Sign in to follow this  
von Baur

Settng Affinities in Windows 7 64

I heard this phrase, and I think I even stumbled upon it at one point, but I can't seem to find it now. I have CPU Control, so I can take everything off CPU 1 prior to starting up WOFF. The problem is tha my computer still assigns WOFF to all four processors. I'd like to be able to program Windos to assign it (and  CFS3, for that matter) to run only on CPU1. Can anyone help me?

I have used Bill2's Process Manager. A small piece of freeware. Just "google" it.

I heard this phrase, and I think I even stumbled upon it at one point, but I can't seem to find it now. I have CPU Control, so I can take everything off CPU 1 prior to starting up WOFF. The problem is tha my computer still assigns WOFF to all four processors. I'd like to be able to program Windos to assign it (and  CFS3, for that matter) to run only on CPU1. Can anyone help me?

I did try this software on my sons system and I know that this 2007 software, is doing strange things when running more then 4 cores. But suppose you run a 4core system and have selected the 4core checkbox [in options].  You have to set all to manual mode, and make a profile. Now run Woff start a mission [CFS3.exe is starting], go to pause and alt/tab 

Rest to explain is in the picture, think it is the CFS3.exe that is causing max load not Woff btw. 

CPUControl.jpg  

There is an easy way to do this.  Hit Ctrl, Alt, Delete and go to the task manager.  Once there, go to the Processes tab, right click on the program you want to set the affinity for and pick Set Affinity from the drop down menu.

Beard

Seems I must select the CPU every time after starting WOFF again, Beard?

It doesn't seem to remember my selection.

The method Beard refers to will allow you to set CPU core affinity - it's good because, being part of the OS, it generally behaves well and it's free.

The issue that Olham points out is that this method is not 'persistent'; it doesn't store the setting anywhere.  Some of the programs mentioned above include specific means to do that, but (as with all such utilities) YMMV and there can be drawbacks; use these utilities "at your own risk".

HTH

Edited by Tamper

I use Process Lasso to set affinities for WOFF, CFS3 and TrackIr.  It remembers the affinities you set.   And it is free. 

Edited by JimAttrill
  • Like 1

Did not read this topic after I had posted my reply.

I had discussed this also on Simhq before the whole bunch did take it over. But here is something for you that is interesting:  http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/37272/set-a-programs-affinity-in-windows-7-for-better-performance/