Okay, I've tested out the new, attached file and it comes out clean using several AV programs.

The viewer is an awesome first start.  I've been wanting a light, fast viewer for texturing, because even 3D max is clunky with updating textures as you change them and of course booting into SF2 takes forever.

Nice job mue.  Texture gurus I think will find this program VERY useful.

FC

I dropped a lod and the textures in a temp folder, no ini and it's very clear and clean. The lines show much better then in max. Searching for misspelled mesh names in multiple lod's is eseyer then scanning out files. I Like it!

First, Sorry for the inconvenience regarding the file hoster.
Because of the upload limit (1 MB) on combatace.com I couldn't upload the 7 MB zip file. So I used a random file hoster.
Of course I tested the download link. And this is what I get:
post-52028-0-46257900-1421139323_thumb.jpg

One simple button for download. No ads. I found that ok.
So I couldn't believe that you guys get popups, malware warning and the likes.....

Eventually I figured it out: I have an adblocker browser addon installed and you probably not.
So I tested it with the adblocker disabled:

post-52028-0-01554300-1421139333_thumb.jpg

Two more download buttons, that are actually ads and link to malware crap.

Once again, sorry!!

Regarding your problems:

If texture folders are not selectable, that probably means the ini file couldn't be read. The program assumes the ini file of the same name as the lod file. But it seems thats not always the case. The feature "File->Open the ini file and then the program opens the referenced lod file" is on my todo list for the next version.

Regarding problems with textures are not shown:
Either...
the program couldn't find the files: the programm is file extension/type sensitive. E.g. if the lod file references "texture.bmp" the file has to be "texture.bmp" and not "texture.jpg" or "texture.tga". Probably the game engine is file type insensitive, right? So its on my todo list.
Or...
the format couldn't be read. I know of problems with some tga files.

Mue, random question, but this will only show one lod at a time, yeah? ie, If I'm using a model with additional added elements like the Altas Cheetah, can I get the additional lods to show as well? Oh, and I love this, btw! Thanks!

How is the additional lod referenced? In the ini file?

Hopping the. View rotation gets a refinement,

Can you give me more details, please.

post-52028-0-46257900-1421139323_thumb.jpg

post-52028-0-01554300-1421139333_thumb.jpg

Object rotations: I can't get it to rotate the direction I want, Maybe I'm I too used to 3dmax, or it might be my mouse. Still, it's a very nice tool.

Question: what mesh 'Piviot Point' dose it use? And is it selectable?

It needs a UV viewer as well. It's great to be able to see all the parts. But you need to know where the parts are on the .bmp to paint them. Is that a possibility?

If a texture is altered mue...is it possible to refresh LOD and it will update?...or need close and open it every time alter texture?...ty...good to see its the mig 29 I updated you chose...lol

Very useful. Thanks very much. What would it take to make a Windows XP-compatible version?

Even a ham-fisted amateur like me will find this useful. Thanks mue!

Great tool !

Since this tool is able to rebuild the vertex, lines, and faces in scenario, I am curious about that: is there any possible to write a plug-in which can import LODs into 3Dsmax ?

Well, THAT IS JUST CURIOUS.....   I have to say, tools of importing exported models is a.... double-edged sword. But at least, importing plug-ins for .bundledmesh and .W3D greatly expand the mod achievements of BF2 and C&C.

Edited by Velo

Object rotations: I can't get it to rotate the direction I want, Maybe I'm I too used to 3dmax, or it might be my mouse. Still, it's a very nice tool.

Question: what mesh 'Piviot Point' dose it use? And is it selectable?

I don't know the rotation behaviour of 3dmax but I can descibe what my program does:

In the default position the rotation center is the center of the objects bounding box. But this rotation/view center is changed by view translation (right click + move) along the current view axes. The rotation is always around the current view center either around the current horizontal view axis (left click + moving up down) or the vertical view axis (left click + moving left right).

It needs a UV viewer as well. It's great to be able to see all the parts. But you need to know where the parts are on the .bmp to paint them. Is that a possibility?

I don't know exactly what an UV viewer is. Is it drawing of the mesh on the bitmap like this:

post-52028-0-55538600-1421268891.jpg

Then the answer is yes, it can be done.

If a texture is altered mue...is it possible to refresh LOD and it will update?...or need close and open it every time alter texture?...ty...good to see its the mig 29 I updated you chose...lol

A texture reload button is on my todo list. As a workaround you can reselect the texture directory in the combo box (if the directory is shown there) for reloading the textures.

Very useful. Thanks very much. What would it take to make a Windows XP-compatible version?

I don't know yet. I will try to make the next version XP-compatible.

Great tool !

Since this tool is able to rebuild the vertex, lines, and faces in scenario, I am curious about that: is there any possible to write a plug-in which can import LODs into 3Dsmax ?

Well, THAT IS JUST CURIOUS.....   I have to say, tools of importing exported models is a.... double-edged sword. But at least, importing plug-ins for .bundledmesh and .W3D greatly expand the mod achievements of BF2 and C&C.

Theoretically it should be possible. But I don't know if it's beneficial to the community. Not everybody wants that his 3D work is converted and used/altered by others. But I don't know how the community thinks about it. I'm only guessing here.

I think more beneficial would be exporter for free/cheaper 3d designer applications like blender. But for writing an exporter one has to know the complete lod format. And I still don't understand parts of the header and the material description :-(

post-52028-0-55538600-1421268891.jpg

• Like 3

While some would not want their work modified by others, if you figure out a way that newer versions of 3ds max can be exported into the game, or at least into max 2009 to be exported into game that would be awesome. A big hinderance to having more 3d guys right now is non availability of 3ds max 2009 edition.

