Fighters mod folder, by the lines:

[GameplayOptions]
MissionStart=1

SF2 only seems to use as options 0 or 1, previously SF1 had 0,1 and 2.

I haven't tried to see what happens if you alter the Options.INI in SF2 to read MissionStart=2, but it might work.

woh never knew there was the 3rd option!

i guess alternatives are the formation takeoff mod (downside is landing aircraft touchdown point is runway middle) or drag 'em waypoints on the mission briefing map (downside: more mouse clickies before t-off).

or reduce throttle after airborne for wingies rejoin like RL if one's in mood (rarely bother myself lol...)

Alt-N - "warp jump' to action waypoint

Thanks for the info. I remember having that option when I first started playing SF2 and was just reminded of it while playing FE2 and so I thought I had done something to break that option. I had no idea that TK had removed the option.