Sign in to follow this  
marlin

SA-2/S-75 in Tank Muesum

I have not been here for ages, but recently a tank muesum opened in my Town which I would like to share with the community here.  I've attached some photos sorry about the distortion is some of them I had the wrong lens on my camera on the day.

http://ausarmour.com/exhibits/

It was awesome to see a T-72 in the flesh so to speak.  I had a former client who was a Vietnam vet who was a gunner in a Centurion who served in the 1st Armoured Regiment I used to think he was pulling my leg when he talked about driving through jungle terrain.  Most of the time they used canister rounds which where comprised of 1cm edged steel cubes instead of shot to increase the canister spread.  I didn't appreciate how big these tanks where until seeing one in person, some of the stories he told me of near misses of RPGs made me realise the guts these men had.  Despite this he was a normal bloke who had time for anyone.

Anyway the highlight was seeing an SA-2 on truck carriage, I am unsure whether it would be lauched from this or it was purely a transporter, but the missile was huge, far larger then I had imagined, what I really found incrediable was that it was largely made from what looked like sheet metal.

Hope everyone enjoys the pics!!

post-1004-0-42649800-1419599127_thumb.jpg

post-1004-0-91359700-1419599174_thumb.jpg

post-1004-0-16186300-1419599317_thumb.jpg

post-1004-0-42649800-1419599127_thumb.jpg

post-1004-0-91359700-1419599174_thumb.jpg

post-1004-0-16186300-1419599317_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nice pics. That is only the transport/loading trailer for the SA-2, it is launched from a fixed rotating base not this one. Was that an Ural or Zil tug in front of it?

Not sure what the truck is I'm going back again as they have some more stuff coming, I will have a look when I am back.  I have some pics of other tanks I will post when I have time.