Thank you for working on this!

Great tool, but I don't think it would be a good idea to be able to convert the lods for "remodelling" in Max, it would be a free for all and lead to all sorts of arguments.

• Like 1

Theoretically it should be possible. But I don't know if it's beneficial to the community. Not everybody wants that his 3D work is converted and used/altered by others. But I don't know how the community thinks about it. I'm only guessing here.

I think more beneficial would be exporter for free/cheaper 3d designer applications like blender. But for writing an exporter one has to know the complete lod format. And I still don't understand parts of the header and the material description :-(

Mue, you are exactly right here...please don't attempt to create a LOD converter/reverse engineering program...like others have said, it can result in legal issues (for payware) and general discontent among 3d modders.  3d modders can (and have) released 3d models in MAX format for modification by others if they wanted to.

I think a LOD exporter for something like Blender would be fantastic on the other hand.  But I suspect that would be a soul crushing amount of work.

If you are having problems finding a hosting site, consider something like Google Drive, which is free, has much, much higher uploading limits...and no attempts at malware or spam for downloaders.  You can set the individual permissions for any files you upload (download only, public, private, etc).

FC

• Like 2

Outstanding achievement - and you should be commended for creating this tool.

But like others have said and I also thoroughly agree....I would kindly ask if you would please respect the time, talents and efforts of all 3D works and distribute this as a viewer only....thanks for your consideration.

• Like 1

I would vote for import option since I lost a lot of source files of released planes and objects :-(

Even payware PRO version is option for me.

Monty CZ

good idea monty  ive lost a few max files of a\c ive made....would be good to import LOD and be able to salvage the model.

I understand the frustration of losing models and work; can clearly empathize with that as it's happened to us as well.

Just a consideration...but for the minority why not just provide proof that you're the original author and ask him to convert the models for you on a case-by-case basis?

Rather than putting out a potential "reverse engineering tool" for the masses (which would stir all kinds of controversary)...

• Like 4

This will be great for skinners or just model viewing in general. I have a couple of suggestions -

I know you mentioned TGA issues but once you get that sorted, have the ability to show decals. This small addition alone will be all a skinner might need.

Have you given thought to including the ability of viewing the animations as well? Unless I missed it, I can't view aircraft with gear down.

Thanks for creating this! :good: It already helped me find a nodename, that I couldn't find in the past.

I too think, that this could also be a great tool for skinners. One little thing I'd like to see in later releases would be some sort of ruler or crosshair with coordinates (if possible, of course), to help position decals on a model.

• Like 1

Let us be clear, "reverse-engineering" is not a crime, it might be a breach of contract under certain legal systems, but reverse engineering something you have a legal ownership or licence over is actually a good thing, it starts becoming a problem depending on what you do with that newly found knowledge/content.

What is legally and ethically dubious is to use that ability to either pass someone else work as your own, or distribute in ways the original author didn't intend or allow.

The first priority of the community should be to keep itself alive and make the work of modders easier while staying legal and ethical, not to handicap itself to increase revenues of payware, however good it is and however nice the people behind it are.

Believe me, if someone wants to profit from your hard work, they will, whether honest modders have easy access to the tools or not.

An acceptable compromise in my opinion would be to have a read-only version generally available, and a full version accessible though CombatAce only to members recognized as modders or having proven they will not use it to abuse someone else's work.

Edited by Gunrunner
  • Like 2

I thinks this is getting off track! Mue you made a very nice and much needed lod viewer. I'm content to use it as intended, to view lod's only.

Thank you for making it.

• Like 5

I have no plans to write a converter.

The LODViewer is in fact a first step to a bigger project. For me it helped me to get familiar with the Qt-Toolkit and to see if I can display LOD objects with textures via OpenGL.

The bigger project will be a target area editor. With this program it should be possible to place target objects interactive into the 3D scenery (inclusive displaying of TODs and tiles).

But before I start with the target area editor I work on an update of the LODViewer.

Unfortunately my free time is limited, so please be patient!

• Like 14

I Agree With mue's approach.The Need For An Object Texture Editor Without The Use Of A Object Converter
Is The way To Go.This Should Not Preclude Permission From Object Author To Upload Skins Unless Author
Has Already Granted Permission To Do So With Original Readme Attached Or Reference To Object,Texture
Author Mentioned.Attached SA-5 Variant By FastCargo

I Have Several Vega-Dubna Variants

FastCargo's Quotes From Readme

I have included all the texture templates along with the reference materials I used to build the models.  Note there were several paint schemes...plus pictures of missiles in various states of repair.  The templates should make it easier to make paint schemes for specific theatres...and to make better skins for the launch rail and Square Pair radar.

post-62958-0-18550100-1421542139_thumb.jpg

post-62958-0-40548700-1421542165_thumb.jpg

Great tool Mue! :good:

It would be a nice feature if the tool could export textures that show where parts are placed on the textures.

That would make skinning much easier.

I have no plans to write a converter.

The LODViewer is in fact a first step to a bigger project. For me it helped me to get familiar with the Qt-Toolkit and to see if I can display LOD objects with textures via OpenGL.

The bigger project will be a target area editor. With this program it should be possible to place target objects interactive into the 3D scenery (inclusive displaying of TODs and tiles).

But before I start with the target area editor I work on an update of the LODViewer.

Unfortunately my free time is limited, so please be patient!

That would be a great idea !