Sign in to follow this  
VonS

Red Baron 3D on a Mac

Greetings CombatACE Users,

Thought I'd let everyone know in the Red Baron II and RB3D communities (perhaps many of you who are also happily here on CombatACE, especially FE/FE2) that my resources and install tips Google+ page is now up, devoted to all things RB3D related, with emphasis on RB3D on Macs. Flybert's Chateau seems to have disappeared from the internet, among other important sites devoted to RB3D - so I thought it would be a good idea to bring some tips together on an easily accessible page, before they disappear entirely.

Link to the site:

[removed old link]

I'll expand my Google+ site as necessary, and if lots of people are still interested in running RB3D, especially on a Mac or Linux.

I've managed to get the Hell's Angels Super Patch, also the MMP game, including the campaigns (western front, eastern front, Italian front, middle east) all installed and functioning well in WineSkin, both in the WS9 1.7.1 D3D Boost wrapper, also WS9 1.7.7, and in the custom wrapper available on the Paul The Tall website that's linked to on my site. Other installs I've managed to get working are standard SP ones using the ReDux Gold FM that used to be posted on the Red Baron ReDux website, and also Hell's Angels Gold using the Royce II FM.

Good to know is that the ReLoad panel works beautifully in the wrappers. The game plays best in windowed mode (not fullscreen) and works fine at a resolution of 1280 x 1024 using the FCJ (Full Canvas Jacket) settings panel, although it would be great to get the game in widescreen if possible (with a normal, non-stretched picture ratio).

I won't be uploading my custom-installed wrappers to my website (even though everything is patched from the free German version of Red Baron II that's still available to download on Virtual Aces) - since I don't know what the copyright policy is like on the "abandonware" game - but my site will bring together how-tos and other helpful info. as necessary.

Please see the Google+ site for more thorough info. on RB3D on a Mac.

Happy Flying!,
Von S

Edited by VonS
Removed obsolete link.

Thank you sir for the kind words. I will update the RB3D website as necessary.

On an unrelated note, I wish to add that First Eagles 2 (although a Windows game) also works beautifully on a Mac - in the WS8 1.5.1 wrapper (in WineSkin), with Direct X (ver. 11) extensions installed via "winetricks." Those who are on Macs have no reason to hesitate if interested in purchasing that WWI flight sim from ThirdWire. The other great thing about FE2 is that, since it's a fairly new game, no keyboard-to-joystick mapping program is needed with it on a Mac - it recognizes USB joysticks immediately, even in WineSkin.

ROF and OFF/WOFF, on the other hand, I do not recommend for Macs - it is (currently) nearly impossible to get them working in WineSkin - but RB3D (free when patched from the German ed. of RBII) and FE2 (fairly new, beautiful, and not too expensive) are still excellent choices in WineSkin on a Mac.

Happy flying,

Von S

Hi Tzhitor,

Nice to see that someone is willing to put up a new site for this great old game, RB2 and 3D are great playing games even today, the graphics are very dated but the game plays well, I use to mod RB3D back in 2005 to 2007 I have a lot of the stuff that was on the now gone Flybert site and even stuff that he did not have all in archives, none of it is uploaded so I have no links to give to you, sorry!, the mods I made where new planes, ground vehicles and Zeppelin all user operated and was last working on new full 3D cockpits as we had TrackerIR working in game and we got to look around in the pit we seen right down to the ground so new full pits where needed, here is my old RB website front page, the forum is no longer because of spammers, but the downloads still work for my modded game called Cold War here is a link; 

http://home.kpn.nl/lord.e.frauenfelder/intern.html

It was for a online tournament game 3 sets of planes starting with CW2 being early years plane set and CW3 being mid years plane set and CW4.1 being late years planes and it was a go through the years tournament that lasted 9 weekends and worked off of AFM flight model, it was also the last BIG tournament game played in RB3D with over 250 people from all RB Sq's, we use to fill the server with 60 players each time we played and even some players would play a half game to give another from his side a change to play, yes them where the good old days of RB3D for me.

Deutschmark   

Thank you Deutschmark for the kind words. It's great to hear from people still interested in RB3D. I will definitely check out your website and the mods included there.

Yes the game still plays great and the modded FMs such as Greybeard's are very realistic too, making it a pleasure and challenge to fly the planes. The graphics are a bit dated, but I like their charm - they look a little bit like a really well done cartoon from the 1950s or 60s - especially with a glide wrapper included.

Happy flying,

Von S

It's great to hear from people still interested in RB3D.

Well as a modder my interest are no longer in RB3D as I have moved on many years ago to other games that lets me express my modding work abilities even more.

Deutschmark  

Hello Gents,

Owing to the Google+ revamping that happened sometime in November I think, the new and "minimal" look of the site is no longer effective for the RB3D on a Mac page to present its content efficiently. I've therefore taken the RB3D on a Mac site down from Google+ but will have it up and running using good old HTML in my DropBox public folder, in about a month I hope. Will post the new link here once I upload a streamlined and easy-to-access version of the site.

In the meantime happy flying with FE2,

Von S

Hello RB3D Flyers,

Further changes to DropBox required that I change the link to the RB3D installation file (for Apple/Mac). Here's the link

[link removed]

And happy flying in the RB3D skies,

Von S

Edited by VonS
Removed obsolete link.

Had some free time to exercise my web development skills :biggrin: so I've transferred over the old RB3D on a Mac site to Wix.com since they host free websites. Checked over the links too and updated a few things. I think it looks better over on Wix than the ugly rtf file I had up on DropBox. The new link is:

https://tinyurl.com/macbaron3d

Another interesting thing is that the Full Canvas Jacket Superpatch is freely available now online after having been unavailable for years. See these Steam debates over here for more info.:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/263940/discussions/0/2549465882927651357/

I've included a link to the patch under the "Q & A" section of the RB3D site if anyone's still flying this old but classic sim.

Happy flying,

Von S :smile: