Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

F/A-18B Rudder surfaces stuck inward, how do you fix this?

How does one solve an issue where rudder control surfaces on the vertical stabilizers are stuck inward?  The F/A-18A doesn't have this problem so I have a reference to look in a section in an .ini somewhere and find out what's amiss.  All other control surfaces are fine. Thanks in advance for help with this.

Simple...copy the appropriate sections dealing with the rudder from the A model data.ini to the B model data.ini. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

FC

Simple...copy the appropriate sections dealing with the rudder from the A model data.ini to the B model data.ini. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

FC

I figured that but looking at the entries they seem to be exactly the same.  I don't believe these two birds are longer than each other so I'll give it a try.

FC

Just tried it and it didn't work.  Copying entries for the 'A' model had no effect on the 'B' model's rudder issue.

Look for any other differences in their respective data.ini files.

I use a program called WinMerge which automates this function.

Also, make sure their respective .OUT files are the same in case the part names were different. OUT files are text files, so WinMerge or any other text program will read them just fine.

FC

Look for any other differences in their respective data.ini files.

I use a program called WinMerge which automates this function.

Also, make sure their respective .OUT files are the same in case the part names were different. OUT files are text files, so WinMerge or any other text program will read them just fine.

FC

I copied the whole 'A' model data.ini file into the 'B' model.  The problem went away but the rear pilot went missing.  I tried everything to restore the rear pilot and seat but nothing worked.  So all in all the problem is located somewhere in the data.ini file.

This should fix the rudders for you.......

comment out the rudder toe in/toe out statements under both Left and RightVertTails thusly:

SystemName[005]=//LeftRudderToeOut

SystemName[006]=//LeftRudderToeIn

SystemName[005]=//RightRudderToeOut

SystemName[006]=//RightRudderToeIn

Cheers

Romflyer

I copied the whole 'A' model data.ini file into the 'B' model.  The problem went away but the rear pilot went missing.  I tried everything to restore the rear pilot and seat but nothing worked.  So all in all the problem is located somewhere in the data.ini file.

This is why I told you to compare the files, not do a wholesale copy and paste.

Restore your F/A-18B data.ini and do what Romflyer says...that will at least completely remove the ability of the rudders to toe at all.

FC

This should fix the rudders for you.......

comment out the rudder toe in/toe out statements under both Left and RightVertTails thusly:

SystemName[005]=//LeftRudderToeOut

SystemName[006]=//LeftRudderToeIn

SystemName[005]=//RightRudderToeOut

SystemName[006]=//RightRudderToeIn

Cheers

Romflyer

This worked!!! Thx.  :smile: