Sign in to follow this  
Nyghtfall

Gunsight + HUD possible?

Hi there,

I spent several hours now, trying to solve a problem, without luck. Maybe some avionics guy can push me in the right direction.

What I have: A plane (scooter, what else? :P) that by default has a standard gunsight, that is depressed for A/G and not, if in caged mode.

What I need: The same gunsight (look + depression for A/G) PLUS a simple HUD, that only shows laser designated targets (nothing more is needed here).

Atm I have the gunsight non-depressed all the time, but only visible, if guns are selected. Or the gunsight always on, yet still always non-depressed.

The laserdesignation-part works as intended. I took a look at several planes with HUD, but almost all of them have leadcomputing in A/A (which seems to have some kind of impact) and of course no gunsight.

I also found http://combatace.com/topic/80259-a-7d-gunsight/ that topic and this is the always on version.

So my question is: Is it even possible to achieve or do I want to much here and have to make a compromise (setting rocketboresight to a high value maybe) ?

I attached 2 pictures and the plane-mod. The skin is not included (still WIP), but thats the skin for the plane :)

post-89464-0-34116000-1419805044_thumb.jpg

post-89464-0-98393100-1419805051_thumb.jpg

A-4F_LST.zip

post-89464-0-34116000-1419805044_thumb.jpg

post-89464-0-98393100-1419805051_thumb.jpg

A-4F_LST.zip

• Like 1

I believe you should be able to have a non moving gunsight element and also have a separate sight component that will adjust from default depression when AG Rockets or Guns are selected the level of depression being in accordance with the entries "RocketDepression=" and "GunDepression=" under the [GunsightFront] section of the cockpit.ini file.

Taking a look at the F-8 and F-5 cockpit.ini files and testing them in flight might be helpful. 

you can have multiple gunsights (different tgas) that switch from AA to AG

[GunsightFront]
HasGunsight=TRUE
GunsightMilSize=50
GunsightName=USK-14_sight.tga
AGGunsightName=USK-14b_sight.tga
LeadComputing=TRUE
MinLeadRange=300
MaxLeadRange=1300
DefaultLeadRange=500
MaxDepression=0
DefaultDepression=0

the tgas just need to be in the /cockpit folder, inside the aircraft's folder

I remember, a long time ago, give the Scooter a FULL hud, and removing the sight glass and mounts. Wonder what I did with it...???

thanks for your replies!

I believe you should be able to have a non moving gunsight element and also have a separate sight component that will adjust from default depression when AG Rockets or Guns are selected the level of depression being in accordance with the entries "RocketDepression=" and "GunDepression=" under the [GunsightFront] section of the cockpit.ini file.

Taking a look at the F-8 and F-5 cockpit.ini files and testing them in flight might be helpful. 

I tried that, but have the problem, that the gunsight is shown only with guns selected. So even if RocketDepression works, I can see it, because theres no gunsight visible. After testing several things again, my impression is, that the problem lies withing the HUD part in avionics.ini. Following is a copy of my current one. With that, I have a A/A gunsight non-depressed, A/G gunsight depressed for guns and visible for rockets and guns. But the problem is, that I have to use CCIP for that. Which is to far out from what I need here.

The [HUD_Gunsight] shows permanent just a cross, that does not change at all and the [HUD_LaserTarget] is my laserdesignationmark over the target, that works well. So obviously the LCOS-entry is the key here. With that I come close to what I need, but it's a gun-only thing. Maybe there is something similar, but less limited?

[HUD]
HUDMaterial=HUDMaterial
HUDColor=1.0,0.47,0.0,0.7
BoresightOffset=0.0,0.0
ViewportTopLeft=-0.095,-0.080
ViewportBottomRight=0.100,0.160
RocketBoresightAngle=-8.0

[HUDMaterial]
EffectShaderName=fltHUD.fx
DepthBufferCheck=FALSE
DepthBufferWrite=FALSE
RenderedInOrder=FALSE
AlphaTestEnabled=TRUE
CullMode=NO_CULL
LightEnabled=FALSE
UseLightLevel=FALSE
SpecularEnabled=FALSE
EmissiveEnabled=FALSE
FogEnabled=FALSE
AmbientColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000
DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000
ZBufferOffset=0
PriorityLevel=1
BlendOp=BLEND_SRC_ALPHA
NumTextureStages=1
TextureStage[01].TextureName=
TextureStage[01].MipMap=FALSE
TextureStage[01].FilterEnabled=TRUE
TextureStage[01].StageColorOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE
TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE

[HUDFont]
TextFontName=Arial
TextSize=9
TextBold=TRUE

//[HUDModeNav]
//Symbol[01]=HUD_LCOS
//Symbol[02]=HUD_Gunsight

[HUDModeAA]
Symbol[01]=HUD_LCOS
Symbol[02]=HUD_Gunsight
Symbol[03]=HUD_LaserTarget

[HUDModeAG]
Symbol[01]=HUD_LCOS
Symbol[02]=HUD_Gunsight
Symbol[03]=HUD_LaserTarget
Symbol[04]=HUD_CCIP

[HUD_LCOS]
SymbolType=LCOS

[HUD_Gunsight]
SymbolType=IMAGE
ImageFilename=cockpit\A-4F_PermaSight.tga
ImageSize=0.025

[HUD_LaserTarget]
SymbolType=TD_LASER
ImageFilename=cockpit\A-4F_laser_target.tga
ImageSize=0.025

[HUD_CCIP]
SymbolType=CCIP
LaserRanging=TRUE
FallLineImage=cockpit\A-10A_FallLine.tga
ImageSize=0.100

you can have multiple gunsights (different tgas) that switch from AA to AG

[GunsightFront]
HasGunsight=TRUE
GunsightMilSize=50
GunsightName=USK-14_sight.tga
AGGunsightName=USK-14b_sight.tga
LeadComputing=TRUE
MinLeadRange=300
MaxLeadRange=1300
DefaultLeadRange=500
MaxDepression=0
DefaultDepression=0

the tgas just need to be in the /cockpit folder, inside the aircraft's folder

I remember, a long time ago, give the Scooter a FULL hud, and removing the sight glass and mounts. Wonder what I did with it...???

I tested that too. But you can only change the appearence of the gunsight in A/G or A/A. Maybe a solution could be to move the gunsight out of the center in the tga, but I guess that would be difficult to adjust.

I got some modern Scooters from dtmdragon with nice cockpits (Kfir, that in my opinion works very well) and HUDs, but they are far to modern here unfortunately :)

Problem solved, I modified the gunsight .tga. Positioned it depressed for A/G and added a new part for A/A. Since the real plane didn't have the standard gunsight and I don't know any pictures of the new gunsight, that compromise is ok for me. Time to finish it know.

Edited by Nyghtfall
  • Like 1